Date: 19-04-24  Time: 21:06 pm

Author Topic: Stuck chain links advice?  (Read 2426 times)

markus2066

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Stuck chain links advice?
« on: 20 February 2016, 11:35:40 am »
Hi Guys,

Hope your all well.

I have noticed a number of stiff/seized links in my chain, I have taken the rear wheel off and done my best to free them up some were easier than others....

I'm surprised this has happened as the chain and sprockets looked like they were quite new when I brought the bike and it gets regular (daily) use and I regularly oil the chain (holts lube). Perhaps the previous owner neglected the chain abit or its a cheap chain, not sure.

Is they anything product or process anyone is aware of which might help revive the chain abit, it would be nice to try and get a few more miles out of it as its otherwise quite unworn. Also I just purchased two new tyres and a carb rebuild kit so rather not spend another £100 on it at the moment....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

CaptainCazador

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck chain links advice?
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2016, 11:38:54 am »
Give the chain a liberal squirt of WD or similar roll the offending links on to the rear sprocket and give the chain a good belt with a rubber mallet.

Also either fit a scottoiler or use a decent chain lube muc odd dry lube is quite good.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2016, 11:50:10 am »
I know red98 has been known to take the whole chain off and soak it overnight in engine oil to help with this problem.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2016, 12:27:56 pm »
I have noticed a number of stiff/seized links in my chain, I have taken the rear wheel off and done my best to free them up some were easier than others....

I'm sorry to say the chain has had it.

I'm surprised this has happened as the chain and sprockets looked like they were quite new when I brought the bike and it gets regular (daily) use and I regularly oil the chain (holts lube).

It's very possible it was fitted badly/adjusted incorrectly/cheap chain.  The amount of chains I've had to replace with a few 1000's miles on after they've been fitted badly is scandalous, many just have little or no idea how to fit them.   

Perhaps the previous owner neglected the chain abit or its a cheap chain, not sure.
More than likely.

Is they anything product or process anyone is aware of which might help revive the chain abit, it would be nice to try and get a few more miles out of it as its otherwise quite unworn.
If it's an O/X ring chain there's little that can be done as by definition the O/X rings that stop the grease getting out stop lub getting in. You will be able to nurse it for a while but there is no way of reversing the damage and it will only get steadily worse.  If it's not O/X ring lubing will help but only to a point.   

Also I just purchased two new tyres and a carb rebuild kit so rather not spend another £100 on it at the moment...

Why do you need to rebuild the carbs?
Later

markus2066

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2016, 12:44:28 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for all the speedy replies guys.

Some of the links were really stiff so I ended up going at them with a can of gt85, think I'm going to drop a load of engine oil on the inside of the chain and every day this week on lunch at work (imagine if anythings got a chance of working its way into the chain its a lighter oil), bound to make a mess but I don't really want yo take the chain off. If I get a few more pay packets under my belt before I splash out on a new chain and sprockets.

Not sure if its an O or X hard to see with all the dirt (which I'm sure is part of the issue), riding all of a very wet winter certainly wont of helped I'm sure.

I rebuilt my carbs because one if the seals on the float bowl was leaking and a set of seals were £18 and a whole kit was £40, turned out to be a good move most of the seals were dry/hard and cracked. Its early days but its starting much better, it wasn't starting like it used to before.

Ferg

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2016, 07:05:59 pm »

I'm sorry to say the chain has had it.

I'm surprised this has happened as the chain and sprockets looked like they were quite new when I brought the bike and it gets regular (daily) use and I regularly oil the chain (holts lube).

It's very possible it was fitted badly/adjusted incorrectly/cheap chain.  The amount of chains I've had to replace with a few 1000's miles on after they've been fitted badly is scandalous, many just have little or no idea how to fit them.   

Perhaps the previous owner neglected the chain abit or its a cheap chain, not sure.
More than likely.

Is they anything product or process anyone is aware of which might help revive the chain abit, it would be nice to try and get a few more miles out of it as its otherwise quite unworn.
If it's an O/X ring chain there's little that can be done as by definition the O/X rings that stop the grease getting out stop lub getting in. You will be able to nurse it for a while but there is no way of reversing the damage and it will only get steadily worse.  If it's not O/X ring lubing will help but only to a point.   

Also I just purchased two new tyres and a carb rebuild kit so rather not spend another £100 on it at the moment...

Why do you need to rebuild the carbs?

What he said. Its goosed. Don't waste your time. Get a new chain before you need a new engine.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2016, 08:35:49 pm »
Scrap the chain if it is bad enough to have seized a link, it is bad enough to break. :eek

A chain breaking could well cost much more than £100 and you would still have to buy a chain. :'(

Cut your losses and buy a chain and sprockets :thumbup
« Last Edit: 21 February 2016, 03:16:27 pm by unfazed »

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2016, 02:11:36 pm »
Scrap the chain if it is bad enough to seized a link, it is bad enough to break. :eek

A chain breaking could well cost much more than £100 and you would still have to buy a chain. :'(

Cut your losses and buy a chain and sprockets :thumbup

:agree  Have a look at linky below. Bloke wasn't going fast but keep an eye on the steering he has to do.

Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

markus2066

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 February 2016, 08:29:19 pm »
Hi guys, seems like a pretty solid consensus on replacing the chain. I tend to ride faster than the guy in the vid so feel mine snapping would be worse than that.

I'll get one ordered in the week, thanks everyone.