Date: 29-03-24  Time: 11:08 am

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1586592 times)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #8350 on: 08 July 2020, 09:34:11 am »
Glad you're okay, but what happened to the side stand, did it break or something?
Later

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8351 on: 08 July 2020, 10:33:36 am »
Glad you're okay, but what happened to the side stand, did it break or something?

The metal looks like it's just sheared away (see the pic).

It's only a hollow tube, so if it's under compression with the weight going "down" the tube, it's strong enough, but the only thing I can think of is that, because the road has quite a steep camber and I parked the bike with the back wheel towards the kerb, the pressure on the stand was pushing it "forwards" rather than the bike just leaning against it to the side.

I presume that it's weakened over the years (2006 registration) and this was just enough to push it to the breaking point :(

ADDENDUM: It's just occurred to me that, of course, I've been using it to jog the starter (or whatever was causing the "doesn't want to start" problem) by putting it down and then "flicking" it back up to send a jolt through the starter/ engine/ switches/ whatever and that probably didn't help...
« Last Edit: 08 July 2020, 10:36:34 am by Grahamm »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8352 on: 08 July 2020, 11:03:33 am »
That's the first time I've seen or heard of a side stand snapping, blimey.  Even i when left down or crashed the bend, there's no real side or share weight on them in operation it's all pretty much straight down force, very odd.

It's very possible whatever's caused this to fracture has damaged the side stand switch and would go a long way to explaining your past problems with the switch. 

I quick fix is to get it welded until you can get hold of a replacement, that said if it's welded correctly, bit of grinding and a paint it'll be good as new.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2020, 11:05:27 am by Gnasher »
Later

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8353 on: 08 July 2020, 01:11:20 pm »

The metal looks like it's just sheared away (see the pic).

It's only a hollow tube, so if it's under compression with the weight going "down" the tube, it's strong enough, but the only thing I can think of is that, because the road has quite a steep camber and I parked the bike with the back wheel towards the kerb, the pressure on the stand was pushing it "forwards" rather than the bike just leaning against it to the side.

I presume that it's weakened over the years (2006 registration) and this was just enough to push it to the breaking point :(

ADDENDUM: It's just occurred to me that, of course, I've been using it to jog the starter (or whatever was causing the "doesn't want to start" problem) by putting it down and then "flicking" it back up to send a jolt through the starter/ engine/ switches/ whatever and that probably didn't help...

I wonder if the bikes been lowered at the rear in the past. The owner would have shortened the stand to suit the new height, is it a welded joint thats failed?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8354 on: 08 July 2020, 01:20:22 pm »
Could be mate, you do get owners doing very strange things to their bike  :rolleyes 
Later

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8355 on: 08 July 2020, 02:36:13 pm »
At least lowering kits have allowed any vertically challenged riders to usually have the bike of their choice, rather than a Serrow, a Virago or nothing. My sidestand is altered (made longer), in order to accommodate a 50mm jack up, to avoid leaning over at crazy angles at any hint of negative camber, especially when loaded with camping gear.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8356 on: 08 July 2020, 04:56:27 pm »
That's the first time I've seen or heard of a side stand snapping, blimey.  Even i when left down or crashed the bend, there's no real side or share weight on them in operation it's all pretty much straight down force, very odd.

As I mentioned, the road has a pretty steep camber, so it's possible that the bike rolled back a bit because the rear tyre wasn't against the kerb and the "foot" didn't slide, so it's like bending a tube in the middle where it's weakest :(

It's very possible whatever's caused this to fracture has damaged the side stand switch and would go a long way to explaining your past problems with the switch. 

I had tested the switch with a multimeter and it seemed to be fine, giving the correct zero resistance/ infinite resistance responses, but you've made me think...

I was worried that the "auto kill" would cut in when I put the bike into gear as it was still running and in neutral when the stand collapsed and I didn't switch it off.

I was thinking that I'd have to push it all the way back around the other side of the block to get to the alleyway where my shed is, but it kept running (fortunately)!

But I've just had a look at the side stand switch and it's not pushed in, because, obviously, there's no stand to push it in, yet it must have been like that after the stand broke.

Luckily, though, I've bought a new (second hand) stand *with* the switch, so I'll just change over the whole unit.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8357 on: 08 July 2020, 04:58:17 pm »
I wonder if the bikes been lowered at the rear in the past. The owner would have shortened the stand to suit the new height, is it a welded joint thats failed?

Lol, nope! I was the one who was thinking of getting it lowered. I actually had bought a lowering link in the past, but in the end never used it.

As for welding the stand, the sensible thing to do would be to cut the "foot" off, shorten the "leg", then weld the foot back on, so, even if it breaks off, there's still something there to support the bike.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8358 on: 09 July 2020, 08:14:18 pm »
So, the saga continues, with a twist...!

I didn't have much time today, due to work pressures, but I took the opportunity to check the main fuse and ignition fuse etc, even though I was pretty sure that, had they gone, it wouldn't even run if I bump started it.

Anyway, they were fine, but, when I came to switch on, it was fine with no sign of the Error Code 12!

I used a piece of broomstick and a brick to push the sidestand cut-off switch in and tried the starter. The Check Engine and ABS lights came on and stayed on whilst I was pressing the start button. This is the same thing that would happen when I'd have to flick the side stand up to jolt the bike, after which it would often start, but not this time.

I tried giving the starter motor a couple of taps with a hammer, then pressed the start button again, but got the same thing.

I lifted the starter relay, cleaned up the wiring contacts, then took the rubber covers off the connectors to the battery and starter motor and (having checked there was zero volts going through it so I wouldn't fry my multimeter) tested if there was any continuity through the starter, but there wasn't which is how it should be.

So (somewhat nervously, I have to add!) I took a pair of pliers with insulated handles and touched one side to the starter contact and then (after a couple of spectacular sparks  :eek ) I managed to get the other one against the battery terminal and got the wonderful sound of the bike starting!

I'm not quite sure where this leaves me.

I don't have a set of jump leads, so I can't check the starter relay on its own. It doesn't seem to click when I press the starter, but the fact that the check engine and ABS light come on suggests that there's something in the bike's circuitry that's stopping it from turning over the engine, rather than there actually being a fault.

I'm going to have to keep looking at this and eventually I may find something that makes sense...!
« Last Edit: 09 July 2020, 08:16:32 pm by Grahamm »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8359 on: 10 July 2020, 09:29:42 am »
Mate sparks  :eek please be careful it's quite easy to bugger your ECU when sort circuiting components, which is why I mentioned about resistance testing. 

From what you saying, it's a relay fault and I think you've got a intermittent fault on the side stand switch.  Often they just corrode inside which stops the mechanical switches moving and/or the coils energising, either way they don't work and your bike won't start.             

Later

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8360 on: 13 July 2020, 12:28:42 am »
If it ain't one foccing thing, it's another...!

My new Starter Relay turned up yesterday and, as soon as I'd got it installed, there was no sign of the Error 12 and it started on the button! :thumbup

Unfortunately I didn't have the time to do a check ride yesterday, but it seemed ok.

So today, despite the ongoing lack of a sidestand (it was supposed to have been delivered by Hermes on either Friday or Saturday, yeah, right) which meant that I had to get my girlfriend to help hold the bike up whilst I got on (I've got short legs and can't get my leg over [snigger] and get it off the centre stand).

Everything was fine until I was on my way out of Portsmouth and, whilst I was stopped at traffic lights on the roundabout at the bottom of the Mile End Road, the engine suddenly cut out.

I pressed the starter and it fired ok, but then, about 100 yards short of where it changes to the M275, the engine died on me entirely and left me stranded against the kerb of the central reservation as traffic on my left prevented me pulling over that way.

Unfortunately, I was now stuck, because I couldn't get off the bike without the side stand and, even if I could, since I was loaded up with panniers and top box full of stock (I was on my way to a Market), I wouldn't have been able to get it onto the centre stand :(

Fortunately, another biker was not far behind me and saw I was in trouble, so pulled up behind me, got off and directed traffic to go "underneath" me, then gave me a hand to get the bike across the road and into a bus stop on the non-motorway side of the road and then lift it onto the centre stand.

I tried the starter again without any luck and when I switched off and back on again, I couldn't hear the pump priming.

So I lifted the tank checked the fuel pump connector was securely in place, the breather pipe wasn't kinked and, because something like this had happened years ago when I first got the bike, I flicked the Kill Switch a few times as a duff KS had resulted in a similar situation.

Thankfully, when I tried the starter again, it fired and, by leaning the left pannier against a litter bin, I was able to remount and ride on.

Of course this did mean that every time the bike went over a bump or I was buffetted by a bit of wind, I was paranoid that it was going to cut out again.

Fortunately that didn't happen and someone helped hold the bike at the market when I arrived so I could park up and the ride home was uneventful, so, with any luck, the new side stand will arrive tomorrow and I can get back on and off properly, then do a proper check ride :thumbup

Oh and a PS to this: The Market was in Rottingdean near Brighton.

Whilst I was riding back down the Bazehill road towards Rottingdean, there was a guy standing by a car on the side of the road who appeared to be staring at me and seemed to be shading his eyes or something.

It wasn't until I was about 100 yards past him and about to turn a corner that I suddenly thought "Hang on, was that a FOC-U salute?!"

So if it was, and it was you, my apologies for not responding, but I was worrying about whether the bike was going to keep running and the gravel and pot-holes in the road! :(

« Last Edit: 13 July 2020, 12:34:33 am by Grahamm »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8361 on: 13 July 2020, 10:30:57 am »
Went on my annual day trip whizz to Cornwall(yesterday), 474 miles door to door. A new roundabout had sprung up since last year, which created an interesting recalculation moment :eek :lol .
« Last Edit: 13 July 2020, 10:32:01 am by robbo »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8362 on: 15 July 2020, 10:48:00 pm »
Just back from bike night at The Haven, just east of Salisbury on the A30. As cafe owners have been instructed by the govt to not promote any special events, this evening was very poorly attended, certainly whilst I was there. The A272 was absolutely perfect on the way home, despite a hint of rain in the air. The only traffic I encountered, was in the villages, which made all the good stretches an absolute joy. I was billy no mates today, so the afternoon/evening resulted in being an excellent 221 mile ride for a burger :lol .

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8363 on: 16 July 2020, 12:11:41 am »

My new Starter Relay turned up yesterday and, as soon as I'd got it installed, there was no sign of the Error 12 and it started on the button! :thumbup

Unfortunately I didn't have the time to do a check ride yesterday, but it seemed ok.

So today, despite the ongoing lack of a sidestand (it was supposed to have been delivered by Hermes on either Friday or Saturday, yeah, right) which meant that I had to get my girlfriend to help hold the bike up whilst I got on (I've got short legs and can't get my leg over [snigger] and get it off the centre stand).

Everything was fine until I was on my way out of Portsmouth and, whilst I was stopped at traffic lights on the roundabout at the bottom of the Mile End Road, the engine suddenly cut out.

I pressed the starter and it fired ok, but then, about 100 yards short of where it changes to the M275, the engine died on me entirely and left me stranded against the kerb of the central reservation as traffic on my left prevented me pulling over that way.

Unfortunately, I was now stuck, because I couldn't get off the bike without the side stand and, even if I could, since I was loaded up with panniers and top box full of stock (I was on my way to a Market), I wouldn't have been able to get it onto the centre stand :(

Fortunately, another biker was not far behind me and saw I was in trouble, so pulled up behind me, got off and directed traffic to go "underneath" me, then gave me a hand to get the bike across the road and into a bus stop on the non-motorway side of the road and then lift it onto the centre stand.

I tried the starter again without any luck and when I switched off and back on again, I couldn't hear the pump priming.

So I lifted the tank checked the fuel pump connector was securely in place, the breather pipe wasn't kinked and, because something like this had happened years ago when I first got the bike, I flicked the Kill Switch a few times as a duff KS had resulted in a similar situation.

Thankfully, when I tried the starter again, it fired and, by leaning the left pannier against a litter bin, I was able to remount and ride on.

Of course this did mean that every time the bike went over a bump or I was buffetted by a bit of wind, I was paranoid that it was going to cut out again.

Fortunately that didn't happen and someone helped hold the bike at the market when I arrived so I could park up and the ride home was uneventful, so, with any luck, the new side stand will arrive tomorrow and I can get back on and off properly, then do a proper check ride :thumbup

Whilst I was riding back down the Bazehill road towards Rottingdean, there was a guy standing by a car on the side of the road who appeared to be staring at me and seemed to be shading his eyes or something.

It wasn't until I was about 100 yards past him and about to turn a corner that I suddenly thought "Hang on, was that a FOC-U salute?!"

So if it was, and it was you, my apologies for not responding, but I was worrying about whether the bike was going to keep running and the gravel and pot-holes in the road! :(

what's a FOC-U salute ?
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8364 on: 16 July 2020, 12:44:40 am »

Glad it was all ok in the end. I'd be inclined to get some Duck Oil (TM) in that kill switch to prevent that from ever being an issue in the future
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8365 on: 16 July 2020, 01:06:00 am »
what's a FOC-U salute ?

Raising a clenched left fist to the left side of your helmet.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8366 on: 16 July 2020, 01:10:21 am »
Glad it was all ok in the end. I'd be inclined to get some Duck Oil (TM) in that kill switch to prevent that from ever being an issue in the future

Duck Oil is a new one on me.

I was planning on using WD 40 contact cleaner and then WD 40 itself on all the switches (clutch, neutral, kill switch, side stand), but is Duck Oil better?

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8367 on: 16 July 2020, 07:48:10 pm »
Ordered some new boots. Old PR2 have covered approx 6k and rear is about toast. £130 delivered from M and P for a pair of Roadsmarts.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8368 on: 16 July 2020, 08:09:34 pm »
Ordered some new boots. Old PR2 have covered approx 6k and rear is about toast. £130 delivered from M and P for a pair of Roadsmarts.
6K don't sound a lot to me.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8369 on: 16 July 2020, 08:29:55 pm »
Took the Thou on a nice run from Worcester, up to Sherburn-in-Elmet airfield and back to Worcester. 300 miles without missing a beat.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8370 on: 16 July 2020, 08:34:14 pm »
[/quote

Hoping the Roadsmarts will return a bit more. Had a  fair bit of motorway which I think has resulted in the middle taking more hammer than usual. Front has loads of tread left but doing the pair due to age.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8371 on: 16 July 2020, 08:35:37 pm »
[/quote

Hoping the Roadsmarts will return a bit more. Had a  fair bit of motorway which I think has resulted in the middle taking more hammer than usual. Front has loads of tread left but doing the pair due to age.
I see.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8372 on: 17 July 2020, 10:25:37 pm »
At last got the replacement side stand in place and took the bike for a good ride around the block to check everything is working (seems so) and there's no sign of the engine dying as happened last weekend!

Tomorrow I plan on getting out for my first proper fun ride (ie not being loaded down with luggage!) and seeing what it's like with the new rear shock, fork springs, 4 degree ignition advancer and braided brake lines...   :thumbup

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8373 on: 18 July 2020, 04:25:06 pm »
So, I finally got to try out the bike with all the mods in place and it's definitely very nice to ride!

I do need to do some work on the suspension settings, I think I need reduce the preload and get some more sag on the rear (I only weigh 64kg, so I think it's a bit too harsh as stock.

Also I might reduce the oil level on the fork springs slightly too, for pretty much the same reason.

But the braided lines and ignition advancer give much better power control :thumbup

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8374 on: 18 July 2020, 05:10:42 pm »
Fitted a replacement clutch cable, purely as a precaution. Saves taking a spare on my next serious trip.