Date: 24-04-24  Time: 19:48 pm

Author Topic: Front sprocket nut  (Read 5924 times)

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Front sprocket nut
« on: 03 July 2015, 07:56:34 pm »
I haven't upgraded my nut to the 12 mm yet as I need to collect it from my yam dealer, I took the cover off today to inspect it as I'm planning on a long ride tomorrow and noticed there was some play in the nut, I've linked a video of it.
Is this normal or is it best to change the nut right away and not ride it??
http://youtu.be/ahLm73xjN-o

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Front sprocket nut
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2015, 08:36:14 pm »
Better not ride that!

The nut must not move. At all.The only thing that stops currently the disaster is your washer it has grooves on the inner that fit the drive.

The good news is untightening of the nut will be easy - you just need to flaten the washer and can do that with hand.
« Last Edit: 03 July 2015, 08:37:57 pm by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2015, 08:49:50 pm »
Crikey! Yeah that looks well dodgy. Normally those nuts are nigh on impossible to get off without a long bar and a lot of pie eating. It shouldn't be like that. When you replace it get a new washer as well (does the new nut come with one? )

Very clean in there though. Normally half the world's Brent Crude can be found lurking behind that sprocket cover.
__
There's no replacement for displacement

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 July 2015, 09:12:22 pm »
The new sprocket nut should come with a washer.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 July 2015, 09:15:16 pm »
No, don't ride it, wait until you get the new one sorted.

Well done showing the video though, as it explains what can happen with the old 9mm nut.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2015, 09:15:38 pm »
I clean and inspect after or before every 3 or so rides as I don't use it as an everyday bike so I like I keep it clean (that's actually dirty at the moment).
I thought it shouldn't move but thought I'd check. Right off to the dealer to pick up the new nut and washer tomorrow then.
Thanks guys

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2015, 09:24:57 pm »
Glad you asked rather than rode to pick up the new one :eek:
__
There's no replacement for displacement

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2015, 09:55:11 pm »
If it's on your phone, show them the video, they might give you it for free as it's a known problem.
Don't ask, you don't get.

Mention SERVICE NOTE 2005-12A if you go to a Yamaha dealer.

Just make sure they give you the new 12mm version, and not another 9mm one, which has happened before.

er.
« Last Edit: 03 July 2015, 09:58:40 pm by darrsi »

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2015, 10:06:59 pm »
If it's on your phone, show them the video, they might give you it for free as it's a known problem.

Just make sure they give you the new 12mm version, and not another 9mm one, which has happened before.

er.

Thanks but I ordered the new one from them couple of weeks ago, using the part number on here and they confirmed it was the upgraded one and from Yamaha it was only £2.80 so I don't mind paying for that. Thanks

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2015, 10:20:47 pm »

er.

Thanks but I ordered the new one from them couple of weeks ago, using the part number on here and they confirmed it was the upgraded one and from Yamaha it was only £2.80 so I don't mind paying for that. Thanks

Oh okay, no worries.

New official torque setting is 90Nm, compared to the old nut which was 70Nm.
Me and a few others don't trust that due to thread issues, which you've just shown an example of, so we opted for a Loctited 80Nm, but obviously the choice is yours.

maxzer1500

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2015, 10:46:29 pm »
From this angle i can't see spare thread, just beveled end. Are you sure it's not a 12mm nut?

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 July 2015, 10:51:28 pm »
From this angle i can't see spare thread, just beveled end. Are you sure it's not a 12mm nut?
It's the original 9mm nut, there is about 3 or so rings of thread there. I'll do another video tomorrow of me changing it as it may help someone else in future and I'll measure it and show thread in that.

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 July 2015, 10:53:36 pm »

Oh okay, no worries.

New official torque setting is 90Nm, compared to the old nut which was 70Nm.
Me and a few others don't trust that due to thread issues, which you've just shown an example of, so we opted for a Loctited 80Nm, but obviously the choice is yours.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, it was gonna be my next question. I will go for the 80 and loctite

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 July 2015, 01:33:56 am »
I clean and inspect after or before every 3 or so rides as I don't use it as an everyday bike so I like I keep it clean (that's actually dirty at the moment).
I thought it shouldn't move but thought I'd check. Right off to the dealer to pick up the new nut and washer tomorrow then.
Thanks guys

Just make sure they give you 90179-18006 nut. There has been a cases when Yamaha has sold the old 8mm nut.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141276105948?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 July 2015, 05:55:13 am »
Thanks guys

Just make sure they give you 90179-18006 nut. There has been a cases when Yamaha has sold the old 8mm nut.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141276105948?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

9mm

It's the little details like that where Yamaha focced up as well.  :lol
« Last Edit: 04 July 2015, 05:57:49 am by darrsi »

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 July 2015, 10:29:18 am »
All sorted now and have done a little video showing what I did that I'll hopefully have on YouTube this week, I hope I did it all correctly and that the video will help give owners who aren't mechanically minded the confidence to check and replace the nut themselves. Only thing is does anyone know what size Allen key bit is used for the sprocket cover? Can't seem to remember and am away from the bike at the moment .

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 July 2015, 03:28:07 pm »
I think it's 5mm

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Blackbird XX-W, XS1100E
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 July 2015, 03:58:32 pm »
for the record, the tension on the chain will keep the sprocket on the spline unless the wheel is badly misaligned, over use can cause play to be introduced in the spline and for the threads to wear. The tab washer should hold the nut in place if used properly. I had a TDM 850 where the nut had completely come off and never had an issue. I didn't know it had but it had been off for ages. The end result was no damage amazingly. Not to be recommended but it's not as scary as it's made out to be.

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 July 2015, 09:08:25 pm »
ive just made a new youtube channel that I will be putting videos on of stuff im doing to the bike like this sprocket nut.  I have credited the forum in the description as nearly all my knowledge on my fazer has come from here.  I may have missed a few bits out of the video but its all worked good for me and the new nut is still safe in place after 500 miles :D

Heres the video:  https://youtu.be/QrC0P-VtOmE

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 July 2015, 09:30:10 pm »
ive just made a new youtube channel that I will be putting videos on of stuff im doing to the bike like this sprocket nut.  I have credited the forum in the description as nearly all my knowledge on my fazer has come from here.  I may have missed a few bits out of the video but its all worked good for me and the new nut is still safe in place after 500 miles :D

Heres the video:  https://youtu.be/QrC0P-VtOmE

Yeah, nice work with the video.  :thumbup