Date: 18-04-24  Time: 02:42 am

Author Topic: Advice for first big touring trip?  (Read 3069 times)

Jbizzle

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Advice for first big touring trip?
« on: 19 August 2016, 08:25:40 am »
Hi all,

I will be heading off to Scotland from London on my 2003 FZS600 over the Aug bank holiday weekend. Is there any bits of advice that will make this more comfortable/safe?

I have decent safety gear and go out fairly prepared with tool kit, inc. fuel hose for siphoning if I run out, mobile charger hooked up. I will also have a good look round the bike, check tires and their pressures, chain clean and lube.  Apart from an end can, renthals and top box the bike is pretty much standard.

What are the prevailing thoughts on tire plugs?

Anything I am missing?

Cheers,

James

A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's: She changes it more often.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for first big touring trip?
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2016, 09:58:52 am »

This is a good article on tire plugs-

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/tire-repair-plugs-should-you-use-plugs-on-motorcycle-tires

Don't worry too much, Scotland's not the back of beyond, it only feels like it sometimes ( in a good way!) :lol Plenty of national and local garage support available. I think you've got a good grip on things fella, If you're heading up the M1 all the way to Scotch Corner a pair of earplugs is my essential on long motorway journeys. Take it easy James, plenty of coffee stops and have fun!
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Albert Herring

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2016, 10:58:22 am »
Seconded on ear plugs for extended motorway/dual carriageway bashes; they're worth about 10 mph. As far as covering miles goes, I find that quite frequent stops (fag-break length every hour or so, actual smoking optional and not recommended), make quite a difference to the length of time I can sit on the bike for. Stop and look at stuff and don't obsess about distance, though - you'll get somewhere. And get off the motorways for a bit on the way up and down where there are reasonable alternative routes, as you're doing it for fun (e.g. if you are hacking up the M1>A1, consider talking the A68 north from Darlington over Carter Bar, or if you're going up the top of the M6 you can use the old A6 from north of Preston. It's a bit slower and you'll get stuck behind the odd tractor and maybe have to do a little bit of map reading, but so be it. And if a side road looks fun or you spot something interesting to stop and see, go (back if necessary) and have a look rather than thinking "next time", because next time might be a while and you might have other things to do then.

Also, Avon Skin So Soft (available from every small shop in the Highlands) repels the midges (so yes, you'll need something to clean your visor with too...) and keep a small towel in your tank bag for the wet times, as it's a bank holiday weekend. If you're in the far north-west, keep your tank full on a Sunday when you get a chance because places may well be shut or only have very limited hours (I had no trouble going round the top on a CBR6 with a 130 mile tank range and no gauge, though).

Jbizzle

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2016, 01:30:37 pm »
Thanks guys much appreciated!

Earplugs acquired, towel packed and route planned.

This is going to be awesome!  :D

Cheers,

James

Carter

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - DT200WR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2016, 08:47:54 pm »
If you're out in the wilds, some bog roll or a pack of tissues may be worth their weight in gold ;)
Always good to eat and drink plenty too, it's easy to forget if you're out enjoying yourself.
Have fun
Rust never sleeps !

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2016, 09:30:05 pm »
I'd second the bog roll/tissues point - a lifesaver when you're out on rural lanes! My own essential bit of touring kit is my RAC card, then I don't have to worry about breakdowns any bigger than a pretty basic toolkit can deal with.

I also take Shok Blocks with me - we mainly use them on long cycling days - they're basically energy pick-me-up sweets that I pick up from cycling shops. They're just like jellies, they taste good and certainly give a bit of a boost towards the end of an unexpectedly long day. When touring, these days crop up every now and then when traffic/detours or just getting carried away and staying longer at places we visit, happen.

I'd also now never start a day of riding on a tour without having a hotel room sorted/booked at my destination. Years ago, I never bothered, thinking I'd just stop somewhere at a hotel/B&B along the route. After finding out these invariably cost a lot more than pre-booking and spending more than a few days riding on past midnight to find a place willing to take us, I just don't do that any more.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2016, 09:59:42 pm »
Check oil and coolant levels as well as the tyre pressures. Puncture repair kit would be more use full then a siphoning pipe.

With a 22 litre tank and a range of over 200 miles you would want to be really bad to run out in Scotland  :eek

bootz76

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2016, 12:31:30 am »
Check your change!!! 😝😝😝 I'm a jock but seriously if the bike is good then just pre ride checks, a puncture repair kit and mini compressor is a must mine fits under the seat, as a courier I have to recommend the crafty plugger kit used it so often never fails.

bootz76

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2016, 12:33:47 am »
Oh I forgot! Those vacuum bags u can buy for storing bedding are great, shrink your luggage/clothes but also waterproof I use them every TT

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2016, 07:56:41 am »
hi james
get yourself some "babywipes"  they are great for almost anything  from cleaning your visor to wiping your arse  :lol   also take a bag of wine gums (incase you get tired/knackered they give you a good wake-up  sugar rush!! )

take a break every 100miles stop ur arse getting numb plenty coffee etc plenty of photographs
stay alert and ENJOY

personally i hate motorways so i`d look at a map and find a b-road route with the odd TWISTY bits lots of countryside and awesome views

have a good trip
waters wet, shit stinks !

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 August 2016, 09:13:58 am »
 :D
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 August 2016, 10:07:04 am »
I prefer one with draining board built in

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 August 2016, 03:00:26 pm »
Go on youtube and watch Ed March - C90 Adventures.
Get inspired as he posts a Honda C90 to Malaysia, flies over then rides it back to the UK, awesome to watch, more so if you like his sense of humour and constant taking the p* out of big bmw tourer bikes.

https://m.youtube.com/user/c90adventures
« Last Edit: 23 August 2016, 03:01:59 pm by Bretty »
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Jbizzle

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 August 2016, 03:19:24 pm »
Hi all,

Cheeky update if anyone was interested.

A bit of a nightmare on the way up, got about 30 miles north of London and the front brakes started to bind pretty bad. Pulled over at a halfords who were good enough to lend me some tools. 2hrs later and a lot of brake cleaner they are spotless and properly copper eased but still binding. Any ideas?

Anyway loss of time meant I had to head up the M1 to meet my friend on time in Leeds to crash at his place, in the pouring rain I might add. However seeing an old mate and a few beers cheered me up a load.

Yesterday in glorious sunshine I made my way to Glasgow through the Peak District and Lake District which made all the motorway miles completely worth it! Such amazing roads.

Also baby have been essential!

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 August 2016, 06:27:59 pm »
wish id ov had time i`d have come along for the ride ;-)

waters wet, shit stinks !

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 August 2016, 07:13:29 pm »
Hi all,

Cheeky update if anyone was interested.

A bit of a nightmare on the way up, got about 30 miles north of London and the front brakes started to bind pretty bad. Pulled over at a halfords who were good enough to lend me some tools. 2hrs later and a lot of brake cleaner they are spotless and properly copper eased but still binding. Any ideas?

Anyway loss of time meant I had to head up the M1 to meet my friend on time in Leeds to crash at his place, in the pouring rain I might add. However seeing an old mate and a few beers cheered me up a load.

Yesterday in glorious sunshine I made my way to Glasgow through the Peak District and Lake District which made all the motorway miles completely worth it! Such amazing roads.

Also baby have been essential!

Try and stick to one post with your questions otherwise it gets confusing.  :thumbup
I mentioned on your other post that the copper grease on the pistons could make the rubber seals swell, so a combination of the copper grease and extra heat could well have already damaged them causing the binding.  :\ 
« Last Edit: 28 August 2016, 07:16:38 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.