Date: 24-04-24  Time: 05:40 am

Author Topic: Track Day  (Read 4365 times)

FZSteely

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki GPZ900R
    • View Profile
Track Day
« on: 19 May 2014, 09:10:00 pm »
Hey,

A mate of mine has talked me into trying a track day. Having never raced before I'm not sure what to expect. Have any of you guys tried it on a FZS600? Got any tips, such as bike preparation or how to get the best from the bike on the track? The bike handles beautifully on the road and hope it's even better on the track.

Cheers

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
Re: Track Day
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2014, 06:37:09 am »
Check everything is nipped up properly. Tyres in good condition, and adjust your pressure at the track (down slightly). Adjust chain if necessary. Check your brake pads, especially the front. Add a wee bit of pre-load to the front and rear suspension. And have a blast!!!
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2014, 07:55:23 am »
Having never raced before I'm not sure what to expect.
You don't race on a trackday, any overly aggressive/ dangerous to others riding and you'll be asked to bugger off!

Otherwise- tyres should be as new as possible, and as he said- check brake pads and adjust chain!
Some say...

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2014, 08:07:13 am »

+1 for all the above.

Also, go at your own pace - don't succumb to that macho bollocks of "must catch that one in front". Watch the other riders for their cornering lines and braking points and use it to help you learn the track, start slowly and build to a level that you're comfortable with. You don't have to hang your arse over the side either just to look good, that'll come in time IF you're comfy with it.

Give it a while then do the same track again and hone what you learnt first time round. You'll either love or hate it but it's a must do at least once.

Above all, relax and enjoy.

Have fun fella  :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2014, 02:56:28 pm »
Which track are you going to?

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2014, 07:55:25 pm »
Tip 1. The most important tip. As pointed out by Punkstig. A track day is not a race.

Tip 2. If it's your first track day don't go in the fast group.

Tip 3. Learn the track at your own pace. and although you might learn lines and breaking points from other riders they themselves may have got it all wrong. If in dought enter slow and exit progressively, then work on entry speed.

Tip 3. Don't use your mirrors. Let others find a way around you. Usually, passing other riders should be done on the outside.

Tip 4. Check your bike thoroughly to make sure nothing is going to fall off, and that everything is working as it should.

Tip 5. Read Twist In The Wrist by Keith Code.

Tip 6. Relax and have fun.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

FZSteely

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki GPZ900R
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2014, 08:26:16 pm »
Which track are you going to?

I'm waiting for my mate to decide; it's looking likely to be Oulton Park though. I've never been to that track but I've watched a few videos of the track and it looks pretty appealing.

FZSteely

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki GPZ900R
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2014, 08:28:20 pm »
Tip 1. The most important tip. As pointed out by Punkstig. A track day is not a race.

Tip 3. Learn the track at your own pace. and although you might learn lines and breaking points from other riders they themselves may have got it all wrong. If in dought enter slow and exit progressively, then work on entry speed.

Tip 3. Don't use your mirrors. Let others find a way around you. Usually, passing other riders should be done on the outside.

Tip 4. Check your bike thoroughly to make sure nothing is going to fall off, and that everything is working as it should.

FZSteely

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki GPZ900R
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2014, 08:29:16 pm »

Thanks mate, i'll have a look for that book you mentioned on Amazon. I'll take all the advice I can get.

FZSteely

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki GPZ900R
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2014, 08:30:09 pm »
Check everything is nipped up properly. Tyres in good condition, and adjust your pressure at the track (down slightly). Adjust chain if necessary. Check your brake pads, especially the front. Add a wee bit of pre-load to the front and rear suspension. And have a blast!!!

Thanks mate, I totally forgot about about the front suspension.

FZSteely

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki GPZ900R
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2014, 08:31:58 pm »

+1 for all the above.

Also, go at your own pace - don't succumb to that macho bollocks of "must catch that one in front". Watch the other riders for their cornering lines and braking points and use it to help you learn the track, start slowly and build to a level that you're comfortable with. You don't have to hang your arse over the side either just to look good, that'll come in time IF you're comfy with it.

Give it a while then do the same track again and hone what you learnt first time round. You'll either love or hate it but it's a must do at least once.

Above all, relax and enjoy.

Have fun fella  :thumbup

:) Thanks I'll do my best to enjoy it. I had no interest in a track day previously. I enjoy watching racing but always figured I'd be better off, off the track.

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2014, 10:28:58 pm »
Havent been to Oulton Park so cant comment on that one. There is probably some info on Youtube though.

If you are going there completely blind then try to get near the front on the sighting laps. The instructor will take you around at a slowish pace and be on pretty much the right line. Trouble is, this is like Chinese whispers so if you are mid to back of 30 other novice group the line has altered beyond recognition. 

Some trackday companies would let you collar an instructor for a bit of help in the sessions without charge. If this is the case, then ask, they dont bite and having someone watch you will be a lot of help.

Body position; you dont have to go for the Marquez elbow down. Even if your arse never leaves the seat road riding you should try to hang off a bit on track. What you often see if novice group guys getting more confident as the day goes on, leaning further and further in their road riding mode until the tyres let go. Get half an arse cheek off the seat on the side your next corner is going; you will lean just as far but the bike will be more upright.

I wouldnt recommend Twist of the Wrist TBH. If you must then read book 2 before book 1, they make more sense in that order. Keith Code is a Californian so he writes in an annoying mystical guru style which grates. I did the first 3 levels of Cali Superbike school and found that it is a very expensive way to learn a painting by numbers way to ride on track.

Personally I think Simon Crafar's Motovudu book / DVD is a far simpler, better and more natural way to ride.

Usually I tell novices to do the first session on their usual tyre pressures and then check them when they come back to the garage while they are still hot. The pressures will now be higher. Let out enough air to get them back to your usual road pressures. now leave them alone for the day. Unless you get slides and grip issues late in the day (in which case repeat the above).

It used to be safe to tell folk drop the pressures down to 30psi at both ends and go from there but some of the tyres now run much lower than that so best way is to see how much heat / pressure you are generating and go from there.

Dont forget to blow them back up before you ride home.

HYDRATE. Drink lots of water as you will be sweating even if you dont realise it. Your concentration will lapse if you dehydrate.

Dont stay out every lap of every session. If you arent used to track riding 20 mins is both physically and mentally tough. Come in early if you get tired or cant focus totally on what you are doing. No one will notice as everyone is doing their own thing. I very often used to miss the last session of the day on tight twisty tracks as I was done in by then. Plenty of others are done in but still risk it which is why the last session often has most accidents.

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2014, 10:24:14 am »
Triple knee sliders and steel braided brake hoses are a must!

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2014, 10:37:54 am »
Thanks mate, i'll have a look for that book you mentioned on Amazon. I'll take all the advice I can get.

There's a copy of the book in the Download section but there are many copies of the film on YT

Twist of the Wrist II
« Last Edit: 21 May 2014, 10:38:26 am by Buzz »
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2014, 03:29:46 pm »
I really don't think he should be concerning himself with books and videos for a first trackday.
With a mix of excitement and nerves he won't remember any of it anyway!
There will be a full debrief for novice riders in the morning, pay more attention to that so that you're safe rather than worry about the fastest way round a corner.
If you enjoy it and are going to do more then think about reading a book/ watching a video on how to be quicker.
I've done three trackdays now and have the motovudu dvd/book that I've still not read!
Some say...

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2014, 02:17:23 am »
Don't agree with Luke about Twist of the Wrist - if you got saddle time on a bike, the book should make perfect sense (it did to me) - but totally agree with the rest - that's just my personal opinion/experience as I found the book really easy to read/digest.

Always look as far ahead of you as you can, and look around a corner, at the exit - we tend to go "where we look" and a lot of novice track day riders fall off because when the get in trouble they look at where the think they're going to crash. - and then do just that (target fixation).

Key points from the book - find your "vanishing point", the distance at which the road in front of you disappears from your view.

If that distance is getting less (vanishing point is getting closer to you) that means your visibility is reducing eg, a corner is tightening up, or the track goes over a crest, so be careful and maybe even slow down.

If that distance is increasing (the vanishing point is getting further away from you), the track is opening up - so accelerate !

Never approach a corner tight on the inside - adopt a wide line in and a tight line out, for max visibility (and safety), but also for earliest accelerating out of the corner.

Brake progressively and smoothly - it will upset your suspension less, and if you're a track novice, avoid braking whilst leaned over - better to be slower into a corner and faster out than faster into it and then crashing.

Just my two pennies worth  :)  and what I've been taught at racing/riding schools in the past.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2014, 02:24:38 am by Millietant »

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2014, 05:29:11 pm »
Tip 97:

Take cameras and Document the experience for others to enjoy!

Of course, this is not at ALL important.

But I did it!

This was my first time, and it was amazing.

The bike is fantastic on the track!

But agree with everybody else.

Don't race.

Take it at your pace, you'll be twice as quick, 4 times as relaxed and 8 times as knackered at the end of the day!

Finally, prepare to ache a bit the next day!!

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2014, 09:27:21 pm »
Nice video
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2014, 10:28:34 pm »
That is a bloody good vid!

What equipment are you using? Can't believe how clear your voice is!

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2014, 08:36:29 am »
Cheers chaps. Really enjoyed making that one!

Joe, I have a Drift HD 1080 on my bonce, with a microphone from an "Oxford Bike Mike 3" from the dark ages threaded inside the helmet. The sound isn't quite that clear raw, but with some sneaky EQ and a bit of multiband compression you can bring it out.

The second camera is an Easypix Xtasy. (basically a polaroid XS100 with a different paintjob). And it's horrible! The Drift is glitchy (many corrupted videos, lost footage, freezes etc) but the Easypix makes the Drift seem well behaved! I almost didnt even get to use it on the track day because it was frozen by the time I got there and I had nothing small enough for the reset hole! (said the actress to the bishop).

I'd love to get better gear all round (I have now upgraded to the specific Drift Microphone). but money just doesn't allow.

I quite fancied Oulton Park btw FZSteely. But again, Snetterton timing and cost were more accomodating!!

In any case, have fun!

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2014, 10:25:33 am »
Make sure all your kit is in good nick, 1 or 2 piece leathers, gloves, boots, lid must ( I think) be ACU approved.
Make sure the bike isn't to loud.
Remember not all bikes have brake lights or they disconnect them on track days ( learnt this the hard way)  :eek :eek
watch for your own tiredness levels, don't got out on the last session if you feel tired.
plus every thing else everybody else said :lol :lol
have fun  :D :D
Mark