Date: 26-04-24  Time: 16:32 pm

Author Topic: Coolant leaking from float bowl  (Read 1360 times)

ilzak

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Coolant leaking from float bowl
« on: 12 April 2020, 09:30:48 pm »
Hey lads,
this is something quiet weird i noticed today.
Went for a somewhat longer ride and after taking a break the entire right side of the engine was white.Had a closer look at it and saw that the right float bowl was dripping. I suppose it is coolant since it smells like it and has a greenish tint to it.Gas wouldn't leave a white film over the engine as well right?
Anyway, if I'm right and it is coolant, how the hell does it get into the float bowl?

bigsteve

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM850 FZS600SP
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant leaking from float bowl
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2020, 10:00:29 pm »
[size=78%] [/size]
[/size] sounds like one of the carb heater pipes is leaking I had similar problem turned out pipe had split [size=78%]

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2020, 07:04:46 am »

sounds like one of the carb heater pipes is leaking I had similar problem turned out pipe had split

:agree

Yep
« Last Edit: 13 April 2020, 11:42:12 am by Gnasher »
Later

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2020, 01:58:45 pm »
I have exactly the same problem at the moment. It is the carb heater circuit to help prevent carb icing in winter. If you dont ride in winter (cold damp conditions) then you can bypass the circuit. I have just (10 mins ago) ordered the pipe to bypass it. you will need 6mm internal diameter fuel/water hose to go from the thermostat under the tank to the radiator. Alternatively, you can pul the inlet and outlet pipes off teh carbs and join them with a brass coupler (4 or 6mm) and a couple of jubilee clips.
The alternative it to remove the carbs and replace the hoses under the carbs.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2020, 03:56:24 pm »
I have exactly the same problem at the moment. It is the carb heater circuit to help prevent carb icing in winter. If you dont ride in winter (cold damp conditions) then you can bypass the circuit. I have just (10 mins ago) ordered the pipe to bypass it. you will need 6mm internal diameter fuel/water hose to go from the thermostat under the tank to the radiator. Alternatively, you can pul the inlet and outlet pipes off teh carbs and join them with a brass coupler (4 or 6mm) and a couple of jubilee clips.

Which are the pipes that get clogged up then, i thought they were much smaller than that?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2020, 04:21:23 pm »

Which are the pipes that get clogged up then, i thought they were much smaller than that?
It is those pipes and the waterways in the carbs that get clogged
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2020, 06:39:49 pm »

Whe the system fails 9 out 10 it's not the pipes but the small elbows the pipes join to, they're made of steel and corrode internally if the coolant isn't kept to correct ratios.  You can't get them from Yamaha they come with the crab body and I fairly certain you can no longer buy a new carb body, too old now   :eek
Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2020, 01:22:03 pm »

Whe the system fails 9 out 10 it's not the pipes but the small elbows the pipes join to, they're made of steel and corrode internally if the coolant isn't kept to correct ratios.  You can't get them from Yamaha they come with the crab body and I fairly certain you can no longer buy a new carb body, too old now   :eek

Maybe that's what i had in mind, i was shown years ago and vaguely remember the elbow part, but i've never cleaned it myself before so wasn't sure.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2020, 04:49:13 pm »
i just blocked the inlet/outlet using rubber caps and clips and removed all the associated pipes

ilzak

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2020, 09:01:12 pm »
Thank you guys for you help. Just wanted to let you know that i fixed it like some of you already suggested.
I took the hose that goes from radiator->carb and just plugged it back into the radiator where the coolant would go back in.The other hose that goes go from carb->radiator now acts as a seal so nothing gets into the carb. So its just a useless hose that goes from carb inlet to carb outlet.
Works like a charm.