Date: 26-04-24  Time: 15:59 pm

Author Topic: Quick Stoopid Oil Change Questions  (Read 3426 times)

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Quick Stoopid Oil Change Questions
« on: 07 June 2013, 09:55:57 pm »
Going to be doing my first oil change soon, couple of quick (and probably stoopid) questions:

1) I'm in the habit of using copper grease on any bolts I remove. Should I grease the sump plug before I put it back in, or do I risk contaminating the oil? If so, copper grease or lithium grease?

2) Which way to turn the sump plug to undo? I've heard people say its the other way than usual because it's upside down, but that's confused me. Don't want to thread it.

3) Will an old washing up bowl be big enough for draining the old oil? Otherwise I'll go asda get cat litter tray.

Sorry if these are dumb, just building up confidence to do these jobs myself (managed to do brake pads successfully but had em checked by professional to be safe, he said all good!).

Thanks in advance, Andy

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Stoopid Oil Change Questions
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2013, 10:12:14 pm »
I wouldn't put any grease on the sump drain plug.
Its on the side of the engine & is a normal right hand thread so undoes counterclockwise.
Large washing up bowl ideal-you may have to watch for rush of oil as you remove plug.
Check condition of sealing washer on drain plug-if well worn-replace washer.
Don't OVERTIGHTEN when putting back-use recommended torque setting to avoid stripping thread in engine casing.

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2013, 10:13:25 pm »
Going to be doing my first oil change soon, couple of quick (and probably stoopid) questions:

1) I'm in the habit of using copper grease on any bolts I remove. Should I grease the sump plug before I put it back in, or do I risk contaminating the oil? If so, copper grease or lithium grease?

2) Which way to turn the sump plug to undo? I've heard people say its the other way than usual because it's upside down, but that's confused me. Don't want to thread it.

3) Will an old washing up bowl be big enough for draining the old oil? Otherwise I'll go asda get cat litter tray.

Sorry if these are dumb, just building up confidence to do these jobs myself (managed to do brake pads successfully but had em checked by professional to be safe, he said all good!).

Thanks in advance, Andy

hey, first off they are not stupid questions...........better that than be a clever dick and balls it right up !
ok first off bowl should be fine, dont copper slip ( gets lubed with oil anyway to a certain degree and you dont want that one in particular to come loose !!! finally as you look at the bike, turn spanner counterclockwise ( to the left) to loosen. good luck mate.....take your time !!! ;) Ade
« Last Edit: 07 June 2013, 10:15:11 pm by ade the blade »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2013, 10:25:02 pm »
Sidestand is good for an oil change, but beware of wind if you're outside, it has a habit of gusting at inopportune moments!!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2013, 10:27:34 pm »
Thanks all, appreciated.

I'll admit I don't have a torque wrench yet, but was planning on doing it finger tight then just a little bit more with the spanner. I.E. Just nip it up. I should get away with that right?

I did buy a new washer to fit.

Andy

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2013, 10:28:24 pm »
Oh and sorry one last one...

When checking the oil level window, I should be looking at the level with the bike vertical on main stand right, rather than side stand?

Andy

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2013, 11:43:59 pm »
Yep, that's right, check it on the centre (main) stand :)

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2013, 11:51:22 pm »
I always tend to put a couple of turns of ptfe tape on my sump plug just in case.
Andy

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 June 2013, 11:55:52 pm »
Always check on the centre stand on level ground. :thumbup and it shoud be at the upper mark on the side of the sight glass.
No need to put it on the side stand just tip it over slightly on the centre stand to drain all the oil out. Less chance of knocking over the bowl and easier to get at the sump plug on the centre stand. Never had to use anything other than the sealing washer in 600000 miles of biking, but if PTFE tape make you feel better then use it.
If you do not have a torque wrench, note the location of the spanner when you put it on the bolt to open it and tighten it back to around the same position (Use a ring spanner). Frame is in the way and makes it awkward to use normal sockets.
Follow what Ade the blade says and don't go washing the cups and saucers in the bowl aftwards  :rollin
Just for a little information, the oil light is an oil level light not an oil pressure light, and if it comes on the level is low and dont' be to supprised it it takes about 200 to 300cc more oil than recommended.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 June 2013, 12:48:37 am »
Tip it over on the centre stand for a newbie???
C'mon now, that's a wrong'un!!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 June 2013, 09:21:09 am »
So your telling me that with the bike on the centre stand a newbie cannot stand on the left side of the bike, grab the left handlebar and rear grab rail and pull it over slightly towards himself/herself balanced on the left side of the centre stand. :eek :eek :eek
I have seen many newbies do it without thinking when putting their bikes on the centre stand for fear it will fall over to the right. The reason I know this. is because I asked a few when I saw them doing it as a ride out.
When my kids were 12 they could do it without any assistance from me.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 June 2013, 09:47:47 am »
Drain it on the centre stand, loosely screw the bolt back in, put bike on side stand, remove bolt and leave it a few minutes.
For the sight glass the upper mark is the max oil mark, NOT the top of the window itself!
And remember- righty tighty, lefty loosey!  :lol
Some say...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 June 2013, 11:33:34 am »
So your telling me that with the bike on the centre stand a newbie cannot stand on the left side of the bike, grab the left handlebar and rear grab rail and pull it over slightly towards himself/herself balanced on the left side of the centre stand. :eek :eek :eek
I have seen many newbies do it without thinking when putting their bikes on the centre stand for fear it will fall over to the right. The reason I know this. is because I asked a few when I saw them doing it as a ride out.
When my kids were 12 they could do it without any assistance from me.

Why on this earth would you want to do that?
Firstly it's just plain dangerous and inviting an accident, and secondly you can't see properly what is going on with the oil without contorting your body even further.
And one slight pull too much to the left and you've got a whole bike on your legs if the stand pops up, not to mention the chance of the centre stand possibly crumbling on you, if it's rusty or weakened, due to extra weight load at an unusual angle, as has been mentioned in another recent post..
If that's the way you want to do things then that's your choice, but i certainly wouldn't teach a learner to do that at all.

I'd say Punkstig's advice is probably an ideal way to start off if you've not done it before, just because of easier access to the sump bolt.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2013, 11:49:20 am by darrsi »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 June 2013, 12:04:10 pm »
Not sure I would want to lean the bike on its centre stand mostly as I'd be half expecting it to snap back and the bike to fall on me :|

I usually put the plug back in, take it off the centre stand, then lean it - I don't put the side stand down as I find the bike doesn't always go quite far enough over to where I want. But its easy enough to prop it back up and put the side stand down if necessary

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 June 2013, 01:32:06 pm »
Always check on the centre stand on level ground. :thumbup and it shoud be at the upper mark on the side of the sight glass.
No need to put it on the side stand just tip it over slightly on the centre stand to drain all the oil out. Less chance of knocking over the bowl and easier to get at the sump plug on the centre stand. Never had to use anything other than the sealing washer in 600000 miles of biking, but if PTFE tape make you feel better then use it.
If you do not have a torque wrench, note the location of the spanner when you put it on the bolt to open it and tighten it back to around the same position (Use a ring spanner). Frame is in the way and makes it awkward to use normal sockets.
Follow what Ade the blade says and don't go washing the cups and saucers in the bowl aftwards  :rollin
Just for a little information, the oil light is an oil level light not an oil pressure light, and if it comes on the level is low and dont' be to supprised it it takes about 200 to 300cc more oil than recommended.

damn, thats why i always have the shits the next day then !.....note to self....wipe out oil remnants first then add fairy liquid :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 June 2013, 08:39:12 pm »
Oil change done, all went smoothly and bike feels good. Thanks once again for your help everyone.

Andy