Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:07 am

Author Topic: Fazer Headlight Mod for mark 1 FZS600  (Read 85909 times)

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer Headlight Mod for mark 1 FZS600
« Reply #25 on: 10 March 2015, 10:30:06 am »
Hi,

I am planning to do this mod this week... Struggling to find any h4 headlight connectors with the third wire in place online, any ideas where I can get one? Otherwise, would a standard h4 connector come ready for spade connectors and is there a standard of wire I should use?

Thanks

HJF

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 March 2015, 02:21:58 pm »
Just to say, that's another Fazer nodded. Thanks for the great walk though

Yasack

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 August 2015, 10:07:14 pm »
Hi all,

Just been reading through this old thread and wondered if anyone has tried this on a 2009 Fazer 600?  I would like to be able to do it, but electrics is not my thing.  If anyone could advice it would be much appreciated, alternatively could you not just put a wire fron the left lamp to the right lamp or does that not work?

Hoping for a reply,

Richard
« Last Edit: 10 August 2015, 09:10:46 pm by Yasack »

IamEEKY

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 August 2015, 11:41:16 am »
done this the other day, brought the H4 Connector at my local halfords, what an amazing difference it makes  :D

Thanks for the easy walk through  :)

Tom

Adscan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - BWS125
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 September 2015, 04:59:10 pm »
I am going to attempt this mod and just collecting the parts needed. I cannot find 8mm female connectors listed anywhere. Nearest I can find is 6.4mm. Is this correct? I suppose I should measure an H4 bulb and see.

Flying_haggis

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 23 November 2015, 10:50:00 pm »
Great how to guide. Done mod over the weekend, looks much better with two headlights on and more importantly makes the bike a bit more visible.
Thanks FH

nico

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Camera Hire
« Reply #31 on: 16 June 2016, 02:01:17 pm »
Hi all,

Going to try this mod. I've also added one xenon hid kit to my main light side and will possibly add a second one to this side. Regarding the parking light what do people usually do with this? I was thinking about removing it or does anyone now how to activate it only in parking mode, ie I don't want it on when main and full beam are on?

Albert Herring

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 June 2016, 12:06:45 pm »
Thanks very much to OP for this; hoping that my speaker wire & crimping kit work is up to practical use.
(I used a new H4 connector from Halfords; it's got the wires coming out in slightly suboptimal directions but I didn't think it was worth struggling with the existing one for £3.50)

fazerfan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 July 2016, 10:55:01 am »
(This is the connector which has the dip feed from the left hand bar switch via a green wire into the male part of the multipole rectangular connector.  There is no corresponding connection on the female part of the connector. Note this connector may be black on Y2K Fazers).

Interestingly, my Y2K has the black box which does have a spare green wire from the left handlebar switch but with the either dip or main lights illuminated there is no feed from the green wire.  And pulling the terminal apart has no effect on these lights either. The only effect is for the indicator and hazard lights not to work. Am used to wiring diagrams but will have to keep digging.   

Sorted it was indeed the green wire.  Thanks for the excellent topic...
« Last Edit: 08 July 2016, 09:35:31 am by fazerfan »

Darth-Fazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12 February 2017, 10:07:57 pm »
Just to say that is another Fazer 600 99 plate modded thanks to your excellent walkthrough. Mine is a red one just like in your pics, beautiful bike !  :D  I managed to get an 10A inline blade fuse wired in just in case I want to reverse the mod.  Wired in a new H4 Socket as the old one was a bit knackered.  Thanks Again!!  :)

GhostCat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 March 2017, 07:07:08 pm »
Hi
having just done the mod with the help of these instruction hoping it cant hurt to add my 2p worth you can learn from my mistakes !

Johns original instructions refer to a Fastin-Faston 8mm right angle connector. Having spent a while searching for the right part I figured out there is actually no such thing which is why everyone had trouble finding them ! They are 7.8mm AMP Fastin Flag Terminals. But there are plenty of them on Ebay, just need to search for "H4 connector" I bought a Durite one which had the correct terminals in brass and the terminals in the correct orientation.

Also, to open up the old connector, you just need to push a flat screwdriver into the central hole between the 3 pins to push the flap open.

If you look at the terminals, you see the small tab which holds the connector in the block. If you want to use your new block you get the old ones out by inserting a thin strong object to push the spring tab back so you can withdraw it from the back.

Here is the power end that plugs straight in to the connector that has a green wire going in one side and no corresponding connection on the other side of the block, that is in the junction box under the fuel tank. It is a 2.8mm crimp terminal. I crimped it, then soldered it for good measure. No need to cut any of your existing connections. The fuse can be removed for MOT's if required. I searched on ebay for "2.8mm terminal latch" - the ones you need have the small locking tab poking out of the bottom to click them in place.

good luck and a big thanks to the original author John Silva.

Ghostcat
« Last Edit: 24 March 2017, 07:20:57 pm by GhostCat »

Armitage

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 17 May 2017, 05:01:55 pm »
Apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere, but I've just been looking at my boxeye and i'm thinking about doing this mod. I've just cleaned out the reflectors, polished the lenses and the light coming out of them is still crap. I'm a little confused, if both lights are on, is that dazzling oncoming traffic? Can this be adjusted? Whats the MOT ramifications?

Many thanks

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 28 May 2017, 09:55:04 pm »
Hi all

Ive got my bike in bits fitting various new parts etc.... thought id try this mod out but i cant find any blue or black connection blocks but i do have a couple of brown and a couple of pink ones?
Thanks

Look for a block that has a wire coming in on one side, that isn't present on the other side. It was a green wire in my case. Hehe, in the movies, shouldn't you always cut the red wire? :)

Said the one armed mono pod  :rolleyes

moffmeister

• Boffie - Yaks it like it is
    Terminally Incontinent
    The Golden Bulge
    The only gay in the village
    Moff Minogue

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25 July 2017, 10:32:13 am »
Nice to see my original post reincarnated - inc. my eldest son in the last picture who is 23 now! (and just graduated as a doctor) :)

Stormbringer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Main bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 22 January 2020, 09:58:58 pm »
I'm going to do this mod on My fazer fz8 .
I believe the connector I need is under the air box so this and the tank will have to come off ?
Over Land and Sea