Date: 19-04-24  Time: 08:29 am

Author Topic: wales please be dry  (Read 5142 times)

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
  • loving the new ivanised beast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
wales please be dry
« on: 05 October 2015, 04:52:55 pm »
heading to wales sat for a day or two for a bit of a nose around ,goin in and out through holyhead ,,was wondering am i better off heading down the coast road or down the centre of the country any interesting points of interest i should be seeing ,never been before and b+b accomodation any recommendations would be appreciated  :thumbup
please god let the sun keep shining

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: wales please be dry
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2015, 05:55:23 pm »
actually readin some crackin threads on wales here in the forum,,serious scenery and great roads to boot ,really lookin forward to this  :D

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2015, 06:18:45 pm »
It sure is a fabulous place (in the dry)
also it is about three times bigger than most people think,,would need a week to do a fair tour.

hope it stays dry,forcast could be in your favour.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2015, 06:33:12 pm »
yes was just reading that in a thread ..although doesnt look too big on the map :lol ,might have to limit myself to one particular area prob snowdonia or there abouts

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 October 2015, 06:37:03 pm »
I'm not too familiar with the roads up that end of the country but if you are venturing a little south then take the A487 to Aberystwyth. From Aberystwyth take the A4120 to Devil's Bridge (some spectacular waterfalls here). There is a cafe in Devils Bridge and as you go past it there is a turning right into a country lane. Take this turning right and the road will take you over the Elan Valley to Rhayader. When you get to Rhayader turn right and take the A470 to Builth Wells and then the A483 to Llandovery. There is a biker cafe in Llandovery (West End Cafe). From Llandovery take the A40 for a short way towards Carmarthen and then turn right onto the A482towards Lampeter. Following the A482 will eventually bring you to Aberaeron and just down the coast road from Aberystwyth where you started. These are just some of the most amazing roads and that ride alone should take you all day.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 October 2015, 07:05:03 pm »
cheers that sure does look like a good DAYS riding :)

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 October 2015, 07:07:46 pm »
Forgot to add the weather actually looks good for the weekend, just a little chilly. We're having a lot of rain between now and Wednesday.

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 October 2015, 07:30:08 pm »
well heres hoping i get a dry weather window to pop in and out  :D ,,dont suppose there will be any shortage of b+b accomodation available,at this time of year

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 October 2015, 08:22:39 pm »
http://www.greatestdrivingroads.com/great_roads/The_Evo_Triangle.html

This is a great bit of road if you get the chance to ride it, about 25 mins from mine near Conwy.

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 October 2015, 09:04:51 pm »
If you're looking for exciting places to visit you could try this. Near Bettws Y Coed. http://www.go-below.co.uk/zip-below.asp

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 October 2015, 10:17:41 pm »
Porthmadog to Caernarfon Via coastal road a good ride, theres one bloody hidden road I only found once which was class but sometimes wonder if I dreamt it.

Llechwedd slate mines worth a butchers depending on your interests.

Do watch your speed as the police are bastards over there, do remember that Araf means slow.....ahem

Around Snowdonia try just turning left at EACH junction you come to, some amazing roads out there, some of the best roads were found purely by chance and your never really that far away from your digs

If you go up Snowden, walk, the only way to expearince it.

Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 October 2015, 05:42:28 am »
I'm not too familiar with the roads up that end of the country but if you are venturing a little south then take the A487 to Aberystwyth. From Aberystwyth take the A4120 to Devil's Bridge (some spectacular waterfalls here). There is a cafe in Devils Bridge and as you go past it there is a turning right into a country lane. Take this turning right and the road will take you over the Elan Valley to Rhayader. When you get to Rhayader turn right and take the A470 to Builth Wells and then the A483 to Llandovery. There is a biker cafe in Llandovery (West End Cafe). From Llandovery take the A40 for a short way towards Carmarthen and then turn right onto the A482towards Lampeter. Following the A482 will eventually bring you to Aberaeron and just down the coast road from Aberystwyth where you started. These are just some of the most amazing roads and that ride alone should take you all day.

+1 for Grayo's route although you will be in Mid Wales and there is always the option to take the A44 Aberystwyth to Rhayader as an alternative to the small mountain road that Grayo describes from Devils Bridge to Rhayader..................depends what you are after but for the thou I would say that the A44 is sublime as it is one of the most well surfaced roads you will have been on recently and has lovely sweeping, open corners.....you can tear it up from Aberystwyth to Rhayader like an extended hill climb circuit......the smaller road is beautiful but slow riding as more of a well surfaced goat track........or luxury for you Irishmen ;)

shame im back to work Saturday onwards as I would have joined you.........apparently theres a face off coming between a big Russian high pressure system and the American Hurricane......if the Russian high pressure wins then we could be in for a special treat with the weather although it will probably still be foccing cold :)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 October 2015, 07:49:41 pm »
Why not go out through Hollyhead and back through Pembroke?

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 October 2015, 12:17:53 am »
ferry was full over the rugby  :rolleyes cheers for all these route suggestions lads ,already i can tell that ill need to come back for a good week of touring to see most of wales ,but i have a rough idea of which area to concentrate on and any further than that is a bonus,,2 and a half days is only a drop in the ocean when your trying to see so much beauty,,hoping to wing it on the accomadation so hopefully we can just rock on up to a comfy geust house as it gets dark each evening,,half tempted to throw the tent on the back just in case  :eek

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 October 2015, 09:45:55 am »
Stayed in Aberystwyth last lethal craic in the town full of young wans if you were into that kind of thing, ahem  :lol,,we're doing the route above today and probably drop down to the breacon beacons along the way and head back over towards Aberaeron to end the day..if anyone on the area wanted to join us for some or all of the route, or just a coffee along the way even.,feel free,, 0860638207. And whatever Welsh /English /Irish code goes before that number lol

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 October 2015, 09:56:05 am »
That's grayo's route BTW

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 October 2015, 01:37:43 pm »
Have fun Downey, looking a bit grey down this way but still nice enough for this time of year.....p.s Aber is always good for a perve :b

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 October 2015, 02:02:46 pm »
Gray will do me ha I'm well used to that. Although it's sunny here in Rhayader now, that well surfaced goat track was very enjoyable

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 October 2015, 06:50:48 pm »
 :useless

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 October 2015, 09:01:13 pm »
Yep....pics or you werent there :lol

Did i mention that i seen the Vulcan today....swooped right over me and real close and then hovered above me for a couple of minutes to take a pic.....but i couldnt be bothered :b

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 October 2015, 10:57:17 pm »
Ha ha I did get a few alright in between scraping pegs with great confidence for a change, not one pot hole did I see or gravel where it shouldn't be, smooth winding roads all over.Although I did have a close call coming through the elan Valley on a blind crest I expected the road to go straight on, it didn't  :lol glad I got a new tyre before leaving, like marquez I was  :rollin saw some cool dams and dykes or lesbians whatever u wanna call them  :lol,great route guys cheers, no room at the inn when we ended up in new Quay at the end of today so we watched Ireland win and headed for familiar grounds in the glengower hotel in Aberystwyth, comfy out,have a 4 hour route planned from here to the 2 o clock ferry tomorrow taking in Aberdovey coast road, Barmouth coast road and the through some new roads in the hills near snowdonia all timed to perfection of course  :D
 heres a few I took with the phone the rest are In the camera

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 October 2015, 11:08:54 pm »
Another few

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 October 2015, 11:13:57 pm »
My mate the tight git thought he was clever out getting the afternoon tea cause it said sandwich and lots of other bits and pieces for 10 pound ha he got a chutney an cheese sandwich and a bunch of cakes  :rollin not happy at all... :lol when abroad always play it safe with a club sandwich  :).
« Last Edit: 16 October 2015, 10:35:17 am by downey »