Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

Can’t let go, good or bad?

(1/4) > >>

Stew53uk:
Hi guys I’ve been thinking of getting rid of my low mileage fzs1000. I had a buyer, my asking price put the bike back to how he wanted it & then it just kinda hit me. Stew what the hell are you doing, I spent ages finding this bike & money to get it how I want it then want to sell it. I love this bike but really thinking of getting a triumph street triple, any views?

ogri48:
triumph street triple is a great bike mate. But i wouldnt swap. its quite buzzy. you'll miss the grunt of the thou, possibly be better with the speed triple if thats the way you want to go. If you take the missus on the back  your going to struggle to find one she'll like after the fazer too

BMCfaz:
I've been thinking along the same lines, Stew, but the Fazer's so good I really don't want to get rid of it!

I couldn't justify 2 bikes long term, but I might try for a year, see which I use more and get rid of the other.

SkidT:
I’ve got the new bike itch as well Stu. Actually went to Triumph dealer today and sat on a Street RS and a Speed Twin. I also have desires for maybe an XSR900 or Tracer 900GT. I hasten to add that I won’t be getting rid of my Gen1, particularly as I’ve just spent a lot of money having it refurbed. I am however considering swapping out my other bike, for a change as much as anything, before I get too old.

Let’s assume that your low mileage Gen1 is worth £3 - £3.5k Privately for arguments sake. When I look at the new stuff that’s available, I don’t believe that any of the above is going to be worth the up to ££7k extra that you’d have to throw at a deal, assuming you might buy new of course.
Pillion and luggage on a Street RS? I don’t think so. A Tracer GT definately, possibly the XSR. But if your Gen1 has had the “full Monty” you’d be giving away at least 15bhp to a Street RS, 20bhp to an XSR / Tracer and more like 35bhp to a Speed Twin. There’s not much, Tracer GT aside, that is as versatile As the Gen1, with its all around capabilities.
I’ve chosen to take the following approach...........if I bought something new on a pcp, say a Street RS on Triumphs current pcp deal. The below can be had from Jack Lilly’s........
Street Triple RS £9000 inc Arrow silencer 2019 model
£1900 deposit £105 pm x 36mths + Final optional payment £4718
Total cost for 3yrs = £5680 / 3yrs = £1893.33pa @ 7.9apr (Assuming you give it back at the end of the term).
The one year cost is equivalent to almost 2/3rds of the value of your Gen1.
So for me, if I were to buy another bike in your situation and IF I could afford to, I’d keep the Gen1 as well. It’s unlikely to go down in value now if you look after it.
In a years time, you may have tired of the Single purpose Street RS and you may struggle to find another Gen1 in the same condition that’s been modded to your taste.
I do speak with a little experience...........my current Gen1 is my third, having sold two previously and lived to regret it. I’ve owned this one for eight years now.
Alternatively, keep the Gen1, don’t bother getting another bike and instead, spend the £1900pa a new bike would cost you, doing some more personalisation / upgrades to your Gen1, to make it even better. That’s a new Ohlins shock, fork upgrade, aftermarket can, set of tyres, insurance etc etc............
Good luck with your quest. I share your pain. When you’ve got an itch, sometimes it just needs scratching. 👍

Millietant:
I like that reasoning.........the last new bike I bought was my RSV Mille in 2003. That bike today still looks great, goes great and has no trouble keeping up with brand new machinery on track days.

The Fazer 1000 with its uprated suspension does everything I'd want from a bike on the street and with its colour matched fairing lowers still doesn't look "old".

My FJ 1200 languished at the back of the garage for a few years while I rode the more modern bikes, but treating that to USD forks, upgraded brakes, 17" wheels at both ends, modern tyres, uprated rear shock and some TLC means I now have a "classic" bike capable of keeping up with anything on the road that's ridden with a modicum of safety and yet still have the comfort of an armchair when I need it.

Spending money on bikes I already own and love is a much better/cheaper proposition to me these days than just buying something new - besides which, most modern styling is far too "bitty" and "tacky" for my old eyes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version