Date: 18-04-24  Time: 21:07 pm

Author Topic: Raised / re sculpted seat on a Gen1.  (Read 1726 times)

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
Raised / re sculpted seat on a Gen1.
« on: 10 January 2019, 05:11:44 pm »
Greetings all,

I, like others on here it seems, am beginning to find the leg room / angles between hip, ankles and knees a little uncomfortable as I get older. I’m lucky enough to have an MT10 in my garage as well and don’t have any such problems with this. Having measured the peg to seat top on both bikes, I’ve found that the MT (with comfort seat fitted) is some 4cm taller.

I’m therefore considering the purchase of a second hand seat, which I will then send off to be resculpted by a professional, to give me that little more height and leg room.
Anybody here already done this? If so, how do you find it? Got any pictures? Recommendations about who you used / cost?

By the way, I have already used my airhawk for a few rides out. I find that with it inflated sufficiently to make a difference, I don’t like the way that you roll around on it, as the air shifts from one air pocket to another.
If you reduce the amount of air in it to prevent this, then I find that it doesn’t make a significant enough difference.

When I bought it, the bike had a Sargent seat fitted. I found this really uncomfortable on a long trip to Devon and have therefore long since reverted to the standard seat.

I have also, like others, considered foot peg lowers. However, I don’t really want to reduce the ground clearance. Not because I’m any sort of riding god that likes to regularly scrape the pegs I might add. I would just prefer to retain the look of the original pegs.

I’m Thinking Tony Archer or similar for the seat resculpting, unless anyone else has any recommendations in the south east?
Thanks
« Last Edit: 10 January 2019, 05:13:37 pm by SkidT »

characticus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Raised / re sculpted seat on a Gen1.
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2019, 07:26:47 pm »
I bought a seat on here that had already been modified like this (I believe raised by 50mm). Definitely helps with the knee bend. I'm planning to sell the fazer in the spring so I would sell the seat if you are interested. PM me if you want more details.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2019, 07:29:56 pm by characticus »

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2019, 08:35:34 pm »
Thanks very much for your response. I’ve replied by PM. 👍

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2019, 07:46:36 pm »
Hopefully now sorted thanks to Characticus 👍

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • www.thesundogs.uk Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2019, 01:46:02 pm »
Hi Skid, how're you doing?

If you now have a new, higher seat does that mean you'll sell your standard seat?....I too want to get a spare seat on which to have the height raised.........

Andy.

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2019, 04:18:07 pm »
was your Sargent seat lower than a std seat? if so have you still got it?

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2019, 09:29:14 pm »
Hi Skid, how're you doing?

If you now have a new, higher seat does that mean you'll sell your standard seat?....I too want to get a spare seat on which to have the height raised.........

Andy.

Hey Andy,

I’m good thanks. You are a lucky man! I’d literally just bought a second hand seat off of eBay for £30 (including post), when Ian contacted me offering me his already raised seat.
The standard second hand seat arrived today. The seat from Ian should be with me by the end of the week. If you’re in no rush, I’m going to wait and try Ian’s. There is a slight chance that it may be a little too tall for my stumpy little legs. Either way, maybe you might want to try it at some point, to give you an idea about how high you want to go?
I’ll PM you once Ian’s seat has arrived and I’ve tried it. I have a vague recollection that you may have been a little taller than me? I’m 5’09” with a 31” inseam.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2019, 09:37:50 pm »
was your Sargent seat lower than a std seat? if so have you still got it?

Hi Ram,

I’m afraid that I can’t remember whether it was lower or not.

The seat was sold some time back I’m afraid on this forum, after a very painful journey down to Saltash and back to get the bike “Full Monty’d” by Mike. It wasn’t for me. I have no such problems with the standard seat comfort wise, it’s just the leg room now that bothers me.

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • www.thesundogs.uk Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2019, 10:09:49 am »
Top man Alan!

Count me in for whichever seat you don't need....I am indeed a shade taller than you at 6'2" btw.

Cheers,
Andy.