Date: 25-04-24  Time: 00:00 am

Author Topic: Im flumoxed  (Read 8208 times)

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
Re: Im flumoxed
« Reply #25 on: 01 June 2016, 10:49:10 pm »
Carb icing?
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 June 2016, 10:54:14 pm »
Did you do the pump bypass yet?

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 June 2016, 10:58:11 pm »
How do you know the fuel pump is in good working order? Could it be functioning ok electrically but have a mechanical issue?

To me it does sound like the pump is not keeping up with demand for whatever reason.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 June 2016, 07:34:45 am »
Did you check the pump output?  They don't last forever and it's output is down it would only show up at higher speeds. 

grizzler

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - GSX600F
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 June 2016, 08:36:26 am »
I am just heading down that path as I seem to be running out of reasons..lol.. no idea how to check that so bought a new one. Awaiting it's arrival with worms in my mouth......... ( baited breath)... :)
Life is never complete. Once you've discovered rock music, beer, bikes & girls, you have the rest of your life to intimately explore each one.. Good luck with finishing that project.

Paul

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 02 June 2016, 09:48:36 am »
Given that you've checked everything else, I'd bypass the fuel pump and see what happens.

It could be a faulty pump or an intermittent electrical issue.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 June 2016, 11:06:29 am »
Carb icing?

My bike suffered carb icing when I first got it, his symptoms don't sound like that.
Once the carbs ice up the bike runs like absolute shite, it wouldn't be resolved with a few on/offs of the key, the ice needs to be melted before you can set off again.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03 June 2016, 12:17:19 am »
Carb icing?

My bike suffered carb icing when I first got it, his symptoms don't sound like that.
Once the carbs ice up the bike runs like absolute shite, it wouldn't be resolved with a few on/offs of the key, the ice needs to be melted before you can set off again.

Ah good point, I have never had it but seen it mentioned and thought I'd throw it into the mix.

If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 June 2016, 10:31:42 am »
Carb icing only happens in temperatures of around 4 degrees or less. It can happens from startup on the fazers until they reach operating temperature, but not after as the carb heaters prevent it. Some of the fazers came from the factory with a blockage in the coolant circuit in the carbs and are more prone to it, but is easily fixed.

Since the issue happens during a run of a few miles in excess of 70mph and drains the carbs it is most likely the pump that is misbehaving.

Bypassing the pump on a full tank of fuel is the easiest way to check a faulty pump if you do not have special pressure testers.

grizzler

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - GSX600F
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 04 June 2016, 10:42:06 pm »
The new pump arrived today and is now installed I'll get to test it tomorrow.. I'll let you know the outcome. ..
Life is never complete. Once you've discovered rock music, beer, bikes & girls, you have the rest of your life to intimately explore each one.. Good luck with finishing that project.

Ferg

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 June 2016, 08:31:58 am »
Fuel pump?

grizzler

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - GSX600F
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 06 June 2016, 10:36:38 pm »
Ok.. so new pump is good and i can now cruise at over 60 with no problems... All is good... or is it? I'm sure that the pump is not supposed to be constantly pumping. Turn on the ignition and off she goes, pumping for England till what is assume is a timer tells it to stop. Now here's the killer. Press the stater and fire her up and the pump is going 10 to the dozen . Never slows it's rate n does not stop. When stationery it sound like the little ends are knocking g to come out. It wouls believe this is not good but for the fact that although it's pumping hard there is no leaking of fuel anywhere.. it's just like my luck to buy a brand new duffer of a pump but as it had to change the electrical conecter in can't send the bleeder back. But at least in know where the original problem stemmed from.. do these pumps have an internal presure sensor that makes them stop or is that controlled elsewhere? ?? Ps I've started a new whole in my garage wall...lol..

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06 June 2016, 11:31:37 pm »
I'm pretty sure all fuel pumps shut off with pressure. I'd try disconnecting the outlet from the pump. Put your finger over the outlet while it's pumping and it should shut off. If it does shut off then the pump is working and the problem is probably the float needle in the carbs not seating properly and the carbs are flooding. If the pump keeps pumping with your finger over the outlet then the pump is the problem. Be careful with the petrol

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07 June 2016, 07:22:26 am »
Yes, the pump should cut out with time or pressure and you should test it as his dudeness says.

Out of curiosity where did you get the pump? There are a number of cheaply made rubbish pumps around and the fact it had the wrong connector should have aroused suspicion immediately

Since the pump is not an overly common fault on the 600 I would have risked a one from a breakers like Fazerspares in Bristol or known reliable breakers in you own area.

grizzler

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - GSX600F
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 June 2016, 09:01:18 pm »
I have tested as suggested and it doesn't stop.
But as I said there is absolutely no fuel leakage anywhere nor is there the smell of petrol. So although the pump is pumping enough fuel for me to ride happily at autobahn speeds it would suggest that it isn't actually pumping excessive amounts of fuel to overflow or even flood the carbs. Stranger n stranger...

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 09 June 2016, 12:10:02 am »
Unless it has an internal bypass valve. I personally would not leave it on the bike unless I knew how it worked.

Where did you get it and does it have make/model info on it?

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11 June 2016, 11:14:47 am »
sounds like the pump you bought is faulty ! !

as for original problem  stupid i know but have you checked the breather is clear on the tank filler neck ??? easily overlooked
 as it deffinately sounds like a starvation problem  :)
waters wet, shit stinks !

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11 June 2016, 11:49:25 am »

As your new pump hasn't fixed the fault and doesn't have a pressure cut-off switch, I'd stick the old one back on.
Maybe it's an electrical problem, intermittent fuel pump relay perhaps.
The control signal for the fuel pump relay comes from the ignitor unit.
Try the usual search for loose and corroded connectors, damaged wires etc. and if nothing looks wrong, a new relay.

<edit> Sorry. Ignore this, missed the post where you found the original problem is solved!
« Last Edit: 11 June 2016, 04:21:38 pm by Fazerider »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11 June 2016, 02:33:31 pm »
Just to correct a common misnomer, the fuel pump is not controlled  by the ignitor, it gets it power from the Ignition fuse via the Kill switch and a relay which is is controlled by the ignitor.

The ignitor supplies an earth to switch on the pump relay, but knows nothing of the Fuel pump. All controls like the pressure control and timer are within the pump housing

The pump you bought is either faulty or not the correct one for the FZS600.

grizzler

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - GSX600F
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 11 June 2016, 08:01:07 pm »
I have pump number 3 (including the original duffer) on it's way.
This one I am promised by a good friend of a good friend who breaks bikes that this one is off a running 03 model.
In the meantime I have put a new tyre on the front as the v shaped one I had was getting fun to use..lol..
I stripped the old knackered pump just to see how it works. It would seem there are 2 valves inside it so I'm going with a faulty valve on the new one but as I had to change the connector I can't send it back. Lesson learned. . When the next pump is in place n tested I will report.. in the meantime I  have learned to count to 10 and say the words please,  thank you and beer in German...lol..

grizzler

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - GSX600F
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 19 June 2016, 08:49:05 pm »
Just to update and thank you all for your suggestions and advice. The pump I have aquire is working perfectly and I am able to cruise over 70 without a problem. Happy days as I'm off to Germany on Thursday. Nothing like leaving it late..lol.. Thanks to all who helped and although i don't wish it on anyone i hope I can help someone else out with a problem in the future. RIDE SAFE...

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 19 June 2016, 11:39:48 pm »
Have a good trip, glad to see you got sorted  :thumbup