Date: 16-04-24  Time: 15:43 pm

Author Topic: So have yamaha sold any 8's ?  (Read 18440 times)

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
So have yamaha sold any 8's ?
« on: 03 October 2011, 08:39:25 pm »
Has anyone actually got one yet???

Janet

• DAS Born Again
  • Mad woman
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
    • Torque Monsters Home Page
Re: So have yamaha sold any 8's ?
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2011, 02:10:07 pm »
I took one out for a demo ride last July, but it didn't seem as good as my 2008 Hornet 600. The dealer then said that they had some cheap brand new FZ1s going, so I took a demo ride on one of those and bought one. IMHO there's a huge difference between the two, with the FZ8 being a bit too nice, and the FZ1 being a bit of a pit bull ... and that's how I like my bikes.

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2011, 02:27:57 pm »
I looked at my local Yam's webpage to see it they were knocking them out cheaply but they don't even sell them :\ I've never seen one on the streets.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2011, 05:25:36 pm »
according to the "how many left" website, there were 185 licensed or SORNed in Q2 2011.

Not their biggest seller then :lol

But.... SORNed? really? a brand new bike, in summer?????? :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2011, 07:38:55 am »
I reckon I saw one in wales on the weekend...a white one, faired. Dont think they make white fz-1s...??

I had one as a loan bike, and other than slightly cheaper price, cant see the point , as a FZ-1 is miles quicker.If they were substantially cheaper it might make sense, and if the thought of huge power puts you off a bike !
apologies to any fz-8 owners, but thats how I see it. :\

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2011, 08:33:52 pm »
apologies to any fz-8 owners, but thats how I see it. :\
No need to apologise to an empty room. Taste is subjective, some people will have seen something in the FZ8 that made them think it was worth buying, just none that have owned up to doing so far on these forums.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 October 2011, 09:27:20 pm »
someone may buy one if they want a fz-1 but cannot afford the insurance on one,mostly young riders,but yamaha prices are a bit ott though,even their parts prices are expensive as i have noticed as i have also a honda vfr750

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2011, 01:50:46 pm »
someone may buy one if they want a fz-1 but cannot afford the insurance on one,mostly young riders,but yamaha prices are a bit ott though,even their parts prices are expensive as i have noticed as i have also a honda vfr750
Doing a quick Google the FZ8 is insurance group 16 with the FZ1 coming in at 15 or 16 so insurance between the bikes isn't going to be an issue..........

Janet

• DAS Born Again
  • Mad woman
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
    • Torque Monsters Home Page
« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2011, 02:16:57 pm »
I followed a white naked one for several miles today on the "Hoggin' the Bridge" charity ride. It had a George White plate.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #9 on: 02 November 2011, 08:21:47 am »
Yamaha will sell a lot of Fazer 8's as soon as the newest FZS model becomes 40 years old and hard to find in decent condition. Time is on 8's side!   :)
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 November 2011, 05:37:37 pm »
A castrated Fazer.  That's what the 8 is.  Bike mag described it as "a bit weak with a duff shock".     Wonder who they thought the competition was.    Price is just funny.    In the thou corner, a guy has just bought a new FZ1N '10 model for £6k and 0% finance over two years.   If my credit score wasn't laughable due to a couple of years off work on nil pay or benefits,  I'd have a gen2 in a shot.   

maybe a cat C damaged one to fighter and use as a commuter.  can't think of any other use for it.  mick
Head Focced

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 November 2011, 11:39:38 pm »
The FZ8 was a hugh let down, as were the Kawasaki and Suzuki 750 efforts.

When I started riding, back in the early '70s, a 750 was a big bike and now a properly sorted 750/800 would be all you really need on the road for solo riding. Instead, they've all brought out cheap and nasty versions of bigger bikes, not thinking that some might opt for an engine you can use more of, more of the time.

Must try harder!

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 December 2011, 10:03:48 pm »
a properly sorted 750/800 would be all you really need on the road for solo riding. Instead, they've all brought out cheap and nasty versions of bigger bikes, not thinking that some might opt for an engine you can use more of, more of the time.
Whilst its true that 100 BHP is more than sufficient no-one is going to admit to the fact, which is why litre bikes sell so well even if their 160+ BHP means the only way riders can use the power is through aids such as traction control and power mode switches. Why dont Suzuki do a GSXR750 with high bars and a bikini fairing? I'd buy one !!!  (OK they do the GSR750 - But it's not what we want)
« Last Edit: 06 December 2011, 10:08:05 pm by PieEater »

Tagsantite

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 December 2011, 10:19:05 pm »
Okay then, I've just bought one. I admit it!
3 months old, 1k on the clock for £5500
I know that Yamaha have announced a £1000 price drop on new, but surely £5.5 must be right money?

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 December 2011, 11:28:46 pm »
Reckon thats a very fair price - theres nothing wrong with the 800 once the price is closer to the 600s

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #15 on: 11 December 2011, 06:58:37 am »
The FZ8 was a hugh let down, as were the Kawasaki and Suzuki 750 efforts.

When I started riding, back in the early '70s, a 750 was a big bike and now a properly sorted 750/800 would be all you really need on the road for solo riding.

Only for solo?!? Maybe I'm inexperienced, but that's more than enough for 2up. Anything over 90 bhp is more than enough for nice ride 2up plus luggage. Enough power for goind uphill, for taking over cars etc. I hear people saying "yes, but on a 1000 you don't have to change gears all tha time". When I hear that, I think of a 2000 cc diesel automatic - NO FUN.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 December 2011, 07:34:31 pm »
You're probably quite right, Slaninar, but as PieEater says, nobody wants to admit that they never use a large chunk of the power available from a 1000. In recent years I've moved from 600s to 1000s, back to 600s and now back to a 1000, and I keep wishing there was something in between that wasn't just a sleeved down litre bike with budget suspension.
I had high hopes that the FZ8 would be the ideal bike for me, but, sadly, it isn't.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 December 2011, 07:49:32 pm »
I bought one as soon as they came out.

I used to have an XJR1300 and Street Triple. I part ex'd both for the Fazer 800 as I wanted a comfy sports tourer with some wind protection. The XJR was good for touring but not too throwabout in the twisties, the Street Triple was the other way. The Fazer8 is a decent compromise between the two.

I've had it since August 2010 and have done 17,000 miles now.  It might not have the same grunt as the XJR as you would expect, but there is plenty. Peak torque is at  8,000 rpm so doesn't need a lot of revs like a lot of sports bike engines.  I'm not too sure where the top end rush is, according to Yamaha's sales blurb there should be one, but there isn't. Between 6-10,000 revs there is enough power to get me where I want to go as quick as I want so not too bothered.

The fairing is nice and wide, wider than the 600/1000 Fazers, and with the touring screen its very good. No flies on my jacket anymore and no buffeting on the helmet. It makes touing a lot more comfortable.

Fuel consumption is good, I get 50-55 mpg on mine, which is around 150-165 miles until the fuel light comes on after 3 gallons used. I quite like the trip which comes on telling you how many miles you've done since the light comes on. The furthest I've been on a tankfull is 195 miles and was pleased to see the petrol station.

The softer suspension is great on bumpy roads, no jolting or out of the seat moments. I prefer to go the scenic routes when touing and have the time so often the road surface is often less than perfect and it works well enough. Whacking the rear pre-load up helps to stop some of the initial soggyness. It would be nice to have fully adjustable suspension, but I probably wouldn't adjust it that far from what it is now for my riding although I think the rear could do with a bit more rebound damping. I've not thought of getting an after market shock as it doesnt really warrant the money. I think it would be fairly shit around a track as the suspension is so soft and the pegs would deck out to early, but I dont do track days any longer so aren't bothered. As long as you are smooth on the throttle and brakes on the road its no problem there either.

It only comes with ABS brakes, if there had been an option of not having ABS I would have taken that. After bedding the pads in I tried them out on a bumpy back road yanking them on as hard as I could. The bike dived down due to the soft forks, the tyres squealed and the bike stopped as quick as I would have liked. After having the bike for so long and riding in some bad weather I think if there is the option of ABS or not I would go for them now.

There are some decent bungy points to tie luggage to. I wish the pillion grab handles were 2 inches longer at the back to tie straps to though. As a recent addition I put a rack and top box on which doesn't exactly enhance the looks but is very handy. Bit of a pisser having to remove a bit of plastic from the seat unit to fit the rack though, very un-Japanese like, but it was an easy task with a hot knife. Only £200 for the Yamaha rack and box was good.

It came with BT021 tyres originally, which are fine sport touring tyres. Bridgestone now have BT023 replacing them and I thought it was a bit cheap of Yamaha not supplying the bike with those. When I replaced the tyres, BT021s were still available at £25 less, so I bought them again.

No real issues with the bike reliability wise. It was a bit slow to start once when left unused for a few weeks. The injection system needs maximum volts, so its now left on the trickle charger all the time when not in use. I also had to top up the coolant with distilled water as it went below the lower limit in a hot Germany. It hasn't lost any more since. No rust anywhere, and the chain and sprockets still look fine, I only have to adjust the chain every 2,000 miles.

Servicing is cheap enough at Poole Motorcycles and they are only a mile away. Valve clearances are at 24,000 miles and wont cost me much. I couldn't believe the price Triumph charge for theirs every 12,000 miles.

The bike came in for a bit of stick in magazine tests for 'only' being a sleeved down 1000 motor, but if you think of it as a non race 750 engine its fine. I was quite glad it shares parts with the FZ1 as in Germany in 2010 I had a dumb 20 mph off on wet tram lines and the start motor cover cracked on the corner of the tram line. As the bike had only been out a couple of months I was worried spare parts may not have been available (I had to wait 4 months for the centre stand when I bought the bike), but a new cover, same as the FZ1, was dispatched and turned up next day.

Downsides are the dip in torque at 5,000 rpm. Its quite noticable, and if you want to overtake quickly at lower speeds you need it at 6000 rpm. If its at 5000 in 4th and it takes a while to pull through to 6000. I guess its all down to reducing emissions/noise to pass the tests.  After having the bike for 15 months I put a Mivv Ghibli end can on, which looks neat, sounds good with baffles in, and it gets rid of the dip in torque. It provides a bit of character, something the bike lacks engine wise.  With the new can fitted, there is little in the way of exhaust, the box containing the catalytic converter is small. Some bikes these days have huge ugly metalwork in the exhaust system.
Shame it doesn't have the torque curve of Suzuki's GSR750.

The seat could be a bit better for long distances. I've had a gel pad put in and now its a little better, 2 - 2 1/2 hours before twitchy bum sets in. What I like about the set is its narrower at the front than the back. Going around the corners if you sit forward on the narrower part it feels better, then for comfort if you are on a straighter road move back a couple of centimetres to the wider more comfortable part.

Price wise is was expensive, but I got a load of extras at cost price, touring screen, alarm, datatag, heated grips and they took my XJR1300 in part-ex and it had 50,000 miles on the clock. I think trying to sell that privately might have been tricky. I see they are a grand cheaper this year.

You dont see too many around in the UK, but in France I noticed quite a few at Magny Cours WSB. They tend to go for the naked versions over there.

Must take one with the can on and loverly top box.

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 December 2011, 12:07:11 am »
Thanks for the write up Phil. The secondhand ones - loads of ex demos - are starting to look decent value now so I might be tempted in the future.

Tagsantite

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 December 2011, 02:26:30 pm »
Yes, good write-up.
I was beginning to think that I had bought a bit of a lemon!

Hodge

• Foc-U suck-up-to-admin and good taste in bikes Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 December 2011, 01:45:11 pm »
That's a good well rounded write-up Phil. Thanks for the honest critique.

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 December 2011, 11:53:14 am »
Really good review :)

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 February 2012, 01:58:05 pm »
Nice write up, Ive been toying with the idea of getting one for a cuple of weeks. Still cant make my mind up though....... :rolleyes

teapaz

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 February 2012, 02:28:56 pm »
Well they have just sold another one as I pick mine up on 1st March!!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 February 2012, 05:02:50 am »
Nice one, let us know how it goes :thumbup