Date: 29-03-24  Time: 05:12 am

Author Topic: 3rd puncture in 6 months!  (Read 8648 times)

110%

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
3rd puncture in 6 months!
« on: 14 May 2012, 09:14:22 am »
I've just suffered my 3rd puncture in 6 months and it's beginning to piss me off now! It's my second new rear tyre on the Fazer and the tyre's only done 400 miles. The previous tyre had only done 2000 miles and had been repaired once already so I got it changed to be on the safe side.

My question is: Is there a solution to a recurring expensive problem like this (other than commuting to work using the underground!!) such as using inner tubes within the tyres or are there any tyres which are more robust to punctures than others?

Also - how safe are repaired tyres (provided that the puncture is central on the tread) and will it affect the maximum speed on the tyre?
#Driven by the irony that only being shackled to the road could ever I be free.#

keno

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX1200R 2006
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd puncture in 6 months!
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2012, 11:08:53 am »
Got a puncture in my michelin road pilot 2's rear tyre about 2-1/2 years ago got it repaired by a local bike shop £10 if i took the wheel of myself, never lost any air in that time i ride the bike hard sometimes and never had a problem.

I bought one of these not long after "Just in case"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STOP-n-GO-POCKET-TYRE-PLUGGER-REPAIR-KIT-/290711055754?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item43afbaad8a

110%

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2012, 12:23:23 pm »
Thanks Keno. I've just spotted this online:

Stop and Go Pocket Tire Plugger Demo

It seems quite easy to use, and I'm guessing once inflated that the air pressure will ensure the plug stays firmly in place, but I've heard a few people who question how safe they are. Do the garages repair tyres in the same way or do they remove the tyre and patch the inside as well??
#Driven by the irony that only being shackled to the road could ever I be free.#

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2012, 12:43:15 pm »
This works fine on all tubeless tyres and it is A LOT easier to use than it is changing tubes (that's why I prefer tubeless for touring, unless it's touring on some bad bad rocky roads):

http://www.louis.de/_30c063f403212b5cbc3a65acd02a0fc234/index.php?topic=artnr&artnr=10032076

You take foreign object out of the tyre.
You clean the hole with the small "drill" that comes in the package.
You put rubber "worm" in the special tool, cover it with the glue from the package, stick it all the way in (it will go HARD, require some force, but that's normal), turn it some quarter of a circle and pull out.
Cut the extra out.
Use CO cartridge to inflate tyre since it will not stick to the rim after being punctured.
After some pressure is gained with CO cartridge and tyre is stuck to the rim, inflate some more with a bicycle pump, or borrow a nice big car pump.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2012, 12:45:12 pm by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Voidoids

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2012, 01:34:00 pm »
I've just suffered my 3rd puncture in 6 months and it's beginning to piss me off now! It's my second new rear tyre on the Fazer and the tyre's only done 400 miles. The previous tyre had only done 2000 miles and had been repaired once already so I got it changed to be on the safe side.
Hey! This pic should add a little cheer - maybe it's a new record?
Rode my new Fazer 8 home at 1pm, picked this up at 5:30pm! 85 miles on the odometer  :'(
Approx. 10mm diameter - saw it at the tyre shop the following morning, it appears to be approx. 1/2 turn of a 3" diameter suspension leg spring from a car!
The lucky thing for me is that when I pulled up the tyre went flat in less than 20secs, seems the speed kept the thing sort of sealed.
No plugging that one - had to be recovered via AA  :\ 
I think my glass was half-full & not half-empty that day...Didn't stop me racking up nearly 400miles over the weekend though!
Frank

110%

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2012, 01:45:02 pm »
Frank - Did you write to the Guinness book of records to check that one?!
Slaninar - how often have you used this type of repair, and how effective/safe would you say it is?

I've phoned the RAC who will repair it at the side of the road where I'm working (I've got free RAC roadside recovery through my MCE insurance policy) so I should be riding it home tonight. I'll ask the RAC man his opinion on how robust the repairs are when he gets here.

keno

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX1200R 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2012, 02:23:00 pm »
The one slaninar is using is basically the same as mine except it uses glue where mine uses tyre pressure to keep the plug in tight, and his you have to push the stick in where as mine you just tighten the allen key until it wont go anymore then pull it tight and cut of excess,both do the same job just which do you prefer.
heres a link to the other type slaninar is on about.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stop-n-Go-Tube-Tubeless-ATV-Tyre-Repair-Plug-Kit-/300676049090?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4601b068c2#ht_1843wt_982

My tyre was taken off and patched and plugged from inside the tyre wall but would not hesitate to use my plug kit as i have heard good things about it lasting till the end of the tyres life if done correctly.

End of the day its your choice.. ;)

110%

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2012, 03:12:45 pm »
The RAC man has been and gone. He used the following type of repair kit as a temporary repair:

http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/tip-top-rep--air-tubeless-puncture-repair-kit/79

He told me not to exceed 40mph and to take it to see if the garage can repair it. Having said that he doesn't think the tyre will even be fixable at the garage and that I will be buying my third brand new rear tyre for the Fazer costing me over £100 again.  :'(

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2012, 03:57:41 pm »
I got two within a few weeks when I started riding. The common fault was riding in the hatchings/unused areas of the road, I avoid them like the plague now and so far it's worked well.

Probably get 3 nails in each tyre on the way home now  :rolleyes
thou shalt not kick

110%

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2012, 04:13:34 pm »
In London it's difficult not to ride in the hatches when it comes to filtering, but the puncture this morning was on Upper Richmond Road - a single carriage main road whilst I was lane splitting and all I heard was a loud 'pop' from the rear.

The worst places for random debris are at the junctions which have islands in the middle of the road. There are a few places where I will filter back into the traffic 2 or 3 cars before the lights to avoid riding over a load of stones/bits that have fallen off cars/rubbish that gathers right next to the traffic island, where as a lot of other riders I see will plough through them regardless to get to the front of the queue.

I'll put it down to bad luck (again).

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2012, 05:11:40 pm »
this what i use for last 7/8 years job done  ;) :D
http://www.ultraseal-swiftlysorted.co.uk/

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2012, 05:37:26 pm »
The one slaninar is using is basically the same as mine except it uses glue where mine uses tyre pressure to keep the plug in tight, and his you have to push the stick in where as mine you just tighten the allen key until it wont go anymore then pull it tight and cut of excess,both do the same job just which do you prefer.

I think your is a bit safer (pressure prevents it from falling out. Although, mine has worked on motorcycle and car tyres without problems. For long periods of  time. However, umbrella patching is the only way to be sure tyre is safely fixed, and that is best done in a shop (requires taking tyre off the rim):

"
  • Umbrella Patches Umbrella patches are a hybrid between a patch and a plug. Locate and remove the foreign material that punctured the tire, then remove the tire from the rim. Clean the area with solvent about three inches around the puncture. Use a reaming tool to properly size the hole to receive the plug portion of the umbrella patch, then insert the plug into the puncture hole of the tire using a tool specially designed for the purpose. Pull the plug section through the puncture hole until the glued patch portion bottoms out on the inner surface of the tire. Trim the excess plug material away, then mount the tire on the rim. Inflate the tire then balance it before putting the tire back on the car.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

keno

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX1200R 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2012, 11:04:58 am »

Umbrella Patches Umbrella patches are a hybrid between a patch and a plug. Locate and remove the foreign material that punctured the tire, then remove the tire from the rim. Clean the area with solvent about three inches around the puncture. Use a reaming tool to properly size the hole to receive the plug portion of the umbrella patch, then insert the plug into the puncture hole of the tire using a tool specially designed for the purpose. Pull the plug section through the puncture hole until the glued patch portion bottoms out on the inner surface of the tire. Trim the excess plug material away, then mount the tire on the rim. Inflate the tire then balance it before putting the tire back on the car.

Thats what bike shop done to mine slaninar £10 and never had a problem in 2 1/2 years

110%

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2012, 01:39:14 pm »
Just had a quote of £37 +VAT to repair the tyre based on £60/hour labour costs +VAT (I'm in London) plus about £7 for the umbrella patch. This is what makes punctures so annoying because they aren't something I can repair cheaply myself.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2012, 03:43:29 pm »
hi, i always use  THE TYRE PLUGGER  got it from busters mail order swansea years ago!! cost then was £15.99 so so easy to use!! you get 20 plugs in the kit and replacements are £4.99 for 20 off ebay! fixed loads a motorcycle and car tyres and NEVER had a problem!! this is the mushroom type? you dont need glue either!!

110%

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2012, 12:09:23 pm »
No wonder it went pop:

The garage found a 2 inch long piece of iron inside the tyre when they fixed it up! Back on the road now and I think I'm going to buy one the kits mentioned below for the future - most probably the stop and go tyre plugger.

Thanks for the replys everyone.

keno

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX1200R 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2012, 01:39:19 pm »
Just had a quote of £37 +VAT to repair the tyre based on £60/hour labour costs +VAT (I'm in London) plus about £7 for the umbrella patch. This is what makes punctures so annoying because they aren't something I can repair cheaply myself.

Feck me... :eek  "glad i live up north".

110%

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2012, 02:39:21 pm »
It came to £36.62 in the end. It was only £45 per hour labour - I presume it was one of the less qualified mechanics fixing it (very reassuring!!)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2012, 10:40:31 am »
 I was tootling along and there was a bump-bump-bump which faded away. So got on the dual carriageway home.
When I looked I had picked up a 4inch nail through the side and out through the centre ish part - which then bent over (that was the fading bump) and the tire was still up when I got home
I now do not flinch when I have to spend £140 on a tyre that can cope with that and not blow up or somthing.
« Last Edit: 03 September 2013, 10:57:50 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 March 2014, 05:32:14 pm »
Ouch , that was pricy .
It came to £36.62 in the end. It was only £45 per hour labour - I presume it was one of the less qualified mechanics fixing it (very reassuring!!)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 March 2014, 06:39:27 pm »
The common fault was riding in the hatchings/unused areas of the road, I avoid them like the plague now and so far it's worked well.

Yep I am the same now ever since getting a 5 inch nail from the hatches,
« Last Edit: 29 March 2014, 09:43:10 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 March 2014, 08:34:47 am »
Craftyplugger
Craftyplugger
Craftyplugger
Some say...

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 March 2014, 09:13:25 am »
Is this at a bike shop? surely quickfit watling tyres or any other tyre shop dont talk hourly rates. Or am I being bike naive.
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

paulkemp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 March 2014, 11:03:18 am »
ULTRASEAL.
quite simply that Is the solution.
£20 for both wheels seals punctures as they happen.
Run it in my FZ8 and don't  have any wobble or imbalance even in excess of 140 :-)