Date: 26-04-24  Time: 17:10 pm

Author Topic: 2- up long distance touring fzs 600  (Read 3650 times)

redfox1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
2- up long distance touring fzs 600
« on: 03 October 2015, 04:56:58 pm »
Has anyone toured long-distance satisfactorily two-up on their 600? Just done 180 miles on mine with the wife-she now wants to tour Ireland! However,everybody seems to say that the thou is the perfect pillion tourer.So we tried one for comfort,and the boss said that the seat wasn't a patch on our 600.Would the 600 cope ,or is the thou that much better?

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: 2- up long distance touring fzs 600
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2015, 06:01:33 pm »
No problem it is a very capable 2 up tourer, I have done it loads of times,  :thumbup the longest trip was 800 miles in 30 Hours, because I missed the foccing boat from Rosslare to Cherbourg. :'( and went from Pembroke to Dover to Calais to Angers to get the holiday back on track. We were knackered the day after, but grand after that. 200 to 300 a day is enough.
You can get up to 270miles from the 02-03 FZS600 with its 22 litre tank between refills.

We have toured the around Ireland,  England, France, Pyrenees and Northern Spain and on it also.

I would suggest you replace the pillion foot rest rubbers and use the same ones as the Rider foot pegs for passenger comfort. They are about £15 each, but much better for comfort and grip. Part number is 4BP-27413-00. Put a large 30mm washer between the exhaust bracket and the inside of the foot peg which reduces resonance vibration and helps comfort also. :thumbup

The only other extras (besides the luggage) I have on the 600 are progressive fork springs and a slightly heavier spring on the Hagon Shock. I found the original standard spring on the Hagon too soft. Our combined weight is about 22stone with gear.

My wife agrees that the 600 pillion seat is more comfortable. (I have both and we can speak from experience) We use a bean bag to improve the 1000 seat. 

Give us a call in Cork if you do the Ireland trip, lots of good places to see, visit and some great scenic good roads, as I am sure Downey will agree with :lol
« Last Edit: 03 October 2015, 06:03:32 pm by unfazed »

redfox1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2015, 06:26:37 pm »
Thanks for that unfazed.We would be going up to Derry first to see the wife's family,and then heading south,via a pilgrimage to Ballyshannon (Rory Gallagher's birthplace) ,so I might be heading your way! The 600 coped admirably with the last trip,and seemed to run smoother as the day wore on,but there is always the nagging thought that the thou would be that little bit better!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2015, 06:51:13 pm »
Thanks for that unfazed.We would be going up to Derry first to see the wife's family,and then heading south,via a pilgrimage to Ballyshannon (Rory Gallagher's birthplace) ,so I might be heading your way! The 600 coped admirably with the last trip,and seemed to run smoother as the day wore on,but there is always the nagging thought that the thou would be that little bit better!

A common assumption, but take it from me other than the extra power for motorway journeys I found no major advantage since the 600 has a better tank range, which is vital in the likes of France since everything off the motorways shut down at 7pm. :eek

I prefer the lighter bikes. Rode a friends FJR1300 from Nerja (southern Spain) to Cherbourg over 5 days and even though I thoroughly enjoyed it, I found it far to heavy even without the luggage.

A very important pilgrimage that one to Ballyshannon and then to his second home 'Cork' :D

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2015, 08:44:07 pm »
Must admit I wished I'd have tried the 6 before I bought my thou, EXUP Valve issues and some early vibes on mine before I got the rear exhaust mounting bracket welded back up, It's still a buzzy beast now.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2015, 10:39:52 pm »
I used my 600's for long distance stuff, only really changing the screen and bars.
Bought the gen1 thinking that would be better. Erm, no! Seat was appauling in comparison.
Sold it and bought a tiger 1050 for two up touring.
The 600 Fazer is plenty good enough for it.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!