Date: 16-04-24  Time: 08:00 am

Author Topic: r1 fork conversion  (Read 1203 times)

fazed out

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
r1 fork conversion
« on: 05 July 2015, 08:32:45 pm »
Here's my take on a stem mod i took a 5pw stem cut in half stuffed a tube up the inside then mounted to the top yolk  so to get the distance when mounted to the fazer with a new bearing to take 30mm stem ..all balls  part 99-3540-5  30x47x12 mated to a gen2 top yolk then had a solid 1 made at a toolmakers & lukes extensions
« Last Edit: 06 July 2015, 09:55:01 am by fazed out »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: r1 fork conversion
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2015, 09:28:32 pm »
Nice - I love the way folks keep coming up with different ways of doing this mod. :)

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2015, 03:57:52 pm »
Looks good. What lower yokes did you use? Was it a new steering stem you got made at a toolmakers or something else?  What do you reckon this mod has cost you in all, top yoke, lower yoke, steering stem, bearings, yoke extenders and machining costs?

Are the cables and brake lines the same or do they need changing?

I have forks ready but the rest of the project has gone on hold until I come back from France next week.

However, I have just stuck a Nitron shock on mine today. :D

Plus a pair of T30 Evo's  :D

Finally got it Dyno'd again after Mike's full monty job on it +7bhp  :D

One thing that may be holding mine back a bit is because it was a Tazz bike American import it hasa some kind of charcoal filter thingy behind the headers, perhaps an early attempt at a Cat Convertor? Is it possible / easy to remove this and what would be the gain to do so?

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2015, 06:21:41 pm »
If the charcoal filter is the same or similar to the one on my car it is designed to absorb the fumes from the top of the fuel tank, rather than vent them into the atmosphere, then when you start the car the filter is purged by a valve allowing the 'stored' fumes to be burnt somehow. I have not traced all the pipework, but it probably goes into the air filter housing.

Can't see how this affects the engine power???

Maybe someone on the US site may have a better idea?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2015, 08:58:54 pm »
The charcoal filter indicates not just a US bike but specifically a California model.  It's a fume filter for the fuel tank, that's all.  Makes no difference to performance.  Leave it or remove it - your choice.  Uncle Sam won't mind now. :D