Date: 16-04-24  Time: 09:57 am

Author Topic: Dodgy fuel gauge  (Read 13825 times)

2old2boogie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Dodgy fuel gauge
« on: 18 January 2012, 03:46:55 pm »
The fuel gauge on my Fazer 600 shows full all the time! Is this a known fault on this bike? If so what is the cure?
I live in my own little world. But it's ok, they know me here.

Silverdream

• Weekend Warrior
  • Live it - Ride it..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Dodgy fuel gauge
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2012, 11:20:24 pm »

:eek once you have filled up .. you need to ride a few miles... :rolleyes

Unless you have one of those miracle bikes that runs on air....  :rollin

Wish mine was full all the time... im usually rooting around my deep pockets for the last pennies for some petrol

Seriously though... in the petrol tank.. stuck sender unit.. maybe give it wiggle or check the wires coming out of the bottom of the tank and make sure they are still connected to the loom...???

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2012, 06:57:35 am »
Could also be a wire shorting to earth, check your wiring from the tank sender all the way back.

2old2boogie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2012, 03:51:37 pm »
Thanks for the feedback lads. I will bite on the bullet then and get the multitester out. Thought it was best to check if there was a known fault on these models that may have saved a lot of hassle troubleshooting  ;)
 :'(

Jacko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2012, 07:28:28 pm »
Interesting, when mines nearly empty the gauge goes up to full sometimes, will check wiring also.
Sent from my pants - using talkingbollocks

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2012, 01:11:17 pm »
Thanks for the feedback lads. I will bite on the bullet then and get the multitester out. Thought it was best to check if there was a known fault on these models that may have saved a lot of hassle troubleshooting  ;)
 :'(
Did you sort out your fuel gauge? If so what did you find?  :rolleyes

2old2boogie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2012, 03:43:45 pm »
No I have not got round to it yet. I'll post on here when I do, probably over the weekend  :rolleyes

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 December 2014, 03:49:56 pm »
Looks like i'll have to do similar.

Mine either shows below empty, above full or half when it's actually full.
Recently had the fuel warning light decide not to warn me. Had to have the bike picked up this morning which was embarrassing...

reddave101

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2014, 01:42:44 pm »
had same problem, but thankfully it is sorted. 1 time it would show full and the next it would show empty even after I fill up. What I found after stripping a few things off was that the terminals under the tank for the sender unit were a bit green and the rubber cover was twisted. Dismantled the tank, cleaned the terminals, untwisted the rubber cover, put a piece of sponge on the frame where the fuel pump is as when the tank is lowered the terminals maybe touching and earthing against the crossbar under the tank. Did all this and since then had accurate readings on my gauge.  :)
It's not a speed limit it's a target

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 December 2014, 02:01:36 pm »
had same problem, but thankfully it is sorted. 1 time it would show full and the next it would show empty even after I fill up. What I found after stripping a few things off was that the terminals under the tank for the sender unit were a bit green and the rubber cover was twisted. Dismantled the tank, cleaned the terminals, untwisted the rubber cover, put a piece of sponge on the frame where the fuel pump is as when the tank is lowered the terminals maybe touching and earthing against the crossbar under the tank. Did all this and since then had accurate readings on my gauge.  :)

I will also try this.

chris.turton

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 December 2014, 08:50:29 am »

Cheers, I'll have a look at this myself. It never really occured to me that a fuel gauge on a bike could be reliable so I just try to remember to fill up at around 130 miles. It would be nice to have it working properly though

loadeddice

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX6R 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 December 2014, 11:03:41 pm »
Interesting....my fuel gauge has similar 'episodes'. I began restoration back in 2011 ensuring all terminals were cleaned & greased, so I'd be surprised if mine has become corroded again in that time. However, I intend to finish the resto' over this winter & will check again.
Could it possibly be the tank sensor/sender...?

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 December 2014, 10:54:54 pm »
Had a similar problem recently and fixed it over Christmas, forgot to take a few pictures.

As most may know it uses a potentiometer which changes resistance as the level of fuel drops. It has a small levers which rotate across a resistive track to change the resistance. Sometimes the tracks wear or the lever wears in the holder.

I removed the sender unit and the bar which holds the float felt like it had to much play on the potentiometer side. This is held in place with a spring washer with a washer under it.

Using a pliers I pushed the spring washer down more to tighten it up and it appears to have resolved the problem.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 December 2014, 03:33:34 pm »
Spring washer with a washer,resistive track,potentiometer, ????? Eh
 shame you forgot to take pictures
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 January 2015, 10:24:51 pm »
If you remove the sender the spring washer and washer are fairly obvious. If I get time this week I will take it off again and take a picture
« Last Edit: 04 January 2015, 10:25:24 pm by unfazed »

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 January 2015, 05:19:34 am »
Will have to do this on mine, shame ive just brimmed the tank.

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 April 2015, 01:53:34 pm »
I started having problems with my fuel gauge yesterday as well. The tank is full but the gauge jumps all around, showing half-full, then empty, then reserve light goes on, then off, etc.

I sprayed some WD40 on contacts below the tank, but it didn't help.
What should I try next? I didn't understand a word here (sorry, eng is not my native language):

Had a similar problem recently and fixed it over Christmas, forgot to take a few pictures.

As most may know it uses a potentiometer which changes resistance as the level of fuel drops. It has a small levers which rotate across a resistive track to change the resistance. Sometimes the tracks wear or the lever wears in the holder.

I removed the sender unit and the bar which holds the float felt like it had to much play on the potentiometer side. This is held in place with a spring washer with a washer under it.

Using a pliers I pushed the spring washer down more to tighten it up and it appears to have resolved the problem.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 April 2015, 02:11:15 pm »
No I have not got round to it yet. I'll post on here when I do, probably over the weekend  :rolleyes

:eek  Thought I was king of Procrastination  :evil
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 April 2015, 03:20:21 pm »
See picture

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 April 2015, 04:44:15 pm »
Thanks, will try tomorrow!

infiniteloop

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 April 2015, 05:09:22 pm »
Need to check mine out soon….often my fuel gauge shows full at the same time the reserve light is on..!

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 April 2015, 05:32:13 pm »
Just to add to the variety, my fuel gauge only works when I am doing 5k+ RPM. On idle or low speading, it keeps moving down and down and eventually low fuel warning light comes up, but as soon as I pick up decent speed, needle starts creeping back up again and when it works the reading is correct. Never bothered me too much as I always (and need to) fill up every other day.

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 April 2015, 02:59:05 pm »

You were right.
One of these needles wasn't touching the contact board, due to loose washer.
I fixed it now, but more importantly, I think I know what caused it to get loose.
The bar which holds the float is on easy spot to get hit by fuel pistol while refueling, so, if you insert the pistol too low, you'll probably hit it and step by step cause further loosening of the washer.
I advise caution when inserting the pistol to avoid that...

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 April 2015, 07:05:42 pm »
 :thumbup

loadeddice

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX6R 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 May 2015, 10:29:53 pm »
Here we go again......I've finished my rebuild at last & during the latter stages of the process I did indeed, address my fuel gauge/sender issues. However, despite all advice applied to my sender/wires, my fault persists.
Is it possible to install a picture of my Fazer here anyplace..?