Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:26 pm

Author Topic: Fazer making a noise  (Read 3964 times)

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Fazer making a noise
« on: 26 August 2017, 02:50:00 pm »
Just bought a Fazer thou a few days ago and Rosen it home 200 miles no problems and was great. Problem now is it has developed a noise today when I started it, I had taken off the downpipes to clean and serviced the exup then started it and I can hear this ticking noise, is it the cam chain? Here's a video of the noise
https://youtu.be/wboZCbrKONA

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer making a noise
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2017, 03:03:46 pm »

If you couldn't hear a noise before you did the ex-up then chances are the cam-chain is ok.
Maybe the ex-up isn't set properly or you've got a leak from the down pipes, more likely to be something to do with what you moved than what you didn't move, if you get my drift.

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2017, 03:14:24 pm »
Thanks I'll have a check. I've had a look at helmet cam video and can't hear it so I'm thinking it must have happened this morning. Think I may have just worried myself by reading all the cam chain tensioner stories on here.
I'll be back soon hopefully with good news

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2017, 04:18:11 pm »
That's almost certainly the downpipes not being seated properly in the head. Did you use new gaskets? Annoying, cos I know it's radiator off again for you...
« Last Edit: 26 August 2017, 04:19:06 pm by AyJay »

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2017, 04:20:01 pm »
Ummm maybe I'm doing something wrong as I haven't had to remove the radiator. Just loosened it a little to give me a little bit more room, should be back together soon and I can try it

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2017, 04:34:12 pm »
I see. I've always just whipped it off usually because the coolant needs changing at the same time. Interesting to know you can get the downpipes off without though.

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2017, 04:47:57 pm »
it is right but just removing the bottom bolt on the rad give that few mm needed.
All back to together now and running spot on 😁. Thanks guys, I've got a lot to learn now after upgrading to the big boy Fazer 😋

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2017, 04:52:22 pm »
After putting it back I found this spacer thingy, I know I haven't removed anything that it's come from, maybe it just came loose and fell when I was doing the exhaust, any ideas where it's from? It's about 16mm long

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2017, 05:11:39 pm »
After putting it back I found this spacer thingy, I know I haven't removed anything that it's come from, maybe it just came loose and fell when I was doing the exhaust, any ideas where it's from? It's about 16mm long

Looks to me like the bush from the exup assembly end plate - http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/images/exupmaintenance04.jpg
« Last Edit: 26 August 2017, 05:12:21 pm by PieEater »

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 August 2017, 05:29:16 pm »
That's what I suspected but I found this whole the exup was still in pieces and all the exup parts were there

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 August 2017, 05:43:25 pm »
Are you sure all the EXUP parts are in place?  That is definitely an EXUP valve bush and there are two of them, one in the end plate and the other goes on the end of the valve spindle into a housing on the far side of the collector box.

Incorrectly fitted EXUP/badly adjusted EXUP cables will give you the rattle noise you described earlier.

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 August 2017, 06:09:15 pm »
I'm pretty sure, but I'll take it off again to be certain. Although I remember trying to see if it fitted on before I put it all back together

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 August 2017, 07:40:17 pm »
This gets weirder, the bushing is in place in the exup valve but this one is exactly the same.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 August 2017, 10:17:57 pm »
Just bought a Fazer thou a few days ago and Rosen it home 200 miles no problems and was great. Problem now is it has developed a noise today when I started it,
Its sounds like one of two things and both of which are easily fixed -
  • Camchain is slack and the tensioner need adjusting - Its likely all you need to do is push the tensioner in a notch, but you might as well check the operation of the tensionor. The howto for this is section 2-11, sub-section 8-6.
  • The Exup valve rattle - that said you didnt go down to the bottom of the bike with the camera, so didnt hear if the noise go louder.
  • If it is a tappet, then getting a mechanic to check the valves isnt overly expensive - with the cam cover off he/she will be able to spot/hear which one it is - how many miles has the bike done and when was it last done on the paperwork you go with the bike.
One thing I spotted in the video, is the small hose folded over on the r/h side of the radiator. That pipe I believe is part of the carb warming system. Whith that disconnected you will potentially get carb icing in the winter. God knows why the previous owner did that, seeing as they may have been the one who installed the upside down fork mod (thats an R1 front end you have on the bike btw)

Also why are there two jubilee clips on the large hose going from the top of the radiator to the thermostat, there is normally one one.
« Last Edit: 27 August 2017, 10:24:32 pm by b1k3rdude »

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 August 2017, 11:28:10 pm »
Hi thanks, the sound is now sorted (downpipes weren't seated correctly).
I did wonder about the folded over hose and tbh didn't notice the 2 jubilee clips but plan is to change the hoses for silicone ones anyway as they are old now, will have a look at the carbs tomorrow to see what's been done on that end. Thanks

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 August 2017, 11:30:00 pm »
That is one of the bushs that the exup rotates on. Mostly likely the one in the Collector box

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 August 2017, 11:38:56 pm »
That is one of the bushs that the exup rotates on. Mostly likely the one in the Collector box
After reading the exup service guide again (more carefully) I see that the there is a bush that can come out fromt the collector box as you say. I think I was thrown as the first time I had it apart it stayed in place. Well guess I'll be opening it back up again in the morning.

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 August 2017, 11:42:37 pm »
    [/quote]
One thing I spotted in the video, is the small hose folded over on the r/h side of the radiator. That pipe I believe is part of the carb warming system. Whith that disconnected you will potentially get carb icing in the winter.
[/quote]

I found that this was done as it's not needed, see here
http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/carbcoolantbypass.html

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 August 2017, 06:55:29 am »
The Fazer isn't particularly prone to carb icing so removing/blocking off the carb heating hoses is unlikely to be an issue.  I'd leave it for now.  If you do suffer carb icing, you'll know why. :)

This motor doesn't have tappets, it's got bucket and shims for valve clearances.  Getting at them requires the AIS to be removed but I see yours is already gone.  Good move, makes access to the top of the motor a lot easier.  Don't be mislead into  listening for a loose clearance with the cam cover removed ... you'll just get covered in oil.  :lol   The odds are that your clearances are fine anyway, so I wouldn't lose time or sleep on those just yet.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 August 2017, 02:37:25 pm »
My Fazer made lots of funny noises when it was new to me. There was a really annoying tick at idle when the exup wasn't adjusted correctly. The soft brown ploppy noises whenever I saw three digit speeds while think I was still legal, and sometimes there were really strange screams and giggles that sounded like they were coming from inside my helmet. I fixed most of them by adjusting the exup cables and wearing earplugs.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 August 2017, 07:40:42 pm »
Don't be mislead into  listening for a loose clearance with the cam cover removed ... you'll just get covered in oil.  :lol

Sounds like the words of someone who tried it  :lol

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 August 2017, 10:20:17 pm »
On a Triumph Tiger Cub a long time ago.  Proper tappets.  Proper messy, too ... :D

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 August 2017, 10:23:53 pm »
Hi thanks, the sound is now sorted (downpipes weren't seated correctly).
Christ, as in there weren't seated to the cylinder head or the of the clamp brackets were loose..?
« Last Edit: 29 August 2017, 10:28:00 pm by b1k3rdude »

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 August 2017, 10:48:53 pm »
They weren't seated to the cylinder head, took them off placed them back on and gave them a knock with my hand and the went in further.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 August 2017, 07:47:46 am »
They weren't seated to the cylinder head, took them off placed them back on and gave them a knock with my hand and the went in further.
hmm that means the previous owner didnt put them back on properly for what ever reason, You should throughly check over the rest of the bike - for anything else that hasent been put back on properly  :eek