Date: 29-03-24  Time: 12:35 pm

Author Topic: Weather protectors for handlebars  (Read 1407 times)

Nellog

• CBT Wobbler
  • Getting there is the best bit
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Weather protectors for handlebars
« on: 12 April 2017, 06:17:23 pm »
Hi all,
I'm after a pair of hand protectors that I can fit to my handlebars.

I do a bit of touring on my FZ1 2005 model. Last trip my hands got soaked though from rain  :( , and I want to avoid that this year. I've been looking for yonks and I can't find any simple weather shields to fit. I don't want to sound a skinflint (but, frankly, the Yamaha ones thorugh my dealer are a rip-off), but there must be a simple system that fits around the brake fluid resevoir and are large enough to provide protection (the so called generic 'motocross' type seem small).
I've found some for the 2009 model - would they fit my bike?
Does anybody on here use them? Any suggestions please.
Many thanks,
Nellog

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Weather protectors for handlebars
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2017, 06:51:37 pm »
Fz1 ie injected model?? If so no idea but if carb one then Suzuki 650 ones work. Sorry for the qn but thought the carb model late until 2006???

Nellog

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2017, 06:14:54 pm »
Thanks, Tom. Yep - carb'd version. I'll have a butchers at the Suzuki 650 protectors you recommend. The big issue I found with the ones I bought - and immediately sold on - was the armoured brake hose from the reservoir - The attachment from the protector would only just squeeze into a gap in the two hoses and moving it aorund to fit was really a non-starter. But I'll check out those you recommend.
Many thanks,
Nellog

Nellog

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2017, 06:16:37 pm »
Yeah - it's been a bit of an issue in the past. It's an FZ1 carb'd, 2005 model. Bloomin import  :\

Nellog

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2017, 08:58:03 pm »
Thanks for the advice, Tom. I got the Suzi 650 protectors. A bit of fine adjustment needed: the hole in the 'tab' that's meant to fit around the bar end and be gripped when tightening in the bar end wieght is too small, so I cut it larger. . . only to find it's too thick for the gap between the bar and weight. Consequently, friction is appled to the throttle, essentially preventing it from closing.  . . not good! So I shaved down the tab but no change. I now have the tab simply held in position beacuse of its rigidity. After a good long test run, I noticed no vibration so I'm happy with it. And they do make a difference  :D

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2017, 04:22:28 pm »
Nice one, glad to be of service. I made a thinner bit to go next to the bar end out of aluminium and cut off the thick plastic bit, then rivetted the two together.