Date: 19-04-24  Time: 06:52 am

Author Topic: Hyperpro steering damper won't fit  (Read 6138 times)

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
Hyperpro steering damper won't fit
« on: 13 July 2012, 04:40:26 pm »
just tried fitting a Hyperpro steering damper and found it wont fit - the piston rod makes contact with the flat handlebars as you turn left. Question: is there a mounting kit that sits lower than the one pictured (there's plenty of room i think - the one supplied was the Hyperpro SD Mounting Kit) or is the only solution higher bars?

or only turning right... (thought I'd get that in, saving you the agg.)

cheers!
S
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperpro steering damper won't fit
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2012, 05:49:43 pm »
Obviously designed to work with the standard bars. You could fit some bar raisers from someone like SW Motech, lots of choice here http://www.motohaus.com/acatalog/Handlebar_Risers_Equipment.html

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2012, 11:38:20 pm »
I have a ohlins kit that sits in the same place as your kit and I've changed my raisers and now it catches also, so have brought a sprint side fitting damper/kit looks very trick, just google sprint steering dampers there based in Nottingham and you can buy direct and I even haggled and got a great deal. 

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2012, 05:23:58 am »
Why fit a steering damper in the first place?
I know they look trick, but you'll have to really upset a gen 1 thou to get any head shake.
Even with the arse raised and forks through the yokes a good 10mls can't get a slapper. You get a little twitch but nothing that can't be controlled with those wide bars.
The wheelbase is so long on the fazer you don't need a damper.

I'd send it back and use the money to sort front forks or shock out if you ain't already.

Jacko

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2012, 08:43:40 am »
Why fit a steering damper in the first place?
I know they look trick, but you'll have to really upset a gen 1 thou to get any head shake.
Even with the arse raised and forks through the yokes a good 10mls can't get a slapper. You get a little twitch but nothing that can't be controlled with those wide bars.
The wheelbase is so long on the fazer you don't need a damper.

I'd send it back and use the money to sort front forks or shock out if you ain't already.

Jacko

Suspension sorted by HM here in Kent and I still regularly get more than just a '..little twitch...'. Having fitted a steering damper to my SD earlier in the year and noticed the difference I'm convinced it's worth the agg trying it on the gen 1.
Incidentally, although this is hardly reason on its own, the Marshalls had them fitted on their Fazers at the IoM this year.
Pretty sure I'll try the bar riser route - although 37 quid seems a little salty for (essentially) a couple of spacers(??)
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2012, 10:16:44 pm »
Why fit a steering damper in the first place? Because i can
I know they look trick, but you'll have to really upset a gen 1 thou to get any head shake. I do agree on this it wont shake its head easy.
The wheelbase is so long on the fazer you don't need a damper With R1 forks the geometry has changed and has shorter wheelbase than stock.
Having R1 forks its very quick to steer so having the damper slows it down to what i like the steering to feel like so in my book with the mods Ive done the damper fulfills my needs and a worthy mod for ME.

Jako

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2012, 09:01:44 pm »
Hi there is a fitting guide on pats motorcycle page re hyperpro damper iirc he had clearence issues also. You look like you have renthal 658 flat bars to me on your photo? . The damper even with standard bars fouled the switches .
I was  informed on here a fair few years ago that with standard forks a damper is not really required. I fancied one as used to having them on my bikes, I once had a 350 YPVS and that used to slap like a bitch ! This was 87 like, so I understand the insurance you seek. Lsl do a nice side mount damper if you can't get any joy with hyperpro. The lsl damper uses the cam cover as a mount and fork leg . Ideal for those that don't want to jump on the bandwagon and fit R1 forks.
hope this helps :)
Jacko
« Last Edit: 17 July 2012, 09:17:06 pm by jackojet »

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2012, 09:12:36 pm »
Cabletie
I'm a little pissed you highlighted my post to steeve above.
I was just trying to help and give my opinion.
I know you had probably one of the most cracking modded  gen1's  I have seen on here, a credit to you.
There was no need to try and make me look a cnut  :\
regards
Its jacko not jako

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2012, 10:57:50 pm »
Jacko let's get things straight,  you posted under my post and therefore I was implied to respond as someone who has a damper fitted as your questioning why fit a damper in the 1st place ! so let's just say how one spends there money or does whatever mods to there bike does not need to explain why they fitted such item as my reply suggest's some mods are done for looks others for gain's  also you state the wheel base is so long you don't need one ! But  you make that statement and you have never had a damper on a fazer so really that input is irrelevant, but I did suggest you was correct it would take a lot to make it shake it's head and therefore my reply to your post was in no way offensive so chill out.

Im sure your man enough to take criticism ffs it's a forum after all.

Ps. Your name appeared as per a reply with quote and not my input.

I hope that clears things up and rather than spoil someone else's post any issues I suggest you pm me.

Dave

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2012, 11:16:05 pm »
Hi Dave
Quite rightly so, not here to battle who posts first ! Nor is this a game of who the foc R U!
your right I've never fitted a damper to fazer, I don't find a need and if folks want to fit one, so what, they can.
I merely  said I don't like people interfering with what I posted.
hope this clears things up
Regards
Pete (jacko) :)

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 July 2012, 12:19:57 am »
..wish I hadn't asked now   :lol

'need', I guess, is to some extent subjective? I'm sure I don't need a damper on my FZS but, having fitted one to my SD and found it improved things, felt it was worth trying. Preference rather than need if that makes sense?

Thanks for the replies tho - I've the bar risers on order, will let you know how I get on...

Steven Wright

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 July 2012, 12:27:23 am »
Hi there is a fitting guide on pats motorcycle page re hyperpro damper iirc he had clearence issues also. You look like you have renthal 658 flat bars to me on your photo? . The damper even with standard bars fouled the switches

Yes, the bars are the 658s, I mocked up (out of wood) some 30mm risers to see if it cleared ok and it does (just) so some 30mm risers from sw motech are on order. Will have to wait and see if the extra height makes having flat bars kind of pointless, if it does then maybe some smaller risers with the 758 bars may work better.

Steven Wright

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 July 2012, 06:14:36 am »
Nice one Steeve , let us know how you get on :)

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 July 2012, 09:52:14 pm »
This is something I have been considering, as I do find the front can get a little skittish over some of the more bumpy roads when I'm out having fun. My bike has the R6 shock fitted but standard front end, it also has 658s on, so will be watching this post for further updates on how things go with the bar risers etc. Please keep us posted :D

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 July 2012, 01:51:08 pm »
This is something I have been considering, as I do find the front can get a little skittish over some of the more bumpy roads when I'm out having fun. My bike has the R6 shock fitted but standard front end, it also has 658s on, so will be watching this post for further updates on how things go with the bar risers etc. Please keep us posted :D

i'll keep you posted but, if like me you want to keep the 658's, it's no easy task (if you've already bought the Hyperpro). On order are some bar risers which, i think, will give clearance but might defeat the point of having flat bars - you may as well, presumably, just put 758's on?
the other route is to machine off some of the spacer holding the eyelet part of the damper and creating a new stem nut bracket. more cost...

Steven Wright

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 July 2012, 09:47:40 pm »
If you want to keep your flat bars buy a damper off sprint dampers in notts, excellent dampers and quality made as good if not better than the ohlins one ive just removed and a really nice bunch, I wanted some extra bits and they never charged me for em, I can't praise them enough