Date: 19-04-24  Time: 12:27 pm

Author Topic: Rear brake caliper will an R1 caliper fit my gen 1??????  (Read 3911 times)

bluethou

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Rear brake caliper will an R1 caliper fit my gen 1??????
« on: 22 September 2014, 06:13:52 pm »
I made a grave error recently when i had a new rear tyre fitted, i took of the wheel and took it to my local dealer to have my new rear tyre fitted  (angel GT) when i put it back on i forgot to tighten my rear caliper bolts and after a day or two they worked loose and fell out sending the caliper bouncing about, with luck i stopped before it caused too much damage so with a file and some black paint it was back on with some new pads and a quick service, but i think its f#@ked I've bled it and left the pedal under pressure all night with the cap off (luggage strap to centre stand) this only lasted one trip to work and now its back to spongy. i cant see any leaks and the fluid isnt going down so im going for a whole new caliper and hose, vant find one on evilbay only R1 calipers that look exactly the same so do they fit and if so which one do i buy or do any of you lot have one I could buy???????
[size=78%]any help will be great....[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]...and now for the telling off...... [/size]
Fines are cheaper than front tyres!!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Rear brake caliper will an R1 caliper fit my gen 1??????
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2014, 07:05:11 pm »
Short answer, NO,

Only ones models that will fit are the latest model XJR1300 and the fazer 600 :) . It would be a change to see someone convert the 1000 to a 600 one :lol

Now I understand why you are looking for a caliper :)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2014, 09:02:33 pm »
Excuse me asking, but did you bleed both sides of the caliper?

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2014, 10:45:15 pm »
If it's not leaking and the level isn't dropping it's just a bleeding problem, try cracking the banjo at the top of the master cylinder and squeezing some fluid from there as air can get caught at the top, I had that problem with mine not bleeding properly.
Wrap some rag around it though to catch the fluid.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2014, 09:52:55 pm »
The calipers on Fazers are buggers to bleed. Don't give up yet. My top tip - take the caliper off and push the pistons all the way back in and try again.

Ianboydsnr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2014, 01:29:45 pm »
The calipers on Fazers are buggers to bleed. Don't give up yet. My top tip - take the caliper off and push the pistons all the way back in and try again.
when I rebuilt my rear calliper with new pistons and new hoses recently and I had no issues at all with the bleeding. I did use a vacuum bleeder to pull the fluid through and then used a one man bleeder to finish off, the vacuum bleeder saved me a lot of time and effort bleeding new hoses.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2014, 05:33:39 pm »
when I rebuilt my rear calliper with new pistons and new hoses recently and I had no issues at all with the bleeding. I did use a vacuum bleeder to pull the fluid through and then used a one man bleeder to finish off, the vacuum bleeder saved me a lot of time and effort bleeding new hoses.

That's cheating Solo!

I just rebuilt the front calipers and I was about an hour in and when I took the reservoir cover off to add more fluid as my wrists were killing me, I was leaning on the tank with my face close to the reservoir and I happened to notice the odd little bubble appearing in it. Just a little squeeze of the lever and more bubbles, so I kept going just gentle squeezing the lever a couple of centimetres and the damn thing bled from the top. Only took 10 mins to get them all out and get decent lever pressure, and then a couple of more minutes with the bleed nipples on the calipers. Very weird.

I'm definitely getting a vacuum bleeder next time.