Date: 20-04-24  Time: 06:56 am

Author Topic: Ready for touring  (Read 4555 times)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
Ready for touring
« on: 26 August 2013, 07:48:14 pm »
As some of you know... Nurburgring... bla bla bla. Anyway, I had some work to do to the bike before I go, and some things I did not have to do,but did anyway  :D .

I had posted about a broken exhaust clamp a few weeks ago. I decided to get it welded, which meant taking the system off the bike. 2 studs broke (not bad considering the nick of them). So I then had to get the broken studs out, which involved removing the radiator and fan, so I did a full flush with that too. Removed all of the radiator hoses and gave them some rubber treatment whilst I was at it. I then got the studs out (after a few choice words), got the exhaust welded and re-fitted (after an hour of polishing the pipes and buffing the carbon fibre end can). Sounds ace.

Then I set about doing EVERY service item in the Haynes manual. 31 jobs in all. New fluid all round. New front pads. New rear tyre. One of the items was carb balancing, so I got myself a Morgan Carbtune. See pics of before and after.

I also posted about chain adjustment when touring. A Scottoiler V system seemed to be the tool of choice, so I got one of those too. Works a treat.

I also got a Ventura luggage system, Mini tank bag, Viper touring seat, sat-nav mount (for my phone) and a waterproof sports camera.

I got out yesterday for the first time in a couple of months and had a 110 mile run to bed everything in and see how the bike is feeling post alterations/service. I have to say, I am very, very pleased. The carbtune did its job, well worth it. The new pads are street racing grade, and with the Hel lines, it stop's well. The luggage hardly affected the ride and the seat is fantastic.  Got that tyre scrubbed in too  :lol . There is a wee bit of test ride footage from the sports-cam below. You can blame youtube for the poor quality, the original footage if much better.

So thank you to everyone who helped me out with the advice mentioned above. I will do a lap of the Nurburgring in honour of you Foccers.

Brig 'o turk onboard a Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer

Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
Re: Ready for touring
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2013, 07:51:34 pm »
A few more pics
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2013, 07:53:58 pm »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Trailers rule.
Trailers rule.
The Deef's apprentice

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2013, 08:19:24 pm »
I do hope you are not bringing that set up to Wales with you  :eek  even if you are in the Foccin caravan club :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2013, 08:22:51 pm »
I do hope you are not bringing that set up to Wales with you  :eek  even if you are in the Foccin caravan club :lol

Don't tempt me!!  :lol :lol :lol
The Deef's apprentice

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2013, 08:33:51 pm »
Ade, can you take the camera around the 'Ring? You gotta do it if you can! I'm very, very jealous!
When I did my 2nd UK tour, I must have spent more on the bike in preparation than the 3 weeks of actually riding it, camping, food etc cost - new rear shock, pads, oil & filter, c&s kit, tyres, the works. But it's all worth it for the peace of mind, and when you get back, you won't have to touch anything much for a while.

Have a great trip, and remember - piccies, piccies, vid footage!

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2013, 08:45:30 pm »
Thanks Nick. I don't think you are officially allowed a camera on the ring. The rules are a bit conflicting. I will take it anyway and if I have to remove it, I will.  I know what you mean about the peace of mind though. It is worth it. The exhaust clam was a pain, but I am glad I seen to it now. I was getting worried when those studs would not budge  :eek , but I got them with a little (lot) help.

The bike feels mint now and I can't wait for the trip. Its not until the 13th September, but I'm counting the days...

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2013, 10:17:19 pm »
Wow, that is a lot of work and preparation. Kudos on getting it done and completed, sounds like it mostly went well :) Every time I pick up a spanner recently, something goes wrong...

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2013, 10:22:51 pm »
Pick up a screwdriver then!

Jokes aside, good luck with the rebuild!
The Deef's apprentice

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 August 2013, 10:40:17 pm »
should have given me  a shout adeejaysdelight - I would have happily loaned you my carbtune and saved you some sovereigns :)

Glad all your tweaks have helped..

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2013, 12:02:21 am »
Never mind Mick. I guess now we have each missed something from one another  :rolleyes

What a difference that carbtune makes though. My mate that I am going touring with has an SV650. He is a pro mechanic and a very technically clever guy, but he was not keen on doing his until we returned for fear of fu**ing something. Now that he has seen the improvement on mine he is coming down midweek to do it. Well I'm thinking I'll do it for him and he can fit my HID lamp kit instead  :lol

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2013, 12:13:40 am »
Sounds like a plan :lol

what kind of camera is it you have got, looks a pretty good picture, and where have you mounted it, front forks/fairing I assume?

good road too the brig o turk road is :)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #12 on: 27 August 2013, 12:25:22 am »
I went for this camera - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140935087681?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

You can see it mounted on the left hand bar end in some of the pictures. The picture quality is far better than YouTube has it. It has selectable quality, can record upside down, up to 32gb card, external mic option (not used in this film), waterproof (tested in bath  ;) ), good build quality and a load of other features making it stand out in that price bracket. And yeah, that is a great road. Not often used by bikers either.

Reviews here - [size=78%]
Xdreme 1080p Action Camera Review
[/size]
, [/size][size=78%]
Gopro / Drift beater Xdreme 1080p full HD action camera review part 1
[/size]

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 August 2013, 01:25:59 am »
Oh aye... How did I miss that on the handlebars :lol

So you mean you WEREN'T just skimming past people's wing mirrors when overtaking then :lol

Cheers for the link, I'll check it out, really want to get a cam of some description :)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #14 on: 27 August 2013, 02:21:55 am »
I did a good bit of research before buying. I found this one to offer the best bang for my buck. Now that I have had it for a month or so, I feel exposed if I go out without it. I have had it on both my bikes (only yesterday on the Fazer), the car and my mountain bike. I can't wait to take it skydiving  :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 August 2013, 06:51:28 am »
great work ade.....thanks for the link on the camera,ive been thinking about one for a while now......have a fantastic trip  :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 August 2013, 06:56:22 am »
Good ride there !!

Whick vidoe editing program did you use,if you did, as windows movie maker seems not to have Avi save option.?

And how long does it take to upload to Youtube?
Billy

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 August 2013, 07:28:42 am »
Thanks Nick. I don't think you are officially allowed a camera on the ring. The rules are a bit conflicting. I will take it anyway and if I have to remove it, I will.  I know what you mean about the peace of mind though. It is worth it. The exhaust clam was a pain, but I am glad I seen to it now. I was getting worried when those studs would not budge  :eek , but I got them with a little (lot) help.

The bike feels mint now and I can't wait for the trip. Its not until the 13th September, but I'm counting the days...

Unfortunately cameras are banned on the ring. No reason given though.
http://nurburgring.org.uk/videoban.php

They're not too hot on searching for them though, last time I went (in a car  :o ) I hid it behind the radiator grille and got away with it. :D
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #18 on: 27 August 2013, 10:20:06 am »
Thanks red, will do. I never edited the vid at all Willie. I just uploaded it to youtube and they "fixed" any problems, which has resulted in a far reduced quality from that recorded  :( . It took 169 minutes to upload. Mr SD, I have been onto the ring site many times. I even emailed them to confirm a few things as there is conflicting information on there. There are several pdf downloads of rules available direct from the Nurburgring management. I will just wait and see when I get there  :D . If I can mount it, great.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 August 2013, 11:41:31 am »
If they are banned I imagine it's to do with some pressure group trying to get the place shut down and the ring is trying not to give them any ammunition in the form of looney tunes video's

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 August 2013, 06:44:37 pm »
Thanks red, will do. I never edited the vid at all Willie. I just uploaded it to youtube and they "fixed" any problems, which has resulted in a far reduced quality from that recorded  :( . It took 169 minutes to upload. Mr SD, I have been onto the ring site many times. I even emailed them to confirm a few things as there is conflicting information on there. There are several pdf downloads of rules available direct from the Nurburgring management. I will just wait and see when I get there  :D . If I can mount it, great.

Ah i think i am getting the hang of it now, i am using Windows movie maker, and saving it =for computer=wmf and it uploaded to youtube.
You can then cut  out lots of not so good bits and make the video more interesting and faster to upload.I have my first up on"next Wales meet" now.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #21 on: 28 August 2013, 05:49:28 pm »
Video without the YouTube crappy software trying to "stabilise" it!

Brig 'o turk onboard a Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 August 2013, 07:06:31 pm »
What's that foccin noise!

Nice exhaust note!

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #23 on: 28 August 2013, 08:31:29 pm »
Wind noise JZS. Loud, eah? That's why I wear ear protection  :lol

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 August 2013, 12:48:40 pm »
Great sound effect though, sounds like a racing bike!