Date: 24-04-24  Time: 20:42 pm

Author Topic: Avon Storm 3D XM  (Read 5481 times)

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Avon Storm 3D XM
« on: 02 July 2013, 08:26:33 am »
I've always been a fan of Avon Storms but stopped using them when the 2-Ultras had an issue with the shoulders wearing too quickly so I switched to BT023s. I wasn't that happy with the way the Bridgestones handled from the start, my worn out Avons felt more responsive, but I got used to them after a few hundred miles.

Anyhow I had to replace both tyres last weekend and was looking at the new T30s from Bridgestone when I came across this review of the new Avon Storm 3Ds. The fact that they were testing them on a track using a Gen2 Fazer grabbed my attention as did the extra mileage claim which leads me to hope that the wear issue with the front should be resolved, and lastly I was just in time to catch the tail end of a £15 off each tyre offer, so a pair fitted to loose wheels for £190 made my mind up and I bit the bullet.

I am so glad I did, my bike is back to feeling the way it was when I really enjoyed riding it, even my wife said she could tell that the bike was handling a lot better than usual after a Sunday ride through the twisties (not a euphemism). Whilst the Bridgestones were always fairly neutral the bike simply felt happier at 90 degrees, with the Avons the bike feels much happier to change direction and stay where you want it, it even seems to be telling you there's more tyre to explore if you want to.

I'm happy to accept that generally any pair of fresh tyres are going to feel better than the worn ones they've replaced, but this isn't the night/day difference I've found, I'm also happy to accept that some folks will prefer the more 'planted' feeling of a slower steering tyre. But from my initial few rides I can heartily recommend the new Storms to anyone who likes a great handling quicker steering tyre that promises decent wear rates.

I'll post back when I wear through a rear, just checked and my last 2 rear 023s lasted 2800 miles each  :eek (front 6900) pretty sure I was getting about 1000 more from a rear on the old Storms.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
Re: Avon Storm 3D XM
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2013, 08:24:34 pm »
Nice one. Also a big fan of the storms - although I never had any wearing issues. Spotted the review too and was wondering of they're worth the extra cost over the 2's. Will be a while before I wear out my new OE's (BT021). Might swap them early because they aren't exactly confidence inspiring and I have to remind myself to be careful until they are warm - no such worries with the Avons.

Will check back for the follow up :thumbup
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2013, 09:15:16 pm »
Interesting write up. I used to be a big fan of Avons back in the mid 90's, I forgot which ones. They were rubbish in the wet but awesome on dry warm roads. I've used Bridgestone for the last 8 years and my only issue was slow steering, something I got used to within a few hundred miles. Longevity gets better with every new set. Not sure about the T30's so I think I'll get 023's again. I mainly commute with fairly fast motorway miles. Probably a bit scared to try something else.
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2013, 10:31:40 pm »
Intesting info PieEater. Thanks for posting.

Tyre choice is a weird thing. I think Bridgestone BT23s cannot be beaten for wet grip, handling and longevity, so it's always interesting to hear other people's comments on them. I've tried Pirellis and Metzelers, but none offered the same security in the wet. The BT023s do make Fazers a bit tippy in when worn though, but I'm amazed that you only got 2800 miles out of the rear - I get 5500 out of front and rear every time and I've had upwards of 15 sets on the old Fazer.

With the Fazer being so chuckable, I'm very heavy on the fronts though, so I wear them out at the same rate. Which is very handy - always get both tyres done at the same time.

Conversely, the Avon Storm Ultras on my other bike (ZZR1400) last 9000 miles, (yeah, with 195bhb too - amazing longevity), are very stable in a straight line and ok in the dry, but jeezuz, in the wet they are utterly lethal. No grip whatsoever. I'm going to try BT023s on that this weekend to see if it's simply the massive torque or the Avons really can't cope with that power in the wet.

I too have looked into Bridgestone T30s, but right now the price difference between the BT023s and the T30s means that they'd have to do a good 1500 extra miles to make them pay. I'm just waiting to hear what folks have to say about them. Anyone tried them?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2013, 10:50:06 pm »
I've tried Conti Road Attacks, OK if you're after cheap but not brilliant, BT021s a long time ago, were OK, but for wet weather riding my favourites have been Mich PR2s. I can ride in the wet on these almost the same as in the dry. Some of the mileages people on this site are achieving with their tyres are unbelievable, so it's reassuring ( :\ ) to see someone who gets similar to what I seem to achieve, well, less actually. Always good to hear about something I haven't tried, so will keep an eye out for your next on this. But the PR2s do seem to suit the way I ride so something else would have to be very good (not to mention good value...) to get me off of them. But for every person you find who says a particular tyre is great, you'll find someone else who will swear they're the worst he/she ever tried... :rolleyes

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2013, 10:40:19 am »
I can see that as I only tend to ride in the dry and mostly for fun my preferences in tyre choice will potentially be different to someone who uses their bike for regular commuting. Wet weather handling has never been an issue for me and I can understand that a slower steering tyre would potentially give more confidence in poor conditions.

Admittedly I have only tried Bridgestones and Avons on the Fazer, and as has been suggested you tend to find a tyre you like and stick with it. But I think Avon regularly have the £15 off a tyre offer so it would be worthwhile checking next time you need a set, as the £30 discount might be enough to persuade you to give them a go. Don't forget that the new Storm 3Ds are a totally different design to the old Storm 2 Ultras so hopefully any issues with irregular wear and wet weather grip have been addressed.

I ride a lot of twisty roads and my riding style is easy on the way in and hard on the way out which is probably why I get through rears so quickly, that and the fact that I'm 'big boned'. There are so many variables involved in tyre wear to make one persons mileage irrelevant to the next person, by the time I get to 2800 miles on the Storms I'll be in a position to report back on whether they are any better wearing than the 023s over the same conditions, which is the most relevant info. But assuming the wear rate is at least as good (or rather bad) as the Bridgestones I'll definitely be sticking with the Storms in the future, I'm just so much happier with the way the bike feels.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2013, 04:18:12 pm »
As you say - its different for everyone. I do ride in all weather and the reason why I use Avon's is because they behave so predictably in the wet and cold.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2013, 03:50:56 pm »
What kind of prices are people paying for their tyres. My tyre fitter has quoted £225 ride in ride out on a pair of 023's

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2014, 11:46:00 am »
So it's time to change my rear and as promised I can give you the mileage to compare against the Bridgestone 023 rear I had on previously .................. the Avon Storm has done as near as dammit 3000 miles (2987), 200 miles more than the BT023. So from my totally unscientific study you can expect to get around 9% more mileage from an Avon 3D-XM than you would from a Bridgestone 023. I will be replacing the rear with Another Storm as there is no way I could go back to the Bridgestones, even if they didn't last that bit longer I much prefer the way the Avons make the bike handle. I'm a bit skeptical as to whether I will see the usual 2:1 ratio between replacing front and rear as the front doesn't look like it will do another 3000 miles but time will tell, and I will update this thread when the result is in  :)

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2014, 11:23:32 am »
.... I think Bridgestone BT23s cannot be beaten for wet grip, handling and longevity, so it's always interesting to hear other people's comments on them....
Actually, I think they can. T30s are head and shoulders the most confidence inspiring tyre I have ever used in the wet and longevity is as good as or better then the BT023's I have been using for the last few years.

Handling on good dry roads? Top notch, but you would expect from any modern quality tyre. I don't have the skills required to take the tyre to its limits, so it would be silly for me to say it handles better then this brand or that. What I will say is that if I am thinking about the tyres while riding, it is because things have just got interesting, and I like the fact that the T30's are the most boring tyres I have ever had.