Date: 19-04-24  Time: 01:47 am

Author Topic: Equity Red Star  (Read 1876 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Equity Red Star
« on: 15 July 2015, 07:23:48 pm »
The insurance on my FZ6 is up for renewal, but when I got the quote from Bennetts, instead of the £178 (including Legal Expenses Cover and RAC) that I had last year, it was over £600!

So I phoned up to check and this time it wasn't the insurers taking the pi$$ bumpting up the renewal, but the fact that, for some reason, Equity Red Star (who'd always been willing to cover my bike previously since I got it in 2007) decided that, this time, they weren't going to do so.

Eventually, after some faffing around, I got the quote down to £206, but even when I tried Carole Nash, they came up with a similar figure. (I can get a quote around the £80 mark, but the Power Commander adds £70 to it).

Has anyone else had an issue like this recently?

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
Re: Equity Red Star
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2015, 10:19:48 pm »
yeah, just came to renew with IAM surety and the broker that they said would insure me last year, has this year decided not to renew my insurance...WTF?
IAM came up with another broker and I got it cheaper down to £102 but had to renew my IAM membership at a cost of around £30 to keep my class 1 business class

maybe the Ins Co's are taking the piss even more this year
fire never sleeps

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2015, 08:48:44 am »
I cant remember who I am actually insured with but it is through Hastings. The actual insurer I was with last year withdrew from the market but Hastings managed to find me a better price anyway. CBF1000 and an FZS600 with Class 1 business use was only £140-£150. The CBF on its own was under £100.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2015, 08:50:31 am »
Do an MCN insurance quote, I have found that good for finding the lowest quote
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2015, 10:41:48 am »
Just had my renewal  from  Bennets £78.97 for third party fire & theft through Chaucer ,  gonna stick with that , when I bought the Guzzi i was looking for a multi policy but Bennett's wouldn't quote , they recommended going on comparison sites and trying various options , I could have saved £20 by cancelling my insurance on the FZS and moving my NCB on to the new bike and starting a new policy , but decided to leave it as it was .

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2015, 11:36:40 am »
Just looked at mine and although through a broker the cheapest always ended up being one by Equity Red Star but last year my price jumped up too so i changed and am  now with Chaucer at £75 fully comp
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2015, 12:00:34 pm »
Equity red star rarely cover bikes with modifications, they've obviously decided they don't like your power commander, personally I wouldn't have put that on as it's easily removed if needs be!
Some say...

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 July 2015, 02:02:28 pm »
Sounds like they got their balls busted for a bad performing year and have changed the market they are focusing on. Happens all the time in the insurance industry - the company I work for is on their fourth underwriter in the 3 years (despite promises of 3-4 year contracts) because the market keeps going to shit and they bail at the first sign of trouble.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 July 2015, 07:22:10 pm »
Im with bennetts and I got an email yesterday telling me that they have been taken over by saga so that explains the price hike.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #9 on: 16 July 2015, 10:07:40 pm »
Equity red star rarely cover bikes with modifications, they've obviously decided they don't like your power commander

They've had no problems for the last couple of years!

personally I wouldn't have put that on as it's easily removed if needs be!

And if they discover you've lied on your declarations, they might decide the whole policy is invalid!

In any case, I went to IAM Surety (or Cornmarket as they're calling themselves now) and they agreed that the PC was just for improving the fuelling and not boosting the power, so they've covered me instead.

I got RAC cover separately, they knocked the price down from £75 to £54 including Legal Expenses cover which saved me £18 on the insurance premium!

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 July 2015, 12:21:11 am »
I'm with MCE and they threw everything into the deal,  breakdown cover, legal cover, leather and helmet cover, business insurance for committing to various places of work etc
They were given my cheapest quote of bare bones fully comp of £90 and they started of by quoting me for the stuff above for about £200 but in the end I got quoted £108.80 for it, grabbed it off them :)
48 year old, no NCB as had been away from bikes for 3years or so, non IAM member, 1 previous accident, hgv driver.
I'm well chuffed with it and would recommend them :)
Oh it's on a '98 fazer 600

Hope this helps you.
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)