Date: 29-03-24  Time: 01:34 am

Author Topic: Oil on back wheel  (Read 2159 times)

nige1972

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Vespa
    • View Profile
Oil on back wheel
« on: 20 July 2016, 08:19:28 pm »
Hi all,  just posted in intoductions,  now im gonna be poaching advice from you experienced lot if you dont mind. Bear with me cos dont have a clue with bikes soo... Only done a few miles on bike since purchase and missus calls me today and said theres oil over your back wheel,  had a check and yup she was correct and as it was coming from above I assumed it was the chain oiler so pulled seat and found a loose oil tube which appears to connect to nothing and a black smaller hard plastic pipe that cones from cap? taken a couple of photos to make it clearer.. Im not even sure if oiler works but def needs some new nibs?

nige1972

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Vespa
    • View Profile
Re: Oil on back wheel
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2016, 08:22:22 pm »
« Last Edit: 20 July 2016, 08:45:20 pm by nige1972 »

nige1972

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Vespa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2016, 08:36:40 pm »
« Last Edit: 20 July 2016, 08:41:30 pm by nige1972 »

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2016, 09:03:33 pm »
Hi,
1st pic is where the problem is initially!

The two pipes coming out are correct, but the white pipe is disconnected from the pipe that goes to your chain, the small black pipe at the top should go to one off the carburettors, it connects to the wee small rubber cap that sits to the rear of a carburettor.
If you search on here, "fitting a scottoiler" that'll show you in more detail.

Couple of tips here to check....
I've just visited the scottoiler place this week and found out my unit is goosed.....guy connected oil to the white pipe to squeeze oil into the system, but unfortunately there's an air leak at the top where the yellow line is so it's of no use and you can't repair it. New unit needed!

If the system is goosed and you don't have the original carburettor cap.....take the black plastic pipe out the top of the unit, heat up the  end and then flatten it with a pair of pliers, this stops the unit uding the vacuum and should then make your bike run a bit better as utility won't be drawing air from the scottoiler.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2016, 09:11:10 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

nige1972

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Vespa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2016, 09:24:34 pm »
cheers for reply mate.  The black vaccum pipe is just curled up under seat and doesnt go anywhere.  Ive been reading up a bit tonight just to find what should be where etc.  Im wondering if its been blanked off at carb cos when i realease throttle the bike hangs back like ive applied brakes but obviously being new to it I wasnt sure if thats how they were so gonna have to look into seeing if vacums been blanked off but it does appear that the oiler isnt working then now lol

nige1972

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Vespa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2016, 09:26:22 pm »

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2016, 09:44:28 pm »
Sorry I fekked up a wee bit earlier but principles are the same(ish)

Black pipe at top goes to carburettor
White/clear pipe is as is (goes nowhere)
Bottom of unit there should be the pipe that goes to the chain and either have the twin splitter for both sides of chain or a single piece.
But I'd remove the scottoiler if there's any oil in it at all, remove the risk of more oil going on tyre/wheel.

All the other stuff I said earlier is correct though.

Personally if it's not connected to the carb, but there's a rubber bung missing at the carb, try and seal it with something (use the method I quoted earlier, tube, melt, pliers) and then see how engine is.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2016, 05:25:18 am by sinto »
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

nige1972

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Vespa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2016, 10:51:25 pm »
Cheers Sinto.. found angled rubber at carb end with  vac pipe attatched but obviosly somewhere on its route its been cut or something but have to investigate if its been blanked off... oh the joys of finding stuff out about new toy lol. thanks for advice mate

Ferg

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2016, 11:08:40 pm »
Cant see from photos properly but it looks like there is a dual oiler fitted at the sprocket. The ends of the oiler should be just gently touching on each side of the rear sprocket so that the centrifugal force drives it onto the chain.

The reservoir unit should also be positioned so that the top (the end from the vacuum pipe) is above the other end. The pipe that looks like it goes no where is the breather and also used for refilling.

The black pipe as has been said goes to the spigot on the carb rubbers to provide a vacuum to make the oiler work.

The timing of the drips also need to be set and can be adjusted with the knurled adjusted on the unit.

nige1972

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Vespa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2016, 07:42:50 pm »
Cheers Ferg. Followed the vaccum pipe today and its been cut and plugged with a nail.  Gonna order a new length of pipe,  some nibs? for the twin feed,  although its nowhere near the rear sprocket.  Does the breather have a one way vent so that the oil doesnt run out the end? Concerned I may buy all the spares and find the oiler doesnt work anyway.