Date: 18-04-24  Time: 13:09 pm

Author Topic: Replacing Steering head bearings  (Read 6458 times)

Xander567

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Replacing Steering head bearings
« on: 28 March 2015, 12:36:42 pm »
Hey,

Just had my bike serviced and they've mentioned that the Steering head bearings are wearing. How hard would it be to replace them myself? The place quoted £220 for the job, which is a bit tight on current expenses. After looking at another site, i can pick up near bearings for £35, so I imagine most of the orignal cost is going on labour and vat.

On a side note, anyone in the sheffield area that wants free beer and doesn't mind spending a couple of hours showing me how it's done? Happy to pay aswell as I'm trying to maintain my own bike.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
Re: Replacing Steering head bearings
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2015, 01:43:53 pm »
I recon they are taking the piss with that quote. They were an advisory on my MoT last year. I went to visit another, well known/regarded, garage in my area before I went on a euro tour last year. The owner test rode my bike and said it would be £150 all in, but... The bike is fine for now and to spend my money on my holiday. I told him I will be going to the Nurburgring and covering over 3000 miles, and that I would probably do the job myself when I get back as I will have time. He said - Have a great time and if you need any advice doing the bearings, drop in and see us. I went back with a couple cases of beer.

Point being, your quote was too high, and they would have to be really bad to NEED changing.

All balls set for £30, upgrade to the alternative type bearing and use plenty grease. Buy a Haynes manual.

I have the stuff there, but have decided to do a full rebuild instead, so bought an Aprilia Tuono to use for a year whilst the Fazer is off the road. That way I have a year to do everything  :D
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2015, 02:02:05 pm »
I did mine a couple of years back. Not a very difficult job, just a bit long-winded because there's a lot of dismantling to do to get at them.
The trickiest part is getting the old bearings out, particularly the top outer race. I put a slight bend in a large screwdriver and that just got enough purchase on the lip of the old bearings. Work your way around as evenly as possible when drifting them out so they don't jam.

Xander567

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2015, 02:24:15 pm »
Bloke said it would fail the MOT, but that's not due until the summer anyway, so got some time.

I only notice the notches when I'm actually looking for it, or when it's up on the centre stand.

i'll just hold off and do the job myself then.

For the record: http://www.motorcycle-road-and-race.co.uk/steering-head-bearings-yamaha-fzs-600-fazer-98-03

they what I'm looking for?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2015, 02:37:21 pm »
I went with a set that included the seals. Can't be sure as it was a while ago, but they were probably Pyramid.

stevie-g1968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2015, 04:03:01 pm »
just pack them with grease for now, I had this on my bandit years ago... bit of grease and they lasted another year before I decided to sort them.
FOCing down under.......dodging vacant Skippy's.

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2015, 09:08:14 pm »
To get an idea on price, I've just changed head bearings and fork oil on a Triumph Daytona for £150 and I picked it up from and delivered to his house which is 25 miles one way.

Not a bad job if you have the right tools. Some manufacturers don't give you enough purchase to remove the races which is annoying.

bigsteve

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM850 FZS600SP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2015, 09:12:26 pm »
this might give you a idea

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2015, 06:02:39 am »
Do it. If the old ones are worn replacing them will transform the handling.

3legs

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2015, 10:14:49 pm »
I recently bought a tatty 99 for £650 and am in the process of getting it sorted - I have never seen a chain so gunged up with layer upon layer of oil and gunge!!!  I can actually see gold links now.

Anyway I wanted to take both wheels off  - got the back out eventually and started to take the front one off.  The spindle nut was very tight so I thought I would put the bike on the side stand and forgot about no back wheel - Pushed the bike forward and crash....the whole bike was flat on the floor on the suspension linkage. Managed to get it up back on the main stand and just hope no permanent damage. Lesson - put brain in gear

Got the forks off and turned the bars from side to side to check the bearings - it was smooth apart from a slight notch when the bars are in the  straight position - is this middle notchy feel normal ? Its only slight and I cant feel it when riding it, although I haven't held in a straight line for some distance yet

Cheers

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2015, 10:04:26 am »
I managed to get mine sitting flat on the floor some years ago when getting new tyres and blocks holding front end up not as secure as I thought.  Didn't do any damage is the good news.

If steering head bearings just have slight notch you can barely feel it's not a problem but will be mentioned as advisory in MOT (if you fake bike to independent MOT centre for the next 3 years without changing head bearings they don't even mention it as advisory but then they aren't hoping to pick up business from any work required!

If the notch means you move handlebars an inch and let go and it jumps back into the notch then definetly need to replace bearings.

3legs

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2015, 11:09:06 am »
Ok, thanks.
I live on the IOM and there is no MOT, so no prob there!!
It is only a slight notch, but will see if it does return to centre - cheers

Xander567

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 March 2015, 01:30:24 pm »
Looks straight forward according to the video.

Any one got any ideas on how to make a home made bearing press though? Was going to head to B&Q this weekend and see if i can find a bottle jack and some make shift pieces to craft one.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2015, 01:34:44 pm by Xander567 »