Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:08 pm

Author Topic: R6 rear shock on the FZS600  (Read 59460 times)

mac1984

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
Re: R6 rear shock on the FZS600
« Reply #75 on: 18 August 2014, 08:48:45 pm »
Indeed I do. I might take it all into work and do it there. Plenty of axle stands and ramps. Might look a little out of place though, in a workshop full of Aston Martin's  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 19 August 2014, 01:06:57 am »
Indeed I do. I might take it all into work and do it there. Plenty of axle stands and ramps. Might look a little out of place though, in a workshop full of Aston Martin's  :lol

Go for the Aston Martin shock......seriously.......we won't tell anyone  ;)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mac1984

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 19 August 2014, 07:41:48 am »
They are made by Bilstein and nice units, but unfortunately too large and not to mention pricey (even with discount) for me!  :'(

rhinoeli

• DAS Born Again
  • Hungarian Foccer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 06 January 2015, 08:20:41 pm »

Hello Fazer owners,

Can you please confirm that the shock from a 2007 R6 won't fit in the FZS600? This is the previously mentioned version with separate adjusters. I could have it for cheap from a friend so I am curious.

Photo attached.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 08 January 2015, 08:13:13 pm »
Hello and Welcome.
Originally the R6 shock mod was conceived for the Fazer 1000 & those 2C0 shocks definitely don't fit the larger Fazers.  To my knowledge, no-one has tried to fit one of these versions to the 600.  Personally, I think they *might* be persuaded to fit with a bit of alteration but there's really not much room in there.
The problem will be that the top compression reservoir is wider / longer than the correct 2008 onwards version of the shock.  You might even have to take the swingarm off to drop the shock down into position within the swingarm, then bolt everything at the back-end on again.  So, quite a lot of grief and after all that, it still might not fit.

rhinoeli

• DAS Born Again
  • Hungarian Foccer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 10 January 2015, 10:07:56 pm »
Thank you. I may try it and report any results.

rhinoeli

• DAS Born Again
  • Hungarian Foccer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 14 February 2015, 07:39:20 am »
Ok, so I went with the proper version of shock with the adjusters together. Managed to get one with 3600 kms on the clock from german ebay for only €70. Great price, huh?

Shocks swapped yesterday night. All is well except that I can't seem to find an affordable replacement spring here in Hungary. Hyperpro, Wilbers and Öhlins are available but with extreme prices. Faulkners' is £31 which would be ok, but postage is £39... :rollin

I am 85 kg without gear and often carry passenger and sidecases. At preload pos 5 rear sag is 13 mm higher than the original one with the same preload (both without gear etc). I am considering buying a 750 lbs/in (131 N/mm) spring. What do you think?

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Especially thanks kebab for the original post and DCurzon for the top-hat spacer idea and measurements. Exact fit.

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 08 June 2017, 09:07:16 pm »
Do anyone have the measurements on the sleeve used on the shock for the short spring?

graffig

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 11 June 2017, 02:07:58 am »
Hey folks - just purchased a 2000 plate 600 and was just reading up on this thread.

As a fat git at 17 stone, could anyone point me in the right direction as to what spring etc would be required for me to sort out this mod?

Also, I've seen the enclosed 2008 R6 shock for sale locally to me and just wanted to check that this is the correct version to instal.

Finally, wondering if Kebab19 was still supplying the modified dogbone kit etc

Thanks in advance for your time and any advice that can be given
2008 - 2010 R^ Rear Shock
2008 - 2010 R^ Rear Shock

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 12 June 2017, 06:37:10 pm »
Hello, yes - still call by the site occasionally.
That one pictured is the correct shock type.
You'd probably need either a 700lb spring or 725lb if you plan on taking a pillion.
Still have the conversion kits out in the garage somewhere

PM me if you buy it & want to proceed

J

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 13 June 2017, 02:24:13 pm »

Spacers done by my brother, waiting for dogbones and spring spacer. And the spring :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 30 September 2017, 10:21:20 am »

Cheers to Brooker for a good sale on one of his R6 shocks.
Also for getting some top hats fabricated.
Also cheers to Kebab as he has managed to find his original alloy preload spacer plus some suitable top bolts.So all i need now is some custom dog bones and i have a full fzs600 to R6 shock conversion kit.If anyone fancies buying the other shock we can probably figure something out with getting a copy of the spacer made up. 8)

Im not entirely sure how all the bits work but im sure itll make sense once i have them all together. Theres allot of info on this thread ill go through.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 30 September 2017, 07:06:29 pm »
I would be interested to know what weight springs folks plumped for and their fully togged riding weight and whether they carry extra weight in the form of a pillion or luggage.

I am as near as damn it 14 stone fully togged including helmet, boots, jacket, gloves etc (Maybe  5 or 6 lbs under now, I have been avoiding the Jaffa Cakes) and Nitron fitted a 600 lbs spring on their R1 shock they made for me.
(The Nitron R1 has no connection to Yamaha's R1, I think it just means 'Road 1')

I have to admit to being very pleased with the shock and I feel that Nitron got it right with the spring weight, mind you they have been doing it for years.

The rider Sag both back and front are on the sporty side of normal,
Rear Static Sag with the Nitron Mono-shock fitted
= 16 mm
Datum set on seat fairing at 450 mm Un-laden from underside of rear axle thread.
Static Sag measures 434 mm from Datum to underside of rear axle thread. =16 mm Static Sag 
Loaded Sag Rear=37 mm(Fully togged to ride) Finalised
Front Static Sag with YSS Emulator & Ohlins 8.5 N/mm SV650 Springs
= 25 mm
150 mm Fully extended forks between the underside of lower yoke and the top of the fork seal.
Loaded Sag Front = 41 mm (Fully togged to ride) Finalised

I don't often carry a pillion and when I do it is either the Mrs or my Daughter either of them weigh about of them 8 stones, the bike has never bottomed out with a pillion and both the Mrs and Daughter say it is a much better ride on the back since the shock was changed, all I know is the handling inspires confidence now and with the front fork work that I did with a lot of verbal help and encouragement from Kebab19 (Jeff) the bike is transformed, chicken strips reduced, but i have noticed that the front tyre has feathered quite badly (Both sides) but I think that is down to it being a Batlax 021F, I believe they have a reputation for feathering.
I have a Battlax T30 Evo awaiting fitting and will have it done in the Spring of 2018.

Just winterising the old girl now and she will not come out again until the end of March 2018.

AzzA1990

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 08 October 2017, 05:41:02 pm »
Evening all

I'v just picked up a near mint Fazer 1000 rear shock (1st gen i believe) at an absolute steel of a price I'v always wanted to do away with the standard 600 shock but i can not afford to do the R6 rear shock upgrade, £30 for the Fazer 1000 shock i paid it looks mint and apparently came off a bike with only 22k on the clock so i thought I'd be able to get my money back on it if i can't get it on, I'v been doing so much searching but i can't find a definitive answer about weather or not the Fazer 1000 rear shock will go on my 01 plate 600 ? can anyone give me some insight on what mods are involved to get this on my bike? i don't mind if it needs a little persuasion but i don't really want to have to file or grind out anything on the bike it's self to make this shock fit, i do have someone with a lathe that would make me up some spacers or bush type things if need be!

Many thanks for your time any info would go a long way! 
« Last Edit: 08 October 2017, 05:43:21 pm by AzzA1990 »

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 09 October 2017, 12:22:05 pm »
There was some info on the old Yuku site about this.
Yes, bit of a squueze but it'll fit, apparently.
You'll need to swap the heavier 600 spring onto your 1000 shock if keeping the standard linkage unit. You also need to do something with the coolant reservoir - don't remember whether it has to be relocated slightly.  You will also need revised length dogbones as the 1000 shock is about 5mm longer than the 600 unit

AzzA1990

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 09 October 2017, 12:40:58 pm »
There was some info on the old Yuku site about this.
Yes, bit of a squueze but it'll fit, apparently.
You'll need to swap the heavier 600 spring onto your 1000 shock if keeping the standard linkage unit. You also need to do something with the coolant reservoir - don't remember whether it has to be relocated slightly.  You will also need revised length dogbones as the 1000 shock is about 5mm longer than the 600 unit

Why do i have to change the springs over? was hoping i wouldn't have to do this as my 600 spring has gone all rusty and the powder coating has started to flake off which makes it look really tatty, at the minute i have dog bones on that give the rear end a 30mm rise but i wanted to switch back over to the standard dog bones when i fit the new 1000 shock, i'd a thought it could be done right? Thanks for the reply!
« Last Edit: 09 October 2017, 12:42:29 pm by AzzA1990 »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 09 October 2017, 02:17:35 pm »
R6 or 1000 Springs are way to soft for the 600.

600 spring is 14.7 Kgf/mm
1000 spring is 7.5 Kgf/mm

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 09 October 2017, 05:51:30 pm »
You *might* be able to get away with it if you also use the FZS1000's linkage instead of using the standard 600 linkage.  But will it fit?  Dont know, the few who have used the FZS1000 shock have all swapped the spring over ...and with buying a linkage and revised dogbones, it won't be such a bargain anymore either.

mobile mouse

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 09 October 2017, 10:04:00 pm »
If you stick with the 600 dogbones does it raise the back end up.
 If so by how much does anyone know...

Just found the post on the old Yuku site and it does not mention the need to replace the dogbones.
 Just had a read and other than swapping the springs over you need to do the following:

The spring collet retaining washer on the thou shock needs to be reduced in diameter also plastic spring seat reduced, "bench grinder" also the spring tension adjusting bracket will have to be ground away "angle grinder" on the side away from the gas can otherwise it will wear away the coolant overflow tank

I was going to replace the coolant with waterless coolant and then do away with the expansion/overflow tank.

So I will not need to do any of the above.

Unless the bits that need grinding foul on the swing arm I hope not.

found this also which also explains the mod
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=5396.0

With the addition of this minor adjustment. The shock top mounting lug on the frame needs a little grinding out on the underside because the shock fouls the bracket., (a millimeter or so) to get the bolt in. Then just touch up the frame with black enamel
« Last Edit: 09 October 2017, 10:26:14 pm by mobile mouse »

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 10 October 2017, 06:06:43 pm »
As you probably all know, I wouldn't discourage anyone from swapping shocks over  :lol

But there's a reason why a huge percentage of FZS1000 owners swapped their standard shocks out for R6 units - and that's because it's not that great (unless of course your existing 600 unit is completely and utterly b0rked).

Kefirchiks

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 24 October 2017, 01:31:57 pm »
Hello guys, ordered R6 (2011) 13S shock from fleabay.
Will fit it to 2003 Foxeye (600cc). I know that I need spacers for top (from 12mm to 10mm bolt) and dogbones. Anything else?
Would be much grateful, if you can provide me with links/contacts to where I can get these items.

Thank you  8)

daviee

« Reply #96 on: 24 October 2017, 01:59:43 pm »
I have the 1000 shock on mine and to fit you need to fit the 600 spring and also grind / file the top mount on the frame by about 1 mm to let the shock mount properly also you need to move the expansion tank behind its mounts to give clearance or the spring adjuster rubs it . As for performance I can't fault it it may not be as good as the r6 shock but is a easy fit and a decent upgrade since I have fitted it I have not noticed anything untoward with the back end so it must be doing it's job ok

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 17 July 2018, 09:34:09 pm »
Dunno if anyone is still considering this shock conversion anymore, but if so I have a small addendum.
As mentioned a year or two ago, I found that it is possible to fit one of the earlier 2006-07 R6 rear shocks to the FZS600.  This is the shock with two separate top adjusters (anodised gold and blue). 
The advantages are:
1 - It will not fit the Fazer FZS1000, meaning: 2 - It is usually unloved and unsold on ebay, not to mention generally cheaper.To fit it to the FZS600, the same conversion parts are needed as per detailed on this thread, but you also need to file a tiny amount off the top of the shock to get it to fit, as per picture below. This groove on top stops it from fouling the frame's crossmember above the shock.  There was no point in taking a picture of it in position as frankly you couldn't really see the interference between shock and frame.

« Last Edit: 21 July 2018, 08:56:18 am by kebab19 »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 30 July 2018, 07:13:25 pm »
Kebab just a thanks for giving me your last bits and pieces to do this

I’ve only just got it on the road so I think the conversion will need to wait until next year but I look forward to it and in the meantime if I come across anyone locally who can copy the bits I might get a few sets made up just so as to keep the conversion alive...well at least help.👍
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

kaobiore

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 13 November 2018, 09:42:54 pm »

Thanks for that great thread ...

As mentioned a year or two ago, I found that it is possible to fit one of the earlier 2006-07 R6 rear shocks to the FZS600.  This is the shock with two separate top adjusters (anodised gold and blue). 
The advantages are:
1 - It will not fit the Fazer FZS1000, meaning: 2 - It is usually unloved and unsold on ebay, not to mention generally cheaper.To fit it to the FZS600, the same conversion parts are needed as per detailed on this thread, but you also need to file a tiny amount off the top of the shock to get it to fit, as per picture below. This groove on top stops it from fouling the frame's crossmember above the shock.  There was no point in taking a picture of it in position as frankly you couldn't really see the interference between shock and frame.

The newer R6 shocks (starting with 2008) are really quite expensive and I'm considering now buying  a 2006 version. Please check attached picture:   :)
s l1600
s l1600

Does it kinda make sense to buy that thing including the linkage?
You have mentioned that something needs to be "filed down" from the 2006 shocks? Do you have a picture of that or where that "problematic zone" on the shock is?  :rolleyes

Thanks.  :smokin