Date: 16-04-24  Time: 06:16 am

Author Topic: 'New' Project, few issues... Now to start fixing them!  (Read 1232 times)

thunderpantz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
'New' Project, few issues... Now to start fixing them!
« on: 06 September 2013, 10:08:12 am »
Hi all recently bought a 2000 fazer 600. Absolutely brilliant bike, love it. A little 'ugly' at the moment (been dropped at some point so has a mis matched coloured headlight fairing), engine paint flaking, but that's all in hand. Engine runs sweet, gear box is smooth. My first bike and now my little project.

Now the issues:

One of the forks are leaking; I'm going to 'make' a Seal Mate to try and get any grit out, if that fails then it's time to replace the seals. How difficult is this?

The clutch cable is a little 'slack', i have a new one ready to go on.

The odometer isn't saving the trips or the time and resets when the keys removed. The main trip counter is fine which i'm assuming is eeprom based. Guessing the permanent live isn't working.

There is Gun Gum around the inlet seals (which would tell me the seals are cracked)  need to get these replaced

Also going to change the oil, filters and plugs just to keep him happy. Pics will follow soon enough.... it's just hammering it down at the moment :(

Anything else i should be looking out for... any one in the West Mids care to lend a hand  :lol
« Last Edit: 06 September 2013, 10:21:08 am by thunderpantz »

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
Re: 'New' Project, few issues... Now to start fixing them!
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2013, 10:26:47 am »
How hard the jobs are depend on your level of skill with a spanner but they're all manageable if you read up on the job first. There's a wealth of advice on here for everything, use the search function, download the workshop and haynes manual for your model and your good to go. Sorry i haven't given links, I can't remember how to do it on my phone.

I think and don't know for certain that cracked inlet rubbers aren't the end of the world as the cracks might not go all the way through, I'm sure someone can straighten this out though.

Welcome to the forum
thou shalt not kick

thunderpantz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2013, 10:45:47 am »
Cheers for the quick reply, just downloaded the service manual. Going to have a butchers :)

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2013, 10:51:33 am »
Hey,

there are lots of usefull links in this board, including fork seals and balancing carbs etc: http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/board,22.0.html

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2013, 03:16:51 pm »
The trip/clock reset is probably just down to the back-up fuse having gone. T'was the same with mine.

Not sure about the rest, only done an oil change on it so far, though you'll struggle to get a torque wrench on the oil drain nut. I just ended up doing it up b*stard tight  :D

Good luck with it all.

Simon

bbb

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2013, 09:24:07 pm »
Before replacing the clutch cable try re-setting it at the front sprocket (under the black rubber cap) may save lots of hassle re-routing the new one. There is plenty of info on it under the 'Hot Poop' link above.