Date: 19-04-24  Time: 21:23 pm

Author Topic: 25mm Jack-Up Kit (Gen1)  (Read 3189 times)

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
25mm Jack-Up Kit (Gen1)
« on: 04 April 2016, 08:10:07 pm »
I've just replaced my 25mm Jack-Up kit with a 50mm one and would be happy to let a fellow Foccer have the old dog bones if they would be put to good use. I'd appreciate the cost of postage being covered but other than that I wouldn't want anything for them. Drop me a PM if interested. 

These are the ones - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Fazer-FZS-1000-Jack-Up-Kit-Fits-Upto-2005-Dog-Bone-Suspension-Linkages-/370319010605

The Jack-Up kit will firm up the rear shock and make the bike a lot nimbler through the bends so is a real bonus if you're still running with the OEM shock. The kit takes about 20 minutes to fit and there are no issues with either the side or centre stands.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2016, 07:35:34 am by PieEater »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Want a 25mm Jack-Up Kit (Gen1)
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2016, 12:08:27 am »
Done it wrong again, just bought and fitted my 25mm jack up kit. Doh.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2016, 07:39:13 am »
25mm Jack-Up kit will be on it's way to Tommy250_2 soon.

For those interested here is the 50mm kit I went for - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400462657345 - I've not had  chance to go for a proper ride with these fitted as yet but there is still no problem with the side stand although on the centre stand the back wheel is harder to turn as it's making more contact with the floor than the 25mm kit did.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2016, 08:08:44 am »
I struggle to touch the deck with standard set up.  My little legs would be swinging in the breeze with these
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2016, 08:40:11 am »
I struggle to touch the deck with standard set up.  My little legs would be swinging in the breeze with these
That's an interesting point, I'm not sure where they measure the increase in height from. Riders seat height doesn't seem to have been affected much going from 25mm to 50mm but the tail does look a bit higher.

Motopsycho87

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 April 2016, 10:58:46 pm »
Height is normally measured from the point directly above the spindle. Fitted a 50mm kit on mine and it really changed the bike for the better!

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: 25mm Jack-Up Kit (Gen1)
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2016, 08:27:41 am »
I just thought I'd do a quick write-up following my move from a 25mm to a 50mm Jack-up kit. It's made a bigger difference than I thought. from the start the bike felt more planted and seemed to give more feedback from the wheels when cornering which is a bonus however both the forks and shock feel much firmer to the point of being harsh and the bike now seems to have a tendency to understeer as I found myself running wider on some corners than normal. I'm going to have to have a play around to get things set up as I want them but I had to do this with the 25mm kit so it's all part of the fun.

UPDATE:
I've moved the forks down the yokes back to their stock position, I figured with the additional 25mm at the rear there's sufficient weight over the front now and wasn't sure if the extra rear height with the lowered front might have caused the understeer I noticed. I set the sag to ~35mm at both ends and then went off for a ride to tweak the suspension. Surprisingly I ended up softening the front up more that I thought I would, I had to slacken off the preload a touch even though the SAG was OK but also had to reduce the compression damping by about 5 clicks. I'm wandering if the 10w oil K-Tech recommended when I rebuilt the forks isn't a tad too heavy as although the ride is now much improved the front still feels a bit harsh. I tweaked the rear a little to get things how I like them and now the handlings pretty much spot on. I'd say it's a bit better than the 25mm kit and the forks through the yokes but not night & day. I have noticed a downside, I needed a new front tyre so when I came to take the wheel off, the rear wheel being lower means the front paddock stand lifts the bike off the centre stand leaving it balanced on the rear wheel.

« Last Edit: 07 April 2016, 02:13:06 pm by PieEater »

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: 25mm Jack-Up Kit (Gen1)
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2016, 02:54:49 pm »
Put a bit of 4 X 2 under the main stand, rear wheel will stay clear of floor.