Date: 19-04-24  Time: 11:17 am

Author Topic: Gearbox issues  (Read 1665 times)

1998FZS600

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Gearbox issues
« on: 08 April 2013, 05:28:52 pm »
Hi, i recently bought a 1998 fzs 600 fazer and i thought it was all fine. But i have started to notice that sometimes when changing up the gears i can no longer get into 4th as when i apply pressure to the gear lever it moves but doesnt have any resistance, like it's not moving anything. Although sometimes if i rev a bit harder and try to shift again it will. Failing that i have to change down then back up. As well as this i have also noticed that changing from 1st gear to 2nd gear is very clunky and even sounds like its grinding a bit. So far i have adjusted the clutch cable on the engine and the lever and adjusted the lever so it is inline with the little dimple on the gear selector shaft. None of this helped. I did read somewhere about a spring wearing out and not having enough force to allow selection on an up-shift. could this be the problem?

any ideas would be amazing. Thanks, Dan.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Gearbox issues
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2013, 05:45:07 pm »
Have you made sure the the gear lever universal bushes on the ends of the stretch bar are not worn or seized up?

As you've adjusted the clutch etc it sounds like selector fork/s issue!

Later

1998FZS600

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2013, 05:55:23 pm »
Have you made sure the the gear lever universal bushes on the ends of the stretch bar are not worn or seized up?

As you've adjusted the clutch etc it sounds like selector fork/s issue!

I'm pretty sure the bushes are all good. So how do i go about checking the selector forks then?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2013, 06:18:14 pm »
To get at the selector drum you need to split the engine case!

There are other things to check first all involve a level of strip down, its possible the clutch it's self is worn/damaged or there is wear to the shift shaft mechanism this is situated behind the clutch basket.
Later

1998FZS600

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2013, 07:01:05 pm »
To get at the selector drum you need to split the engine case!

There are other things to check first all involve a level of strip down, its possible the clutch it's self is worn/damaged or there is wear to the shift shaft mechanism this is situated behind the clutch basket.

Okay, i have split a 125 two stroke engine before but never a 4 stroke inline 4 engine. Could be a challenge if i have to do that. So how would i determine whether it's the clutch is worn or the shift shaft mechanism? Are there any characteristic features to look out for? If it's not the clutch/shift shaft mechanism is there any point in trying to do this job myself (skint student) or should i by a new engine?