Date: 24-04-24  Time: 04:17 am

Author Topic: Camera question  (Read 3345 times)

mr grimsdale

• AKA Lastinspace
    imageMay 09
  • GP Hero
  • AKA Lastinspace:The one and only
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda vfr vtec 2005
    • View Profile
Camera question
« on: 25 September 2012, 08:15:43 pm »
My 16 year old son has taken an interest in photography lately, so was looking to buy him a good starter DSLR, he has done a bit of research himself and came up with the Nikon D3100.

Have read some reviews and done a bit of googling but as I aint a camera keek was hoping to get someone on here with a bit of knowledge. I know there are a few of you out there so any help on the best budget dslr would be great.   :)
Davie.........yes I am that man.

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Re: Camera question
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2012, 09:42:09 pm »
From what i've read on it it sounds like an OK camera.

I've got a D5000 for my first forray into digital images, and so far it's been pretty good.

PS some kit lenses have plastic mounts and are not for real world use... Treat them gently when they're mounted to the body.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Tori

• Tent Pole Erector / Truck Hunter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2012, 10:44:14 pm »
I'm not a Nikon user so I can't really advise much either I'm afraid.
I'm a canon girl, and I think their entry level stuff can be pretty damn good, and will keep up with some of the better Nikon boys. I have a canon 500d. It's classed as an entry level dslr. I love it to bits and it's a cracking camera if you know it in and out. I push it to it's limits now, but I think it compares very favourably to some of the early Nikon stuff.
Nikon is said to be better when you push the ISO. For a beginner this may be good with kit lenses. For me, with 1.8 lenses, it makes no odds as I have no reason to push iso that high.

I'm afraid that's about my extent of Nikon....Good luck! :)

mr grimsdale

• AKA Lastinspace
    imageMay 09
  • GP Hero
  • AKA Lastinspace:The one and only
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda vfr vtec 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2012, 09:37:16 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation, think the Canon 500D seems to be a better camera, and the price is a lot more affordable.

Would you recommend any lenses? Or would the standard 18mm-55mm IS Lens be the best for a beginner?
Davie.........yes I am that man.

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC
    • View Profile
    • a two wheeled charity ride without engines
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2012, 11:01:22 pm »
re the lens, have him think what subjects he'd most like to shoot and that will dictate which lens focal range to consider. also consider the lens options of the entire range - some are easier to get on the second hand market.
speaking of which, you could get a 1, 2 or 3 year old, high spec body for the price of a starter kit. but don't rule out his preference just down to cost - if it's his camera it'll be better if he chooses it? confused?

breadlord

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2012, 03:49:50 pm »
I'd skip the 3100; It's a decent enough camera but it's a bit of a toy SLR. I'd jump up a level and go for the 5100:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5100.htm

One of the reasons people choose Nikon over Canon is that you can get lenses from 40 years ago that will work on the most recent body, it's all backward compatible. Canon tend to chuck out their lens systems after fifteen years or so.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2012, 03:51:22 pm by breadlord »

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2012, 03:58:20 pm »
Davie, speak to Shitehawk and MikeR on farcebook, they were messaging one of the big firms on their dodgy UK prices one day last week.
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2012, 07:08:25 pm »
One of the reasons people choose Nikon over Canon is that you can get lenses from 40 years ago that will work on the most recent body, it's all backward compatible. Canon tend to chuck out their lens systems after fifteen years or so.

The Nikon mount is fully compatible across the range.  However not all the features on the latest Nikon lenses will work with all cameras across the Nikon lens.

Correct me if I don't get this right.....  Canon has had two main bayonet SLR mounts, FD series and EF series.  FD is the old manual focus series, EF the new series, launched I think in 1987, which is the autofocus EOS camera lens.  There is also EFS, which is for the APS sized SLR's only (EF can also be used on APS sized SLR's.)

Nikon, Canon,Sony, Olympus, you can't go wrong.  Olympus are doing more of their own thing - their format being the smaller but beautifully proportioned 4/3rds system.

Used? Yup there's some great buys out there.  Beware of e-bay, individual and small company sellers descriptions are usually well wide of the mark.  Check out dealers like Mifsuds, Camtech and Ffordes, all have massive used stock, good reputations and if they says it's mint it is mint, plus if you ain't happy just return it, and you should get at least a 3mnth warranty if not 6mnths. 

Lenses? A Kit lens is what most folks start out with.  If you catch the bug, then you can't start worrying/saving for good fast glass.

For what it's worth I use Canon.  Bought my first Canon in 1990, usually once you buy into a system you stick with it, it costs a fortune to switch, and a camera is just a camera anyway.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2012, 07:11:20 pm »
Oh this is handy for trying to suss out Canon's range if buying a used example.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 September 2012, 07:16:50 pm »
Have you considered second hand? I got my daughter a camera (Canon) from someone on here then got some extra lenses, some new some second hand, from eBay. Buy a good memory card though, I bought a cheap one from eBay and it kept causing problems, sorted with pucka one from Jessops

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 September 2012, 07:27:30 pm »
It's just as well I'm no into cameras, cos working in public sector there's far too many acronyms as it is. Have you got a glossary there Andy?
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

breadlord

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 September 2012, 03:43:56 am »
The Nikon mount is fully compatible across the range.  However not all the features on the latest Nikon lenses will work with all cameras across the Nikon lens.
Yes, this is true. The lower end models don't have the focus motor in body, so you have to use the newer S lenses.

As for the *really* old lenses, they're pre AI; they don't know what aperture they're on, so they can meter incorrectly. But everything mid range and above incorporates the old systems so you can still use them.

Tori

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 September 2012, 09:00:37 am »
Thanks for the recommendation, think the Canon 500D seems to be a better camera, and the price is a lot more affordable.

Would you recommend any lenses? Or would the standard 18mm-55mm IS Lens be the best for a beginner?

If you go for the 500d I can give you as much help as you possibly need. I know it inside outside. Brilliant camera for a beginner, pushed to its full capabilities it would last into intermediate/advanced ish used correctly.

As for lenses, the kit lens is average. Don't waste money on cheap lenses. (Except the 50mm 1.8 mk2 prime, which you can pick up as cheap as £70. Essential lens with great depth of field. Its built like a kids toy sadly (in just under two years I broke two!) I've now invested in the older mk 1 which has a metal mount rather than plastic. I love it.

Depending on what you want to shoot will depend what lenses you'll need. Basically, invest more in your glass, and the 500d would do you great :)

t140

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - T140W
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 September 2012, 12:24:12 pm »
Dont forget to look at pentax
Nobody is perfect, but being Scottish is a start

Tori

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 September 2012, 01:10:40 pm »
Pentax are a bit behind with the times in my opinion.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 September 2012, 06:25:50 pm »
Have you got a glossary there Andy?

Who me?  Which terms are a prob?  Just ask.

cos working in public sector there's far too many acronyms as it is.

And you think there ain't any in the private sector?   I started in the public sector, then we got privatised.  I can't believe how much things have changed.  Yes acronyms, buzz words  and micro management.  I feel at times I'm just about surviving in a whole sea of the stuff.

Lenses?  I wouldn't worry about em if you are just starting out.  If you catch the bug, then's the time to worry. 

The EF 50mmf1.8 mk2?  I used one for years, brilliant lens.  I gave it away with a 5D I sold, and upgraded to the EF50mmf1.4.  I miss the f1.8 version, it's just got something.  I suspect it's being super sharp but only having five blades, it gives it a slightly different look from everything else out there.

The good thing about getting the EF50mmf1.8, if you do get the bug, is that for not a lot of money it shows what a sharp lens is all about.  There ain't many optical bargains out there, but that is definately one of em.

My two best three tips for anybody getting keen would perhaps be. 

1.   Always remember it's about the photograph, photographers take photographs not cameras.    The worst lens I have ever used was a Canon EF28-90 USM kit lens.  Seriously rubbish.  But a very underexposed frame, taken with that crap lens on a roll of then poorly processed Ilford EXP2, which I in turn spent a few hours working on in the darkroom (a recovery job as I knew I had something a wee bit special on that neg) ended up as a book cover. 

2.  Learn the basics.  Exposure is about shutter speed, aperture and ISO (your sensitivity setting)  Get out of programe modes as soon as you can.   Getting it right always saves time (see above) Also autofocus systems need to told exactly what to focus on, they cannot read your mind.

3.  Often the difference between a dull picture and top notch image is in the finishing.  Capturing the image is the start of the process not the end of it.  Today that means time spent with image manipulation software. 

Tori

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 September 2012, 07:25:25 pm »
VNA, where are you putting your photos up? Are you on Flickr?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile

breadlord

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 September 2012, 09:36:45 pm »
More than anything, have him *hold* the cameras in question. What decided Nikon for me over Canon was that when I held two cameras at a similar pricepoint (The D70s and the 400D, but could be the 450D, was a while ago), the Nikon felt right, and the Canon felt like a toy.

Tori

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 September 2012, 10:19:25 pm »
Some nice shots there Gareth :)