Date: 16-04-24  Time: 05:58 am

Author Topic: Any cycliste types...?  (Read 4386 times)

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
Any cycliste types...?
« on: 26 August 2013, 12:48:49 pm »
I just ordered a 10 speed chain for my Cannondale from Ribblecycles Cycles but, it turns out, I've a 9 speed block. Ribblecycles proved proper unhelpful and refused to amend the order, despite contacting them barely 30 minutes after placing it online.
Question: will a 10 speed chain fit a 9 speed block ok?
S
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Any cycliste types...?
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2013, 01:25:04 pm »
Hi Steve,

I'm not a cyclist type but just for your info when online retailers don't play nice it can often help to quote:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations/

Andy

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2013, 01:26:42 pm »
I just ordered a 10 speed chain for my Cannondale from Ribblecycles Cycles but, it turns out, I've a 9 speed block. Ribblecycles proved proper unhelpful and refused to amend the order, despite contacting them barely 30 minutes after placing it online.
S
Did you order it online? if so as you did not actually view the item in the shop threaten them with the office of fair trading, as you are within your rights to cancel the order especially seeing as they will not be out of pocket re post and packing etc!
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2013, 01:28:21 pm »
Hi Steve,

I'm not a cyclist type but just for your info when online retailers don't play nice it can often help to quote:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations/

Andy

Well done Andy that was what I was trying to get across in my reply :thumbup
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2013, 01:37:36 pm »
Wait and try the chain, there are different width of chain, the more gears on a gear block the narrower the chain, with your block being only one different could well be ok. I ll cross my fingers as well. :)

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2013, 01:43:19 pm »
S

I'd suggest NOT giving it a try. It is narrower than a 9 speed chain/cogs should be. I'd suggest selling it on, or giving it to some mate, or a local LBS.

Just out of curiosity which model is it (10 speed chains tend to be expensive)?

This is a decent 9 "speed" chain:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rs/en/kmc-x9-73-9-speed-chain/rp-prod25423

German sellers:
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;menu=1000,2,83;product=14771
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2013, 01:51:59 pm »
8 & 9 speed out is interchangeable (generally), 10 is not. Don't waste your time trying to get it to work. Amongst my many skills, I'm a cytech 2 qualified bike mechanic...

If they won't amend the order (which reflects poorly on them), just order the correct one as well, and when the 10 speed fella turns up, return it under the distance selling regs, which give you right to return any item within (can't recall if it's 7 or 14 days) of delivery for a full refund.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2013, 02:31:35 pm »
If you use a 10 speed chain on a 9 cassette there is a danger that on changing down from the big chainring to the inside ring the chain may fall inbetween the two rings. This is because 9 speed chains are up to 6.8 mm wide and the 10 speed up to 6.2mm wide. I use 9 and 10 cassettes and buy the correct chain for each cassette.

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2013, 04:53:10 pm »
8 & 9 speed out is interchangeable (generally), 10 is not. Don't waste your time trying to get it to work. Amongst my many skills, I'm a cytech 2 qualified bike mechanic...

If they won't amend the order (which reflects poorly on them), just order the correct one as well, and when the 10 speed fella turns up, return it under the distance selling regs, which give you right to return any item within (can't recall if it's 7 or 14 days) of delivery for a full refund.

I ordered a 10 speed Shimano Ultegra 6600 chain, £18.36 - what confused me I think was the Ultegra bit - which matches my groupset, but I neglected to check the block, when I realised my mistake I contacted them straight away - but they've refused to change the order.
Like you say - I'll order the correct one and return the 'wrong' one. Big thanks for all the replys - just so you all know it was RIBBLE CYCLES who provided such sh*te service...
S
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 August 2013, 06:49:46 pm »
Ribble are cheap for a reason. But you can return it as others have said. Compatibility is becoming harder add they is still plenty of old 9 speed about, 10 was standard for a good while, then the idiots decided 11 cogs was a good idea. Plus more proprietary chain rings mean maintaining a push bike is getting more like a motorbike cost.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2013, 05:26:17 am »
Ribble are cheap for a reason. But you can return it as others have said. Compatibility is becoming harder add they is still plenty of old 9 speed about, 10 was standard for a good while, then the idiots decided 11 cogs was a good idea. Plus more proprietary chain rings mean maintaining a push bike is getting more like a motorbike cost.

Anything over 8 cogs at the back is a waste of money, unless doing lots of group training rides, or racing I believe. Seen it all - from 5 to 10 now, on my newest bike couple of years ago. 8 is the sweet spot - maintenance wise, as well as transmission ratio range and gaps wise. And make it a MTB groupo, since "road" bike parts are almost twice the price.

/rant over

10 speed does ride nice though, no complaints there. :)
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2013, 07:50:40 am »

You're right about compatibility - when I started riding bikes were 3 speed and all imperial... cotter pins... all steel frames... Try telling that to the kids today and they won't believe you!

update: wow! they are cheap aren't they?? quite a bit less than Parker and free post too... might put up with the service after all.
« Last Edit: 27 August 2013, 01:27:51 pm by steeeve66 »

Steven Wright