Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:24 pm

Author Topic: Moving from FS600 to FZ6 S2 - Thoughts?  (Read 1767 times)

nedworthy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Moving from FS600 to FZ6 S2 - Thoughts?
« on: 15 November 2019, 03:56:03 pm »
Just wondered if anyone wanted to express some thoughts, ideas, views, riding experiences etc as I am thinking of changing my 02 600 for a 08 FZ6 with Abs.  ;)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Moving from FS600 to FZ6 S2 - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2019, 04:41:22 pm »
don't do it
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2019, 04:57:51 pm »
Never ridden an FZS600, so wouldn't comment on one. However, have owned an FZ6 S2 fazer for 5 years. Used to for commuting to work and back for 2 years before I retired, proved to be reliable, never failed, stood up to shit weather well with no signs of rust or corrosion (but I did acf50 protect spring and summer). Road holding was good during winter with decent tyres on it (bridgestone BT023), no oil usage and good economy. The fairing also provides decent protection from the elements. I have added a lower fairing to mine for even better protection.

The bike is nimble and turns easily, and is not expensive to maintain, provided you carry out some form of maintenance regime. Seat height is fine is your short like me (5ft 6") although I did lower both the front and rear slightly so as to be on the balls of the feet rather than the toes.

Front suspension is non adjustable, rear is adjustable for preload only.

I have found the seat comfortable for longer journeys and the bars are positioned at a height that does not put pressure on the wrists, and keeps the back a little bent so as to avoid pressure up through the spine

I found the clutch hard work in traffic,  going up and down the box, and converted my to hydraulic for much easier use. That has been a revelation. The gearbox is a little cluncky form neutral into first, and from third down into second, but they're all like that apparently

The brakes really are very good. I can outbrake many other bikes on the track with them, they are strong with no fade, but that could alter depending on pads etc. I am currently on EBC FA252HH sintered. The really brake is almost non existent. Your better off taking a deep breath and blowing out in front off you.

For a bog standard road bike, performance is very good, moves very quickly once you get to 8000 rpm and ive never had any vibrations.

I think in value for money terms, they are good value at the moment, more modern bikes like the MT07/ninja 650 etc sre down on power and performance compared to the FZ6 S2. There are modifications available too should you wish to go that way. After market exhuast will remove several kilos of flab, as will removing the cat convertor

Shop around, there are plenty to choose form. Check the mileage, valve service is at 24,000 so be aware of that

Hope this helps. They are seriously good machines

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2019, 11:42:37 pm »
Can agree with all Agricola says. Had my FZ6 S2 just over a year now. Had a '03 FZS600 for about 6 years prior to that. Put a full write up on differences on my blog here:- https://www.beginnerbiker.com/2018/12/yamaha-faze-off-2003-fzs600-vs-2007-fz6-s2

Since that post, I've improved the heavy clutch a little by swapping on a MT07 lower clutch arm (sub £20 simple mod). Done headlight mod so both light up and popped on a Puig double bubble screen. I'm definitely more used to the bike now and can fling it around with more confidence than it initially inspired. Though still prefer the nimbleness of the old FZS600. Done a track day on the FZ6, but it pissed down, so it was a bit of a tip-toe session. Done a few trips up to Wales and a mini tour of Ardennes on it, where it was grand. Had no mechanical hassles, just usual service stuff: oil, filters, tyres, pads, braided lines, battery, etc.

Key things I still really miss:
The huge 230+ mile tank range of the FZS600 (2002-2003 models only)
Lack of suspension adjustment - even the rear pre-load is a bitch to tweak.
Lack of under seat storage (due to exhausts in the way).

There's definitely stuff on the FZ6 S2 engineered better, the Alu frame, swingarm, stainless pipes from stock etc.
Corrosion wise, mine's an '07 model with 20k on it and holding up well. Only the front coolant overflow tank and brackets on front of engine is showing signs of corrosion.

The FZ6 S2 still is a lot of bike for the money they go for. It's not a million miles from the FZS600, but definitely some differences.

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2019, 09:40:29 am »
I've had an s2 and they are cracking bikes. They Like the revs and of course Fuel injected, handled well with good tyres and decent fork springs, I would

have another one.(Go for the later s2 after 2005 with different clocks)

I've got an fzs 600 because I love the character of the bike, and I can work on them easily..the s2 is easy to work on nothing too complicated.

Both bikes are shocking for windblast tho'...I've spent a fortune on screens and never found a really good one !! :rollin

nedworthy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2019, 09:19:22 pm »
 :)  Great folks , thnkx for feedback - very informative.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2019, 09:38:32 am »
FZ6 looks a very safe transition from a FZS600 Fazer. Infact looks similar to the fractionally newer Mk2 facelift FZS600.
Just a revised design plus obviously newer technology, being a few years newer (2004+).

Have you considered a FZ1 or MT07/09? A more substantial "upgrade", otherwise I'd just keep the FZS600 :)
« Last Edit: 27 November 2019, 09:54:08 am by F4celess »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2019, 10:20:57 am »
FZ6 looks a very safe transition from a FZS600 Fazer. Infact looks similar to the fractionally newer Mk2 facelift FZS600.
Just a revised design plus obviously newer technology, being a few years newer (2004+).

Have you considered a FZ1 or MT07/09? A more substantial "upgrade", otherwise I'd just keep the FZS600 :)

Depends where he lives, it's no good for the ULEZ charge in London for example. £12.50 a DAY just to ride it.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2019, 10:31:29 am »
Quote from: darrsi
Depends where he lives, it's no good for the ULEZ charge in London for example. £12.50 a DAY just to ride it.

Good points. The location its being used could be an influence - certainly if riding through tolls through the week.
Also a bigger bike / engine might not be so practical in a congested city environment.

Plus is the bike for leisure, or destined to become a workhorse / commuter too...

nedworthy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 December 2019, 12:38:31 pm »
No need for ULEZ, I go the other way out on A3 so 80% of commute is 'fake' Motorway. I was just thinking of an upgrade with maybe ABS, FI and whether it was worth it or not, also a bit of advance planning for two-up tour next year which I'm hesitant to do without ABS. Seems similarities btw FZS600 /FZ6 are quite close so might not be best upgrade, other than good prices!