Date: 23-04-24  Time: 23:45 pm

Author Topic: MOT Timing  (Read 4018 times)

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
MOT Timing
« on: 24 March 2014, 11:12:02 am »
Hello Folks,

What's the earliest I can book an MOT?

People say one month but I've been looking at my MOT certificate and it says a month "to preserve the existing renewal date".

So can I book an MOT earlier than a month if I don't care about loosing a month or two on my MOT and having to go earlier next year? Or can't it be done sooner?

It's just that I want to remain flexible holiday wise and don't want an MOT due mid camping trip.

Thanks, Andy

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: MOT Timing
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2014, 11:26:52 am »
You can have the mot at any time -
if your mot runs out on the 20th of april next month you can get it dond today and your new mot will end on the 20th of april 2015 so you will now hav 13 months mot in efect- take your old one with you though to keep the date
Or you can have it done today and have the end date this day next year - you dont have to keep your origional date
« Last Edit: 24 March 2014, 11:28:11 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2014, 11:29:26 am »
So can I book an MOT earlier than a month if I don't care about loosing a month or two on my MOT and having to go earlier next year?
Yep thats it

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2014, 11:32:25 am »
OK cool, thanks guys.

Andy

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2014, 11:34:48 am »
IIRC the rules around unexpired MOT's has changed a bit now that its all computerised.

If your MOT is due to run out on the 23rd April, you can take it in today and the new one (if it passes) will be valid till 23rd April 2015 as previously stated. However, if it fails, it has no MOT rather than a month left as the system only takes into account the latest test.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2014, 11:50:26 am »
Oh thats a bit crap because the reason I take it in 3 weeks or so early is to give me time to fix it ready for the real date expires.
And I dont pre book as I just turn up when it isnt raining, so now if it fails 4 weeks before not only have I lost a months mot but I will be forced to book in the new one as law states I can ride without an mot to a mot station so long as it is pre booked.
Also I cant see that it could be so because in that case if it failed then have I got to leave the bike there and walk home 

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2014, 11:54:15 am »
If it fails, you can still ride home.

I am not 100% sure about the expiry thing. My personal view is that you have a piece of paper in your hand with the later expiry date on it so it's only if plod give you a tug because "Computer says No" that you would have a potential problem. I say potential, as you can show them the previous MOT with the exiry date 3-4 weeks into the future. Add to that the fact that you rarely ever see plod on the road, you will be fine.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2014, 12:04:06 pm »
Yes but if it is a computerised and on the ride home a police ANPR will not stop you for you to show it the paper, -- you will just get a letter in the post.
I dont think it can right that if you take it in 3 weeks before expire and it fails then thats it, it canot possibly work that way, say I do it in my car, - failed with 3 weeks to go, that means I canot drive untill I can book in to get it fixed which could be 2 weeks, so thats two weeks without transport, it can not be that way as it is un workable   

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2014, 12:24:53 pm »
Yes but if it is a computerised and on the ride home a police ANPR will not stop you for you to show it the paper, -- you will just get a letter in the post.
I dont think it can right that if you take it in 3 weeks before expire and it fails then thats it, it canot possibly work that way, say I do it in my car, - failed with 3 weeks to go, that means I canot drive untill I can book in to get it fixed which could be 2 weeks, so thats two weeks without transport, it can not be that way as it is un workable

That's why most garages offer pre-mot checks (in some cases free), basically it's an mot without the pass or fail at the end. This way, if it needs work you can still drive/ride it about.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2014, 01:21:37 pm »
That's why most garages offer pre-mot checks (in some cases free), basically it's an mot without the pass or fail at the end. This way, if it needs work you can still drive/ride it about.

Never seen that

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 March 2014, 01:32:13 pm »
It might just be local to me then, but a lot of garages I know do pre-mot checks, sometimes for free for cars up to a certain age.

Example:
http://www.motparagoncoventry.co.uk/

« Last Edit: 24 March 2014, 01:34:56 pm by mr self destruct »
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 March 2014, 03:01:01 pm »
This might explain why I had a "pre-mot" last year

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 March 2014, 07:21:22 pm »
If your vehicle fails you are knowingly driving it on the road with defects which is why plod could do you, if my company fail a car we try to repair it in the next 2 days (not always possible), VOSA told us not to do pre MOTs as this does not give them a true measure of the types of defects vehicles have (as the defects have been repaired before the test and are not recorded on the system).
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 March 2014, 01:15:11 am »
At the end  of the day an MoT is not a guarantee of a vehicles safety.  The idea of allowing test to be carried out a month in advance is to stop excuses for driving without valid certificate. I was going to write a long answer but then chose to google and found this which sums up and (as much as t'web can be trusted) confirms my belief rather well.

OK Here is now THE DEFINITIVE ANSWER! I just spoke to VOSA on 0300 123 9000 and here is what he said.

"An MOT certificate is valid until the date of expiry. A new test will not invalidate the current MOT certificate. However, the "Fail" test result will show on the DVLA data base along with the "Pass" test result (ie any search on the DVLA data base will show both a pass and a fail result)."

He also raised the following important point!

"The police can access the data base and if while following your car an officer checks the MOT status, he would see a "Fail" and would be likely to pull you over to see if the repairs have been done or if the car is not roadworthy. You might then be prosecuted"

So here is my answer :-

YES! The first MOT test certificate IS still valid so you can still legally use the car on the road, insure it, tax it etc.

BUT! The "Fail" will be recorded on the data base and you seriously risk prosecution if you continue to drive a car with a fault which renders it not roadworthy.

I know others have eluded to the same advice but mixed with the "opinions" it is difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff.Source:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/ and phone call to 0300 123 9000[/font]
[/size]
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 March 2014, 10:11:33 am »
Ok got it ---- so the cat in the box is both dead and alive at the same time.

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 March 2014, 10:33:04 am »
Blimey, a Schrodinger reference on a bike forum!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 March 2014, 10:49:00 am »
a Schrodinger

Thought that was a helmet

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 March 2014, 10:53:55 am »
Crashed mine on way back from mot last year.

It has an mot certificate...is what i "believe" to be mot worthy ie im not knowingly riding around on a death trap...& fingers crossed it will pass again this year.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike