Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

New Brake Discs - is fitting an arse?

(1/2) > >>

mickdel:
I've found a set of new brake discs I got from ebay a few years ago.  They came via hong kong,  and seem substantial enough (wavy type),  and had some good feedback from folk in the uk and a lot of units sold here.  I was just wondering how much pain is involved in replacing them for the standard discs (which only have 13k on them).   I've not the know how to do it myself,  and on such a safety critical component wouldn't try if I could.   

Any ideas on cost?   I'll probably ask Deefer when I get some cash together, but just thought I'd ask now as I've found a few bits to go on.   Found some WRP racing jack up dog bones, which look nice as well.  Still in packet, and cost over 60 notes.   Much nicer than the last ones I had on.

Mickrick

ghostbiker:
Can't be that hard as I did mine ... Well I didn't replace but took them off so I could powdercoat the wheels.

If I remember the hard part was undoing the bolts. 2 rounded off, one I got out with an impact driver and the other I droped the lose wheel in to a shop for them to get out in the end.

If it was me I would allways replace the bolts along with the discs as I have seen how easy they can round off.

As for price for a shop to Do it. I would think 30 mins to an hours labour charge. 30-70 quid
Although I would be upset if I was charged much over 30 on a lose wheel.

But if you can take a wheel out then you can change a disc.

Tools would be a GOOD fitting allen socket , a can of penitraiting oil and a tourqe wrench to do it back up with.

mickdel:

Thanks Ghosty

Do you have torque settings for the bolts?   I already have the bolts, and a wrench but gow did you hold the socket over the bolts on the disc?   Was it easy?   When I was having my rear wheel replaced in the then Blays of Twickenham,   they had sheared most of the bolts off, and had to drill them out,  which was why I thought the job might be beyond me.   

They did an excellent job on drilling out all the exup bolts and setting it up.  Different bods I guess.

mick

slappy:
I haven`t changed the discs on my fazer but I did on my zrx1100. The bolts usually have some type of threadlock on from the factory and I found the best way to undo them was to heat the bolts up with a paint stripper and and while a mate sat on the bike and held the front brake on I just slackened off the bolts a bit.Then when I removed the wheel from the bike all the bolts came off ok.
I put a piece off sheet metal I had lying around between the tyre and the disc to protect it from the heat.
I wasn`t bothered about the heat maybe warping the discs as they were going in the bin but if you wanted to re-use the discs this method might not be ideal.
Also I put threadlock on the bolts when I put the new discs on.

mickdel:
Thanks.   I've got a mate half way through his motorcycle certificate course in motherwell.  It will be a nice ride up,  and he's just got himself one of those rising ramp/bench things.  His is strong enough to hold his suzuki 1800 intruder!   And he's got all the tools.   So when I get my bike back,  that's where I'll head, as it's all free.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version