Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:17 pm

Author Topic: CLUNK,CLUNK,CLUNK,CLUNK  (Read 5368 times)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: CLUNK,CLUNK,CLUNK,CLUNK
« Reply #25 on: 23 September 2019, 08:50:46 pm »
I'm now thinking this is the issue I have with my bike.  Only when cold does it do it.  First couple of junctions I get the clunk as I set off.  Don't notice it in any other gear but then the noise maybe drowns it out. 

She's a 2001 and just clocked up 10,000 miles.  Would the front sprocket be worn this quick?
If you mean it clunks between gears, or as you put it into gear, thats not the same issue. Thats chain tension.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 September 2019, 06:28:34 am »

Yep Mr sharp, followed your change when you were doing it and theres some good links in there too :) . Have been looking at some adds but haven't made up mind on which way to go yet :rolleyes . Started my shopping with the easiest option , new rear tyre, Pilot Road 4. ;) 
Was also looking at front brake discs and got a big shock :eek , they aren't cheep. And again there are so many options . Think ill be doing a bit more research on these before I choose.

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 September 2019, 07:36:09 am »
I'm now thinking this is the issue I have with my bike.  Only when cold does it do it.  First couple of junctions I get the clunk as I set off.  Don't notice it in any other gear but then the noise maybe drowns it out. 

She's a 2001 and just clocked up 10,000 miles.  Would the front sprocket be worn this quick?
If you mean it clunks between gears, or as you put it into gear, thats not the same issue. Thats chain tension.

Might just change the chain and sprocket.  That'll sort it either way.  Any recommendations on both?

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 September 2019, 04:38:45 pm »
Middy have a look at fazersharp link to his change . It will give you a good place to start deciding what you want for your bike. Im still thinking about what I want. I do like the idea of these noise reduction sprockets.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 September 2019, 02:21:58 pm »
Bike torque Racing  https://www.biketorqueracing.co.uk/buy/ognibene-trofeo-ognibene-silent-sprocket/361991r15.htm#eq1 

My son had it on his bike and lasted the same as any other sprocket he had.

JT sprockets do them now also http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTF513RB/

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 30 September 2019, 01:19:06 pm »

Just wee update. Fitted new tyre at weekend :) . Today new chain and sprocket arrived with wee surprise. After much head scratching :rolleyes over chain and sprocket sets I decided to just go for what to me was a normal choice, nothing fancy, - Yamaha FZS600 Fazer 1998 to 2003 Silver X-Ring JT Chain & JT Sprocket Kit Set[font=] - off ebay. I was going to order silent front sprocket too but forgot to add to order, so left it off. But today opened the box and set ,,,  comes with JTF513.15RB rubber dampened front sprocket. So chuffed with that :) . [/font]
[font=]Now just waiting on new riveting tool as I couldn't find my old one. Hopefully it will be here this week.[/font]

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 October 2019, 07:51:41 pm »
Not sure if the "silent" front sprocket makes any difference but the manufacturer tells me it does so I went for it on the front as that is what was OEM but I did not bother with the back silent one. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06 October 2019, 10:12:11 pm »
ahh, still trying to attach pic.

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06 October 2019, 10:17:42 pm »
Well nothing is going right today. :'( . The pic should have been in the post, but instead you get two pics , no post. So as you can see I have broke one of the pins. :eek . All was going well until I decided to give that one another quarter of a turn,,,,,,, and I don't know why. So now waiting on new joining link. Hope this works.  :rolleyes

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06 October 2019, 11:31:08 pm »
What tool are you using to flare the rivet? From the picture, you went off centre which is usually caused by the riveter not being set up incorrectly. General the flare should be not be less than .3mm or more than .6mm of the thickness of the rivet. I generally go for .5mm measured with a vernier to be sure.

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07 October 2019, 02:09:03 am »
Sorry the pic isn't the best. Ive got just a basic flaring tool of ebay. But the flare part of the set didn't seem to good so I made a part which gave a little bit more of a spread to the pin. The part that came with the set seemed as if it would have been apply direct pressure without any flare. I do have a Vernier but the display is working properly so I cant say how much im flaring the pin but it wasn't a lot. If I had have stopped and not gone that little bit more it looked ok. But I do have a habit of just a wee touch more, and this is the usual result. Not as bad as when I was younger but is still snap things every now and again. But ill know the next time, which will probably be next weekend.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07 October 2019, 08:59:19 am »
Had a mate back in the 60's, who had a bad habit of overdoing it with spanners. We called him Screech  :lol .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 07 October 2019, 10:34:09 am »
Sorry the pic isn't the best. Ive got just a basic flaring tool of ebay. But the flare part of the set didn't seem to good so I made a part which gave a little bit more of a spread to the pin. The part that came with the set seemed as if it would have been apply direct pressure without any flare. I do have a Vernier but the display is working properly so I cant say how much im flaring the pin but it wasn't a lot. If I had have stopped and not gone that little bit more it looked ok. But I do have a habit of just a wee touch more, and this is the usual result. Not as bad as when I was younger but is still snap things every now and again. But ill know the next time, which will probably be next weekend.
What was the tool.
I used this one
youtube.com/watch?v=skX2GhrB2Oc

STUPID VID WONT LINK, copy and paste this youtube.com/watch?v=skX2GhrB2Oc and add the www.Its by Afam Although I did think afterwards that the pin that does the pressing into the hole looked a little worn after I had done the two link pins. Not sure if it would do such the same good job if used again. 
« Last Edit: 07 October 2019, 01:40:23 pm by fazersharp »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07 October 2019, 10:57:44 am »
Is this the type you have?
https://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0064/7895/motion_pro_chain_breaker_riveting_tool_750x750.jpg

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 07 October 2019, 02:21:41 pm »

It was the same as unfazed. But, as in unfazed pic , the flare pin , you can see clearly the point that would enter the pin on link to be flared.
The set I got  , if you had taken pic at same angle as in unfazed pic , you would not have seen as much of the point. When I held it up to the link to be flared , the point was in the hollow and flush with the face, this to me  would not have done any flaring.
So, after a bit of head scratching and looking through old tools I found a small punch , similar to tool one in the picture. A little bit of work and it looked ok. The point was same size as the hollow in link , but has more of an angle to flare.
The thing I got wrong was just the pressure, because you are flaring to such a small degree,  it would have been ok if I had not gone for the last wee tweek on it. My fault  :\
But the tool in unfazed pic looks a lot better than the one I got.

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 October 2019, 06:07:32 pm »

Just a wee update. Decided to buy another set of [font=]Vernier Calipers, just cheep set to see what I had done. [/font]
[font=]So on new link , pins measure 5.2mm.[/font]
[font='verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif']On the riveted pin links on chain, roughly 5.6 , 5.7 mm.[/font]
[font='verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif']So going by unfazed measurements the riveted pins are about 0.5 more than the new link.[/font]
[font='verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif']Well ,,, I was well above that ,, by atleast  1.0mm . OOps too much. [/font]
[font='verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif']So no time just now (work) , will do job again at weekend , Taking a little bit more care.[/font]

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 October 2019, 09:10:05 pm »
Where are you based? I don't mind popping over to give advice/help out /bring my tool if you're within 100 miles of me and the rain  ain't torrential.
« Last Edit: 11 October 2019, 07:11:21 am by celticbiker »
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 October 2019, 11:20:34 pm »
Where are you based? I don't mind popping over to give advice/help out /bring my tool if you're within 100 miles of me and the reason ain't torrential.
Any excuse for a spin  :lol :woot

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11 October 2019, 07:14:58 am »
Hell, I do a hundred miles every day just for work, that's not a ride, that's popping to the shops.
BTW let me know by 1430 so I can bring my tool home from the workshop.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 11 October 2019, 09:47:31 am »
When I did mine I think I remember that the pins were already very slightly wider than the holes in the plates, or at least the same size which is why you have to use the tool to force press the plate over the pins. The flareing of the pins that is needed is almost unmeasurable. I still don't trust it and cant help myself in checking that the plate is in place before a ride.     

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 11 October 2019, 05:04:42 pm »
There has been a chart linked on the forum somewhere, that gives the expected expansion of soft links for all DID chain sizes. A rule of thumb is •5mm.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 12 October 2019, 08:46:27 pm »
 :) Happy days. New link on today and all seems ok. Took a bit more time and flared pins to 5.7 which is .5 larger .  Havent been out to see how new chain feels yet. Hopefully out tomorrow for wee spin. Sounded a lot smoother just spinning it on paddock stand.  ;) Thanks for pointing out the small increase in pin when flaring , without that I would have probably broke a few more links.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 13 October 2019, 10:48:29 am »
When I ordered my set it was going to come with a littl can of lube so I asked to swap the lube for and extra link in case I messed up with the firs one.