Date: 19-04-24  Time: 07:06 am

Author Topic: Just bought me...  (Read 1527 times)

Ballpien

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Just bought me...
« on: 13 September 2014, 09:49:33 pm »
...this little beast

I shall be picking brains regarding 6 pots/R1 forks, R1 rear fairing/light, PC5 /maps and prolly some other stuff I'm not aware of yet

You have been warned  8)

“This anti-climax reminded me of the time when my girlfriend said she needed her ring widening and we walked straight past Superdrug to H.M.Samuel”

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Just bought me...
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2014, 10:35:37 pm »
Welcome in

I can see you're gonna make a few of us jealous pretty soon with your mods,

A stonking bike even in standard form. 8)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Ballpien

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2014, 11:26:37 pm »
Cheers noggy

I won't be doing most of these in the short term, just spent all spare funds on the bike, new lid and some additional security.

Tbh I'm not sure about the forks at all as the bike came with a nitron shock and uprated front springs...I'd be interested to know if those springs would fit in R1 forks or whether 6pot callipers would just bolt on to these forks. I'm no mechanic... as you may have guessed ;)

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. It's nice to find a active FZ1 forum rather than one where the last post is 3 years old
“This anti-climax reminded me of the time when my girlfriend said she needed her ring widening and we walked straight past Superdrug to H.M.Samuel”

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2014, 09:49:35 am »
sounds like a familiar story.....my bike is tricked out but I don't really know its history.....It has a Nitron track rear shock which I couldn't adjust the rebound on and I didn't have the preload tool.....I now have it nicely sorted out...bit of penetrating fluid on the adjustor and a new tool from Nitron and I went harder on the preload.

My front end then the previous owner wasn't sure if it had had uprated front springs but he thought it might have....well im a fat bastard and I sorted out the preload for my weight and I did the rebound for the skipping or juddering on the front end but I've now wound the compression fully out and I've got a cable tie on the front fork and after much spirited riding it is much better.....in an ideal world I could afford to wind it some more as I still have a fair bit of travel left before bottoming out but this is the best I'm gonna get it. But considering my weight and still not able to bottom out then it must have uprated springs.

as far as mods then my bike has the ivans fuel cut eliminator, integrated rear lights, led front indicators, gilles rear sets, carbon rad cover, carbon tank cover, rad grill, MRA screen, gel seat....all on it when I got her.

I've recently blocked of the Air Intake System (AIS) - a free mod
I did the Lars air box mod (on youtube..real easy) - also a free mod
& I've added a K&N air filter.

any more mods and I'd need a power commander but I cant afford one right now and the bike is fast enough....a little bit jerky on the throttle going around roundabouts and sometimes mid corner depending on the gear but im used to it.

I think most on here have the PC3...probably as they are more achievable as second hand options.

ref the brakes......what's wrong with the Standard Silver spots?....I find them fine.....although if the suspension is set up too hard it will make the brakes 'seem' as if they aren't that good...im sure you know that ...maybe you just fancy something different....but im sure ive read a few threads whereby it was decreed that 6 pots isn't always better than 4 etc.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2014, 12:32:48 pm by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2014, 12:26:57 pm »
Hello there.

Nice bike, same as mine (and Noggys)

welcome to the forum
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Ballpien

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2014, 05:26:25 pm »
Sounds fairly similar to mine then...except I haven't ridden it yet (test aside). I collect the bike tomorrow at 1PM. The fella who had it had had  :foc the rear set up for him (18.5st) so I'll have to get that adjusted (I'm a rather anorexic 15st by comparison).

I've followed a link (from here) to a yank site where a fella called Ivan seems to be doing good things with the ECU, so I'll get a PC3/5 (I'm no racer, I just want decent fuelling, so whatever is cheaper) and I'll see if I can get hold of one of his maps, if they're still available?

I like the look of the Gilles r/sets. I saw them on another bike for sale (Manchester) so maybe somewhere in the dim and distant future I'll see if I can get hold of a set from somewhere. Mine has the original r/sets with Oberon footpegs.

With regard the air box, it has a K&N filter. I haven't asked him about any air box mods and he/his ad didn't mention anything...even so, I'm off this week so maybe I'll have a go at them.

Not sure what the fuel cut eliminator does but reading that Ivan thread it seems it isn't needed once a PC is installed, is that right?

Brakes? Well I just assumed 6pot were better than 4, and what with them being from the R1 I thought it would offer additional breaking power...if that isn't the case then I won't bother because I certainly wasn't doing it for the aesthetics.

I'd be interested to know how much different the gel seat is to the original, too

Hello there.Nice bike, same as mine (and Noggys)
welcome to the forum

Hi Slim.

Seems I'm not the only with exquisite taste around here.  8)

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2014, 06:34:02 pm by Ballpien »

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2014, 05:30:56 pm »
Hi ballpein, welcome to the forum, we have our very own ivanising guru here just look for the threads.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Paul Myrus

• Cager in Training
  • If Carlsberg made Bikes......
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • soundshapesrecordings.
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2014, 07:17:36 pm »
Gorgeous!! Wecome, looking to put the R1 back on my next model too.  :)

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
  • loving the new ivanised beast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2014, 09:37:05 pm »
welcome to the forum tidy bike ,enjoy it  :faz
please god let the sun keep shining