Date: 16-04-24  Time: 21:37 pm

Author Topic: Removing the Carb De-Icing Hoses  (Read 1850 times)

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Removing the Carb De-Icing Hoses
« on: 25 November 2011, 08:40:06 pm »
Now that I've got rid of the AIS from my Gen1 I'd like to get clean up a bit more and get rid of the 2 hoses feeding the de-icing circuit between the carbs and the radiator. I don't ride the bike if the thermometer is going to read less than 10c so I can't see this being a problem. I was thinking about trying to source some caps for the spigots on the radiator and thermostat housing to blank them off but then thought that it might be easier just to run a pipe between the two so in effect the circuit remains (albeit a lot shorter) but the carbs are bypassed. What I didn't want to do was put any additional stress on the water pump and just thought I'd ask here for any comments.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Removing the Carb De-Icing Hoses
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2011, 09:47:14 pm »
Pat's Site:  http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/carbcoolantbypass.html

The oracle. :)

Read right to the end.  Ignore Pat's thing of capping off the spigots and follow the guide to re-using the existing hose to bridge the radiator/thermostat housing.  Mine's been like that for 6 years now. :)

Simples!

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2011, 10:05:46 pm »
Thanks Mike - The photo shows the pipe with an inline filter / valve, is this neccesary or would a straight hose do? Perhaps the spigots are different circumferences so the original pipe has been shortened with the filter / valve left in place.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2011, 10:45:52 pm »
i read something on the net a while a go and you can get carb icing at a temerature as high as 10 degrees as the air going into the carbs is usualy a lot lower in temp so be warned if you have problems

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2011, 07:36:25 am »
Thanks Mike - The photo shows the pipe with an inline filter / valve, is this neccesary or would a straight hose do?

I used the original hose because it fitted correctly and was free. :)  The inline valve isn't essential, though.