Date: 19-04-24  Time: 22:32 pm

Author Topic: Boris' cycle superhighway  (Read 2529 times)

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
Boris' cycle superhighway
« on: 09 January 2016, 04:56:37 pm »
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere but I just found myself trying to navigate St Georges Circus and Elephant & Castle in London for the first time today in a few months.. What the thundering f*ck?? Is it meant be safer for cyclists? I can't see anyone benefiting, even pedastrians looked suddenly at more risk..
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Boris' cycle superhighway
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2016, 06:59:41 pm »
Same as the one they  have nearly completed in Leeds, nice wide roads now so narrow that trucks can barely negotiate in places because the cycle lane is so wide, in places there is now no footpath so pedestrians and cyclists share , loads of on road parking is now non existent,  foccing great idea, just wonder how many cyclists are actually going to use it.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2016, 07:48:56 pm »
The Upper/Lower Thames street/ Victoria Embankment one is a fecking shocker - 2 lanes each way plus a cycle lane now down to one lane each way for cars etc. Too narrow to even filter past for us. Utter shite, with some Boris Bollox masterplan to come in the near future.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2016, 08:38:46 am »
The Upper/Lower Thames street/ Victoria Embankment one is a fecking shocker - 2 lanes each way plus a cycle lane now down to one lane each way for cars etc. Too narrow to even filter past for us. Utter shite, with some Boris Bollox masterplan to come in the near future.
It's two lanes heading west!

Still not had the joy of experiencing elephant and castle yet, but the approach along westminster bridge rd to St George is fun as the first section of bus Lane doesn't include motorbikes on the signage but the second part does,
I always wonder if they do things like that to catch bikes out and gain some £'s or if it's general incompetence!
Some say...

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2016, 10:23:56 am »
It's two lanes heading west!

Still not had the joy of experiencing elephant and castle yet, but the approach along westminster bridge rd to St George is fun as the first section of bus Lane doesn't include motorbikes on the signage but the second part does,
I always wonder if they do things like that to catch bikes out and gain some £'s or if it's general incompetence!

Ah ok Stiggy, cheers for that - is it all 2 lanes west including Upper Thames? I've just totally avoided it since they started work on it.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2016, 10:25:43 am »
Nah, not yet- obviously still under construction!
Not only that but the cycle Lane is closed eastbound so you've got pushbikes with cars hearing west in a narrow Lane, genius!
Some say...

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2016, 10:14:06 am »
noticed Elephant & Castle appears to have claimed it's first victim recently - it's only been up and running for a few weeks. It's terrible, heading south on the A2 is appalling.. who gets to decide these things?
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2016, 01:06:00 am »
I like the way there are open sections so cyclists can join the car lanes without looking or slowing.

Boris is a knob
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2016, 05:52:28 pm »
I like the way there are open sections so cyclists can join the car lanes without looking or slowing.

Boris is a massive knob

FTFY
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2016, 07:55:41 am »

Boris is a massive knob

FTFY

FTFY???
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2016, 01:47:49 pm »
For all you Boris fans daan saaf . . .
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.