Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:34 pm

Author Topic: Sprocket advice  (Read 2154 times)

Sam13

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Sprocket advice
« on: 09 October 2016, 08:57:04 am »
Hi all.

Have any of you changed front and rear sprockets to +/- number of teeth.

I'm interested to know how acceleration vs top end is affected.

I'm not overly concerned with top end speed as you can't really make good use of it on the road (legally) but would make use of better acceleration.

Does it make that much difference ? Any figures to back up?
Best combinations ?

Thanks in advance

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Sprocket advice
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2016, 12:25:51 pm »
There are a few in depth discussions abut that on here with loads of good info, have a good poke around in the search tool.

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2016, 01:22:19 pm »
Iv only ever replaced front sprockets +/- 1 tooth.. Found that adjustment enough of a change for the gearing needed. Also if the chain is decent I can usually re-use it without replacing or faffing  :) .. Fazer 600 standard gearing isnt far off for me if Im honest tho
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

bikemad

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2016, 03:26:33 pm »
Some bikes benefit an extra tooth on the front for lower revs cruising I think they are quick enough OEM or buy the FZS 1000cc you'll know when exup valve opens G force grin all the way up the box & rev range 😆
Stuff everything I've always got my bike :)

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2016, 04:46:15 pm »
i`m 1 down on the front and it`s good in trafffic and leaps foward when you twist ya wrist also helps drive out of corners when ur on a mission  :)
waters wet, shit stinks !

Sam13

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2016, 05:41:31 pm »
Thanks chaps

So if my thinking is correct if I take it 1 down on the front and 1 up on the back  I won't need to alter the chain length ?

Cheers

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2016, 08:44:26 am »
See where you at with chain length just changing the front sprocket first. 1 tooth on the rear is neither here nor there really in terms of gearing
« Last Edit: 10 October 2016, 08:45:12 am by misterjayb1 »
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2016, 10:25:04 pm »
But going  one smaller on the front and one larger on the back will basically increase your fuel consumption for no noticeable general performance change - rather than change the sprockets just never use 6th gear and keep using one gear lower than normal everywhere else - that way, you keep the revs higher and get the better throttle response you want, without messing around with sprockets.

Call me an old fart and a pedant if you will, but putting smaller sprockets on the front of any bigger big is a complete waste of time and money.

When I raced production bikes years ago, swapping sprockets was essential at some circuits to get the best gear for key corners, or to squeeze a couple of extra mph down a straight, but for road riding, if you think a bike needs to be revving higher at any given road speed, the issue isn't the hearing, it's in the riders head - you just need to rev it higher and hold onto the lower gears longer - it's a mind-set.

When racing, I wasn't happy unless I was screwing the nuts off my bike all the time - nowadays, on the roads, I have an element of mechanical sympathy and a desire for engine longevity that mean I try to optimise the gear I'm in for the road conditions I experience and my desire for fuel economy.

bootz76

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 October 2016, 02:54:29 am »
Dunno about Yamaha but cbr600 always needed a tooth less on the front am gonna drop a tooth on the front for next years TT

bootz76

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 October 2016, 02:55:42 am »
Might drop all of em if front sprocket comes off😱

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 October 2016, 11:38:26 pm »
But Bootz, if you're going for a 130mph lap, the last thing you need is to reduce the top speed of your CBR !

justanothernoob

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2016, 09:48:50 am »

I've gone 1 down on the front and 4 up on the back.

Don't listen to anyone who says you won't notice much difference: it pulls away like a rocket. I'm all about acceleration and I love the combination.

But yes, it does reduce your top speed. But here in New Zealand, fastest we're legally allowed to go is 100 kph / 60 mph so I'm still nowhere near hitting the limit with this combination.

A couple of things to bear in mind:

1/ 1 tooth down on the front is equivalent to 3 teeth up on the rear
2/ personally I've always followed the rule that you change front cog, rear cog and chain at the same time otherwise you expedite the wear
3/ if you go more than 1 down on the front then you run the risk of increasing the cog and chain wear as the angle of attach becomes quite fierce
4/ if you go much bigger than my 52 tooth cog on the rear you might start to have problems keeping the front down (especially if you do the 1/4 turn throttle mod ... which is next on my list)
5/ while my combination may be less economical than the stock, it still spanks my V8 Audi S4 for mileage!
6/ chicks riding pillion really "appreciate" the higher revs   ;)

Check out http://www.gearingcommander.com/ for a cool tool that calculates speeds / revs / gears etc., ... depending on you bike and the mods you want to make.

Good luck - let us know what you finally decide and what you think of it.