Date: 26-04-24  Time: 15:23 pm

Author Topic: Starting up without throttle.  (Read 1297 times)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Starting up without throttle.
« on: 14 April 2013, 10:19:54 am »
Reading davebo's post in the thou section entitled-starting on the button, ive made a few observations recently on when my 600 has & hasnt started on the button.

My bike has always started on the button,choke first thing but no throttle at any time. 8)

After recently fitting my K&N air filter it no longer did it,now needed just a little throttle. :\

Then fitted my simmi end can yestaerday & hey presto....back to starting on the button again :)

So taking the ability to start on the button as a general indicator of being in tune.

What is my pea brain deducing-well could it be that with the k&n there was greater air flow into the bike but not enough out through the standard exhaust & it was enough to upset the balance.

Then getting the new exhaust has increased the flow out through the exhaust enough to match the air flow in & is now back in harmony??????????
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Stedman8

• DAS Born Again
  • it aint easy bein' sleazy
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Starting up without throttle.
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2013, 10:28:40 am »
This is what is meant by Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance,grasshopper - harmony in all things will bring out the best in man and machine  :)
get off the cooker granny, you're too old to ride the range

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2013, 10:54:11 am »
could be,could be..........so the next step is to match inlet/outlet ports to manifolds and re-jet the carbs  :D .....now wheres that dremmel  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2013, 10:55:40 am »
This is what is meant by Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance,grasshopper - harmony in all things will bring out the best in man and machine  :)

Ha ha, well the first thing that folk usually say is 'do i have to get a re-jet if i get a new can or a k&n air filter?'
And the fazer monks say no coz the fazer runs lean as standard anyway.But folk may not always think theyd have to replace both to get the fazer Zen as upgrading 2 things would seem to some to increase their chances of issues but in my case my bike is running completely sweet with the combo. 8)

I've got lucky i think, a different can or filter may not have produced the same results.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2013, 10:59:14 am »
could be,could be..........so the next step is to match inlet/outlet ports to manifolds and re-jet the carbs  :D .....now wheres that dremmel  ;)

Ill stick to being a bolt on bodger thanks :D

I know my limitations & i did need to ask for advice just to put the can on :o

I know one thing though, i would have done jack shit to my bike had a not joined this forum 8)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2013, 11:05:07 am »

Ill stick to being a bolt on bodger thanks :D

I know my limitations & i did need to ask for advice just to put the can on :o

I know one thing though, i would have done jack shit to my bike had a not joined this forum 8)

hehe....yes very good forum....all this porting talk takes me back to my teens and playing with suzuki`s gt 250 x7....lots of power to be had with  them  :eek

as you already know no need to re jet with the changes you have made,what you do need to do though is

GET ON AND RIDE IT  :D ..............enjoy your fazer  :D [size=78%] [/size]
One, is never going to be enough.....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2013, 11:40:50 am »

Ha ha, well the first thing that folk usually say is 'do i have to get a re-jet if i get a new can or a k&n air filter?'
And the fazer monks say no coz the fazer runs lean as standard anyway.But folk may not always think theyd have to replace both to get the fazer Zen as upgrading 2 things would seem to some to increase their chances of issues but in my case my bike is running completely sweet with the combo. 8)

I've got lucky i think, a different can or filter may not have produced the same results.

You were almost right, in a wrong sort of way, these bikes run rich as standard.
Adding the K&N gives it more air and should really balance things out a bit, but at the same time the choke takes away the air.
It's all a bit confusing really :rolleyes
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.