Date: 29-03-24  Time: 10:19 am

Author Topic: Dead Battery or Something Else  (Read 1493 times)

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Dead Battery or Something Else
« on: 06 April 2015, 08:04:11 pm »
Didn't maintain the battery overwinter and it was totally dead when I first came to start it about 6 weeks ago, not enough to power up the idiot lights or anything, put it on charge and it's been fine until today. Came back from a ride stopped the bike, opened the garage came back to bike - Dead, no idiot lights no clicks, nothing. Checked fuses, everything fine, put battery on charge turned the key and all lights came back, left on charge for 2 hours came back, Oxford charger said battery was fully charged condition strong, disconnected the charger no idiot lights just rapid clicking.......

Yuasa battery is about 5 years old, time for a new one or anything I can check first?

« Last Edit: 06 April 2015, 08:05:54 pm by PieEater »

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Battery or Something Else
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2015, 11:29:25 pm »
I would say it's defiantly the battery. People seem to get different service life out of their batteries depending how they have been treated. One Yuasa battery may last 5 years but another might last 10. From the fact that when it initially died and you charged it enough to show a healthy charge which started the bike doesn't actually mean it was in a healthy condition. Some chargers are ambiguous at best. I generally trust how the battery performs over what my Optimate says.
The symptoms you speak of and the scenario you provided point straight to the battery for my money.
A few months ago I had issues with my car battery. I took it off and charged it. The battery itself has a green light displayed when it's in healthy condition and fully charged. I charged it overnight until the green light was displaying and put it back on the car. I then had the doors open for 10 minutes so the interior lights were on. After the 10 minutes the battery had totally discharged and wouldn't start the car. A healthy battery would last far longer than this. I fitted a new battery and the problem was solved with no issues since. Even if I leave her for a couple of weeks she will start without issue.
I feel certain that a new battery will solve the problem.
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2015, 05:56:00 pm »
Thanks, new battery ordered (MotoBatt).

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2015, 04:40:38 pm »
New battery installed, normal service resumed  8)

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2015, 07:12:57 pm »
 :thumbup Glad it's all sorted now.
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???