Date: 23-04-24  Time: 20:23 pm

Author Topic: Newbie needs a little help  (Read 1724 times)

Staryarm

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Newbie needs a little help
« on: 17 January 2018, 10:54:23 pm »
So I bought my first fzs1000 last week and love it but there seams to be a flat spot in power. I beleve this could be improved with the ivans jet kit. If got a delkevic can on there but that's it.
My big question, anyone around the Barnsley area that could help me with the jets as iv never done this before or even send the carbs to someone and if so a rough idea on cost.

Thanks for your time guys

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie needs a little help
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2018, 07:34:18 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Typically the GEN1 Fazer has a very smooth power delivery with no noticeable flat spots. The thing that immediately springs to mind is the EXUP valve which smoothes power delivery up to 5500rpm after which it is fully open. As a new owner one of the first things you should do is to check the condition of the EXUP, make sure it is operating correctly and apply lots of copper or ceramic grease to the moving parts. If you haven't already seen the FAQ at the top of the page it will have some useful information for you as well as a link to Pat's guide on how to service the EXUP. Let us know how you get on

In terms of Ivanising most of us rely on Mike AKA Falcon 269, however I believe he was considering hanging up his spanners so I'm not sure if that will be a viable option for you, best drop him an email mikegreatorexAThotmail.com (replace the word AT with the symbol).
« Last Edit: 18 January 2018, 07:59:40 am by PieEater »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2018, 09:07:34 am »
Hi and welcome. :)

PieEater has pointed you in the right direction regarding the EXUP valve.  It's possible that yours might even have been removed or disable by a previous owner, in which case you would notice a flat spot lower down the rev range.

More info on the year, mileage and condition of your bike would be helpful.

I haven't exactly retired my toolkit yet but other commitments mean that I can't make as many Ivanising trips to the UK these days as I used to.  A lot depends on demand, too ... ;) 

I'm weighing up the possibility of a trip in August but that depends on a few other things which I won't know about for a while yet.  I'll contact everyone on my waiting list directly by e-mail but if you'd like more information, use the e-mail address PieEater posted above. :)

Staryarm

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2018, 11:20:59 am »
The bike is a 04 with 23k no history so don't know what if anything has been done. It had a cheep carbon look can on it which I swapped out for the delkevic. Bikes in fair condition few rust spots here n there but that will clean up.

Just come to work on it today and the flat spot felt better so I'm wondering if it could be cold related but it's round the 2 to 3k mark.

I'm gonna try service the exup valve as soon as I get chance and have a read up before I start it.

As for the ivans jets I don't mind posting my carbs of to be done If that's a possibility and if so what can I expect to pay.
Iv done a few mods myself to bikes but never carbs and the worry me a bit il be honest haha

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2018, 12:58:39 pm »
If you can remove and refit the carbs yourself, you have done 80% of the work already and have the skills necessary to do the actual kit installation.  I'm referring to Ivan's Slip On kit, not the Full Monty installation when I write that. :)

Pat's Site also shows you in great detail how to do it but you're welcome to e-mail me for more details of what's entailed and then you can decide whether or not to take it on.  You will need to synch the carbs post-installation.

Staryarm

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2018, 02:43:46 pm »
Yes it's the slip on kit I was thinking of doing. Friends got a 4 bank gauge so il do that once it's done. Il have a good look over the guide soon and see if I wanna try it thanks for the help. Any links for a ivans jet kit before I start searching?

Also what air filters are people running as iv seen that the stock one seams to be best with the kit. From experience on other bikes iv used pipercross with good results. But that said I'm a fazer noob

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2018, 03:15:43 pm »
E-mail me and all will be revealed. ;)

Staryarm

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike: