Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:15 am

Author Topic: Cheap Helmet Camera Recommendation  (Read 6108 times)

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Cheap Helmet Camera Recommendation
« on: 09 July 2013, 12:59:04 pm »
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a cheap helmet camera?

I'm on a budget and so limited to the cheap ebay stuff, rather than brands like Go Pro or Drift etc.

I only really want it for for insurance purposes and so don't need great quality, just sufficient.

My main requirements are:

- Can charge and run permentently from bike battery (USB, cigerette lighter etc - I don't mind getting cables etc separately)
- Can record while charging
- Waterproof, or waterproof casing (unless suitable to be installed inside helmet)

And my wish list nice to haves would be:

- Rolling recording, so it records say past 1 hour on rolling basis
- Starts recording automatically when powered on

Any recommendations, advise, suggestions welcome.

Thanks, Andy
« Last Edit: 09 July 2013, 01:00:37 pm by andybesy »

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap Helmet Camera Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2013, 01:25:24 pm »
Www.Roadhawk.Co.Uk

They have a product that does everything on your list. I've had one for about a year, and am about to buy a second so I don't have to switch it between vehicles. It's 150 notes though, so may be too pricey?

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2013, 01:52:55 pm »
have a look on fleabay for act20
720hd
£45
can set it to record on external power if needed.
picture quality is ok (look at the rear view on some of my later vids  ;) )
just bought another one to put in the car permanently for insurance purposes.
only downside i've found is it cuts the clips into 20 min sections and leaves about a second gap between them.
hope this helps

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2013, 02:04:57 pm »
have a look on fleabay for act20
720hd
£45
can set it to record on external power if needed.
picture quality is ok (look at the rear view on some of my later vids  ;) )
just bought another one to put in the car permanently for insurance purposes.
only downside i've found is it cuts the clips into 20 min sections and leaves about a second gap between them.
hope this helps

You can sometimes find these on the UK eBay site but I ended up getting mine from china, it's an act20 and a lot of guys on foc have them.  The only problem is the microphone is just windnoise.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-720P-Waterproof-Helmet-Action-Camera-Sport-Cam-Car-DVR-Digital-Video-Recorder-/251243324917
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2013, 02:12:38 pm »
Is this act20 still waterproof, when connected to an external power source? Does it start/stop recording, when the external power is applied / removed?

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2013, 02:23:44 pm »

Is this act20 still waterproof, when connected to an external power source? Does it start/stop recording, when the external power is applied / removed?
The one I have has a configuration setting for continuous record and record n power in a settings .ini file.  It isn't waterproof when connected to 12v as the power is supplied from a mini usb connection, although I'm sure some silicone sealant could resolve that.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2013, 02:25:41 pm by simonm »
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2013, 02:41:43 pm »
Ta Simon. Am considering one of these for in the car, where obviously it doesn't need to be waterproof, but the record on power is important (for me).

The roadhawk one (as above) I use on the bike is waterproof even on external power (the supplied leads include waterproof caps) which is where at least some of the extra money goes, but saving a chunk on the one for the car is v tempting...

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2013, 03:01:08 pm »
YouTube link

Will append pic of the rear in a sec

« Last Edit: 09 July 2013, 03:03:48 pm by simonm »

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 July 2013, 04:01:40 pm »
For that price you can find 1st edition gopro's on eBay.
Just sayin
Some say...

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 July 2013, 04:18:32 pm »
Just sayin

I wanted something discrete and hd when I bought mine.  I have to admit I never looked at go pro's cos I thought they'd be second hand and abused.  Your go pro wasn't discrete, it made me smile.  Did you get any decent footage ?

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 July 2013, 04:25:32 pm »
Do go pros run from a permanent supply, and be waterproof while doing it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 July 2013, 04:48:43 pm »
Do go pros run from a permanent supply, and be waterproof while doing it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

With a bit of bodging to the waterproof casing they can be made to but as the batteries run for about 2 hours and spares from china are about £15 for three of them there's little need!
Just sayin

I wanted something discrete and hd when I bought mine.  I have to admit I never looked at go pro's cos I thought they'd be second hand and abused.  Your go pro wasn't discrete, it made me smile.  Did you get any decent footage ?

I've not looked at the footage yet, and yes, the lack of discretion is the Bly downside to the gopro's!
Some say...

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 July 2013, 05:32:42 pm »

With a bit of bodging to the waterproof casing they can be made to but as the batteries run for about 2 hours and spares from china are about £15 for three of them there's little need!

Well, since the OP said it was one of his main requirements, there is a need!

I'm reading between his lines, but I suspect he wants to (as I do) leave the camera on the bike, in a fit and forget manner, until either a) he needs the evidence, or b) rides a nice bit of road that he actually wants to keep the film. As mentioned above, GoPros are not discrete, and would likely get nicked quicker than you can say "arse". While they are great cameras, they are not suited to what the OP wants.

The act20 looks as though it's a possible option though, just the waterproofing to get round, although that would likely mean you were never getting the card out again (at least not easily/ cleanly)

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 July 2013, 06:33:59 pm »
Not sure this will suit your needs but I have a Liquid Image Ego camera. For a tech junkie like me its amazing.
Hooks up to android and apple phones via wifi and can adjust many settings on the Liquid Image app. also allows you to copy the files to your phone over the wifi.

Quality is very good I feel. a friend has an older GoPro and footage take on the ego looks a little nicer to me
Found a few youtube vids that are worth watching
http://youtu.be/_Eb_YwY_PrA

http://youtu.be/GwSFyU0r_EM

on top of this I have just seen how cheap it has become..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Liquid-Image-Ego-727-Full-HD-Action-Sport-Camcorder-Blue-12MP-WiFi-1080p-/251278965649?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item3a8164bb91

Also has a host of addons such as a waterproof case and a chest strap.

Maybe not for everyone but I love it.. Can you tell  :lol
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 July 2013, 06:59:51 pm »
Liquid ego ?!  Sounds like some kinda pron lube  :lol

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 July 2013, 07:57:26 pm »
i have done a bit of a bodge job on the act20 i have on my bike.
gaffer tape and silicon sealant work wonders !
plus with the usb cable in you can still access the sd card (although not directly) if needed.

rayburn600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger Sport- V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 July 2013, 08:57:13 pm »
I have one of these. Paid £26.50 + 4.50 P/p
Water proof Only inside the van.
Connected via cig lighter permanent whilst ignition/aux on.
Easy removable micro sd.
Records over top of unless you press the save button.
For the money brilliant. And its proper HD.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271221047100?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
R

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 09 July 2013, 09:22:18 pm by simonm »

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 July 2013, 10:13:51 pm »

Well, since the OP said it was one of his main requirements, there is a need!

I'm reading between his lines, but I suspect he wants to (as I do) leave the camera on the bike, in a fit and forget manner, until either a) he needs the evidence, or b) rides a nice bit of road that he actually wants to keep the film. As mentioned above, GoPros are not discrete, and would likely get nicked quicker than you can say "arse". While they are great cameras, they are not suited to what the OP wants.

I was taking the title of 'Helmet camera' being just that and not reading between any lines!
Some say...

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 July 2013, 11:20:27 pm »
Thanks folks, loads of good suggestions here, just got home so knackered right now but will take a good look in morning and let you know how I get on.

notoriusb.e.n

• CBT Wobbler
  • 2003 Fazer Foxeye
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 July 2013, 08:45:37 am »
Dog cam is good kit. About £100 all in.

Just make sure you use more than one suction cup if you're going above *ahem*.

Theres a free one somewhere in the bushes along the side of the A38. Just delete my footage first k?

Davebo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 July 2013, 09:46:41 am »
First edition GoPros are awful. They chew batteries & can't be powered externally.

Just sayin

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 July 2013, 10:09:45 am »

Theres a free one somewhere in the bushes along the side of the A38. Just delete my footage first k?

Hehe very good.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 July 2013, 10:25:33 am »
Dog cam is good kit. About £100 all in.

Just make sure you use more than one suction cup if you're going above *ahem*.

Seems like the perfect excuse if you get caught rooting around in bush at the side of the road. :lol

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 July 2013, 07:01:14 am »
I hope the cheap ones work Ok as my drift 170 is temperamental and tbh I wouldnt recommend it to anyone ! Its switched itself off for no reason on occasion  and several times its taken a video file which subsequently cannot be opened, or is a pink screen ( drift website actually says it has no idea why it does this !!)...I think its pants tbh.
The record led comes on so I know its recording , but then only takes say 20 to  30 mins film then stops recording . Its not battery power as the standby light is still on.
Its  a problem with helmet mounted cams as you cant see the led to check recording is OK .
It has a remote stop start  too which is also pants as you cant tell if it has actually switched the record on ( no led).I think its best suited to dash or handlebar location...neither of which really suit my bike.
I now have to manually switch it to record and check the led to be sure its on, then put my helmet on.It still only takes 30 mins at a time though. So it means stopping at such intervals to do the rigmarole.
Its  a shame cos when it does work it takes a good picture.