Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:43 pm

Author Topic: Petition for power restrictions for new car drivers  (Read 8608 times)

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
Re: Petition for power restrictions for new car drivers
« Reply #25 on: 22 September 2012, 06:53:30 pm »
So what you need is compulsary retests every few years, not a power restriction for new drivers.  I'm sure I have bad habits now that I didn't have when I passed my test (driving one handed for example) but I'm a far better driven now than I was then.

smithfz

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 September 2012, 08:16:11 pm »
its all very well the people that have already past the test! (i doubt the learners would jump at the chance to make the process more elaborate than it needs to be!!) to sign up to the idea a way a standard should be brought about, lm sure the dsa would love the idea of making a profit from this idea but i do believe learning to drive is but a very simple learning process.  Rant Rant Rant
Unless were talking about a free course here..... unlikely.
what are we talkinig about again.

D4Delta

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 September 2012, 11:17:47 pm »
Good idea - I've just signed.

I like the idea of making someone get experience on a motorbike first before taking the test in a car. Would improve road sense and make them more aware of bike riders. If they insisted on doing stupid things they would probably injure less people as well, if not just themselves.

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 September 2012, 11:37:12 pm »
I'm not sure i entirely agree with this. Here's for why:-

I passed bike test, restricted, 6 odd year ago. After 2 year was up, massive sigh of relief. I still hooned with the restrictor. I was 26/27 year old. No car licence at that time. Fair enough then. Had i spent the money, DAS, but i chose not to.

I got a job with the fire service last year that required a full UK licence. It didn't specify 2 wheels or 4 wheels but i met the criteria. Technically. So 9 lessons and the test i got the full entitlement in september last year. GO ME!!! :woot

I now drive a variety of cars for the service as part of my duties (diesels, so 1500cc and more) and if this restriction came into it, i would not be able to do the job. The petition doesn't state age at any point, so if it was only for younger folk, then woop, but otherwise, i'd have been screwed.

And having been riding for years, i'm no road novice and been karting in my spare time since i was 16, had a bunch of driving lessons some years back and i have a fair knowledge of how to handle 4 wheels, even prior to passing my test. I'm only a year in, knocked back down to 6 point probation (which is actually 3 until the SP30 runs out in feb, then back to 6 til next sept) and if this came into force, i'd still be classed as a n00b.

I'm all for equality, but not so much of a fan of whataboutery

Smell ones mother. Yaas!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #29 on: 23 September 2012, 04:28:59 pm »
The petition doesn't state age at any point

True, but the implication is that, as with bikes, it would have similar age bands because it's the 17-25 age group who are the biggest risk.

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 25 September 2012, 01:33:44 am »
When its law, implications have interpretations, I'd prefer it prescribed in this case.
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26 September 2012, 09:41:17 am »
I have signed it

Around here (mid Wales) you can take a pass+ lesson so that your instructor will take you to a dual carriageway and show you the ropes as there are none around here. I think that should be compulsory and the 'P' plate indicating that you passed recently so we can all see who you are.

I see the arguments above about insurance being a limiting factor but as I feel that further training for bikers (bikesafe, IAM, ROSPA) should be compulsory for bikers- for their own safety, I think the same should apply to new drivers- I say new as not all drivers who just passed their test are 17- my wife didnt pass her test till she was about 40

I think some of the problem might be (for youngsters) that their artillery barrel exhaust on a Corsa and sound system up full and arm out the window means they are not concentrating on the road and cant here other road users.... now a limit on overall noise (sound and exhaust) like bikers are limited- would be a good cause
59 going on 57

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27 September 2012, 12:58:19 pm »
I have signed it

Around here (mid Wales) you can take a pass+ lesson so that your instructor will take you to a dual carriageway and show you the ropes as there are none around here. I think that should be compulsory and the 'P' plate indicating that you passed recently so we can all see who you are.

I see the arguments above about insurance being a limiting factor but as I feel that further training for bikers (bikesafe, IAM, ROSPA) should be compulsory for bikers- for their own safety, I think the same should apply to new drivers- I say new as not all drivers who just passed their test are 17- my wife didnt pass her test till she was about 40

I think some of the problem might be (for youngsters) that their artillery barrel exhaust on a Corsa and sound system up full and arm out the window means they are not concentrating on the road and cant here other road users.... now a limit on overall noise (sound and exhaust) like bikers are limited- would be a good cause
Anything that is obviously louder than a standard system should fail the MOT.  Afaik there's no hard limit, but if you stick a huge fart cannon on a Corsa it should fail.  That said my 200sx passed every year with a moderately louder (louder than standard but not stupid) exhaust on it.

Fatherbiker

• DAS Born Again
  • My cat climbed in and sat looking at me!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 September 2012, 08:56:08 pm »
In respect to having louder exhausts on a bike, when I had my 1200 Bandit, the very first day i took it out I was nearly taken off it by a stupid woman at a roundabout crossing from her left hand lane (as if to turn left and also marked on the road) into the right lane where i was to go straight over the roundabout, simply because she didn't hear me there let alone SEE me there!!...That day, i went home and fitted a nice ART race can which was oviously illegal but at least the bike could be heard. That alone must make it right to fit louder exhausts to bikes?????...... :evil :evil :evil 
Live life, Love life.

smithfz

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 September 2012, 11:48:57 pm »
You'll notice my low post count, it literally should be in the thousands but every time i conjure up a responce l reread my post and realise:  Christ l'd get chucked out this place.

:lol

breadlord

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28 September 2012, 01:22:54 pm »
Not gonna be signing this, I'm afraid.

I don't think the solution to over-legislation is more laws.

smithfz

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28 September 2012, 02:16:05 pm »
Thank You Breadlord!
« Last Edit: 28 September 2012, 02:17:03 pm by grum_pe1@hotmail.com »

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 28 September 2012, 04:19:40 pm »
You'll notice my low post count, it literally should be in the thousands but every time i conjure up a responce l reread my post and realise:  Christ l'd get chucked out this place.

It is notoriously difficult to get chucked out of this place

Jacko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 28 September 2012, 05:09:40 pm »
Low powered cars do 70mph
I'd rather my kids were in a car with the better brakes and handling of a higher powered car
 if it all went Pete Tong at 70
Sent from my pants - using talkingbollocks