Date: 23-04-24  Time: 22:08 pm

Author Topic: What a difference  (Read 3293 times)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
What a difference
« on: 09 February 2013, 08:35:01 pm »
I moved the position of the handlebars forward (toward rider) and the levers down. It is in more of a "sporty" position, but it makes it so much more comfy and controllable, with the only trade off being a slight loss of handlebar turn.

Have any of you folks done this already..?
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: What a difference
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2013, 09:00:54 pm »
It allways shocks me how few riders alter the bars and controls to suit them.
You wouldn't drive a car without putting the seat or steering wheel where you like it. But few ever set the controls up correctly for them self and just adapt to the way they are.

Tilts

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Gas Gas EC300
    • View Profile
    • Dirtcadets.com
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2013, 09:22:41 pm »
Talking of bars, I fitted a set if 755 today, nice bars, quite a bit higher but wider than the standard ones, happy with the position, only gripe I have with Renthal, is that they must be slightly wider in diameter than the originals, as I can't get the cluster unit with choke to fitt properly, its on, but close up properly when screwed..
Don't bullshit me, and I wont bullshit you.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2013, 09:41:55 pm »
I see what your saying there ghostbiker, but maybe the fact you need tools to adjust things on a bike puts some people off? In a car, it's just a plastic handle or two. Maybe motorcycle manufacturers should look at this to make it more approachable for those that dont know one end of a spanner from the other...
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2013, 11:17:31 pm »
A screwdriver and an Allen key? Just those 2 are normally enough to move bars, leavers and switch gear
If you don't own those maybe a bike isn't for you :P  j/k

More ppl tend to share car seats than bikes
Not saying you have to play with position, just it shocks me how many don't.

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 February 2013, 11:56:23 pm »
Surely if you move the bars forwards its AWAY from the rider, hence the lack of handle bar turn as they now touch the fairing???

Tilts

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Gas Gas EC300
    • View Profile
    • Dirtcadets.com
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2013, 12:00:13 am »
my levers now touch the mirrors... :eek

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2013, 12:03:29 am »
+1  gonna try this :thumbup
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2013, 02:34:36 am »
Ghostbiker - I get what your saying here. I actually did a load of other work to the bike last winter (5 page thread under adeejaysdelight - winter) before I changed the position of the bars. Strange, but I found it ok untill I set up my new mountain bike and though, whilst I have the tools out, why not do the ol' Fazer too. I have a comprehensive workshop full of quality tools and I would be quite confident to strip and rebuild most machines that don't have pneumatics, but my old flat mate could not change a plug!  :rolleyes  (he could design an ecommerce website in a day though).

Not everyone is happy to use tools. Some people don't own more than the tool kit under the seat...

Doddsie - your dead right, forward = away from rider  :lol . My mistake. So I moved them back. 

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2013, 06:10:08 pm »
I wouldn't want any loss of steering lock if I were commuting in London - the times I've needed to stand up and 'twist' the bike through several sets of wing mirrors :)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #10 on: 10 February 2013, 11:00:23 pm »
I've adjusted the gear shift and rear brake pedals, but never thought of moving the handlebars.

What would be the benefits/ downsides of doing so?

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 February 2013, 11:45:51 pm »
Handlebars are limited benefit, its mostly about comfort. A small change in position can alter the whole way you sit and fit on the bike. Of more importance is position of leavers and switch gear. So many times I have seen mostly young but also veterans with leavers or switch gear at angles that make the hard to reach or in the way for ease of use.
Same for brake pedal and gear leaver, a small change can make a big diff to missed gears or sore ankles from a to high brake pedal.

Ppl may think they are comfortable but have actually adapted thier riding to fit the bike, rather than get the bike to fit the rider.

I was talked through it first IAM'S observed ride but have been doing it long before that.
When ever I get a bike I ride for a few weeks to get a feel of the bike then start making changes to positions. Sometimes its pretty much right from the off, other times I can be playing for years. For example:
I recently swapped to a lower bar. This pulled me forward, shifted weight to the front and altered the way I sit. So I had to lower the brake and gear pedal to fit. Also found the leavers felt better tilted more forward than I normally do but the switch gear felt better slightly pulled back.
1 small change of just 5-10 mm in bar hight effected nearly all my controls.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 February 2013, 12:31:10 am »
I see what your saying there ghostbiker, but maybe the fact you need tools to adjust things on a bike puts some people off? In a car, it's just a plastic handle or two. Maybe motorcycle manufacturers should look at this to make it more approachable for those that dont know one end of a spanner from the other...

Hey Tilts, inside the switch gear there is a little nodule of plastic that fits into a little hole on the original handlebars, Renthals don't have this hole. You could drill the bars or just use a file to rub down the nodule inside the the switch gear. Sorry not very clearly written but if you look you'll see what i mean?
Good luck,   Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 February 2013, 08:43:44 am »
I've adjusted everything on my 02 600 fazer, but not the rear brake, i've looked but couldn't see any adjustment, is there one?
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 February 2013, 10:06:51 am »
I've adjusted everything on my 02 600 fazer, but not the rear brake, i've looked but couldn't see any adjustment, is there one?

Indeed there is, see this pic taken from Haynes'.  Remember to check that the rear brake light still comes on when you expect it to.
http://www.picatom.com/28/img/EasyCapture2-1.png
« Last Edit: 11 February 2013, 10:48:21 am by Buzz »
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Tilts

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Gas Gas EC300
    • View Profile
    • Dirtcadets.com
Re: Re: What a difference
« Reply #15 on: 11 February 2013, 01:56:12 pm »

Hey Tilts, inside the switch gear there is a little nodule of plastic that fits into a little hole on the original handlebars, Renthals don't have this hole. You could drill the bars or just use a file to rub down the nodule inside the the switch gear. Sorry not very clearly written but if you look you'll see what i mean?
Good luck,   Mickey

yep found it Mickey, removed,

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 February 2013, 03:11:24 pm »

Indeed there is, see this pic taken from Haynes'.  Remember to check that the rear brake light still comes on when you expect it to.
http://www.picatom.com/28/img/EasyCapture2-1.png

brilliant.  :kiss
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!