Date: 25-04-24  Time: 02:53 am

Author Topic: different carbs.  (Read 3453 times)

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
different carbs.
« on: 30 December 2011, 01:55:37 am »
Hi all, just curious to know if anyone has experimented with carbs from different bikes? I know the thundercat and r6 are a similar engine layout to the fazer but do they have slightly bigger carbs with same mounting bolt holes maybe?

I have done it to cars many moons ago and it made a world of difference to them so could be worth investigating.
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: different carbs.
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2011, 11:11:57 am »
another option is to get your carbs bored to a bigger size,that has been done a few times but i would not know who or where can do it though

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2011, 11:26:01 am »
Thundercat is a totally different engine especially the top end all be it they share certain internal parts with the Fazer, R6 everything is different.  The carbs from either will not fit without serious mods it would be easier to fit the whole Thundercat engine  :rollin :rollin :wall  and that alone will be a serious bit of work which wont be worth the effort.     Fazers dont really respond to tuning without spending serious money stick a K&N in and fit a good set down pipes/end can they run much crisper and give a few more bhp in the mid range.  They do however respond to handling improvements the standard shock is crap and the front end needs stiffer springs and a play with the oil once done they go much better allowing you to use what power there is lets face it most can't use what's there as standard this side of a race track :lol .  Once done with a good rider on they will stick with just about anything in the twisty stuff or in normal town traffic.

Crabs being bored thats a new one never heard of that!!!
Later

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2011, 02:01:33 pm »
Thanks for the replys. i have just ordered a pipercross foam air filter so will see if that makes it nicer. was thinking about exhaust but i am a fairly hefty person so was considering the shock/forks route 1st.
Anyone know if the Hagon shocks are any good?
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2011, 05:22:16 pm »
Tuning the FZS600 isnt a popular option.  If TTS had've brought in the 660cc pistons they advertised for the Thundercat it might have been a different story.

I've found Hagon to be disappointing on 2 of my previous bikes, but others feel differently about their kit. IMO the basic Nitron emulsion shock is well worth the extra £40 over the Hagon unit & will spring it to your weight.   

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2011, 05:41:45 pm »
i had a hagon on my FJ1200 and i had no issues with it,and i would probably have another,but then it will depend on a lot of factors like your riding style and weight,im pretty normal and i dont ride like i was on a race track so the hagon was an improvement on the original

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2011, 10:12:40 am »
i am 6'3 and 17 stone.. so i pity the standard shock. i have it 2 from top and it still feels soft to me.
I guess the best performance gain would be to slim down a little lol.
Lord,
Amen

born to be mild

• Weekend Warrior
  • I am not a number, I am a free man.
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Speedtriple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2011, 11:05:17 am »
Just a suggestion but why not get a Thunderace, or a Fazer thousand if funds allow it.

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 January 2012, 01:58:07 am »
I will be honest its my 1st big bike so didn't want to get anything ott to begin with. Friends who have been riding years suggested the fazer 600 as a good starting bike. It also came up at a bargain price so I couldn't say no...
In truth I like to fiddle and try mods that haven't been done before. Usual stuff of exhausts and air filters etc. Is fine but I want that little extra  :evil

In the future I plan to get a large-ish Vtwin but for now the fazer will be more than enough I am sure.

Oh and happy new year..
Lord,
Amen

born to be mild

• Weekend Warrior
  • I am not a number, I am a free man.
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Speedtriple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 January 2012, 11:26:58 am »
Good point, bikes like the Thunderace etc are real licence shredders and if you like tinkering then Ive missed the point. I was just thinking that the time & expense were the downside but not reckoning on the the fact that you obviously get satisfaction with improving things. For me the Fazer is plenty fast enough but Im a real wuss, anyway, good luck with it.

wraith600

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 January 2012, 03:55:17 pm »
if your going to change youre bike why tinker to much esp with the engine an as been said thay do respond to handling mods . def change the shock + stiffer springs & heaver oil up frount any more is a waste of money unless its going to be around for a wile or you got money to burn .for an idea how far you can go

http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l568/wraith600/

link to old site     http://fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/32785/my-600#.TsGZuMO5Pdw

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,484.msg2583.html#msg2583

follow me and ile show you were to crash

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,484.msg2583.html#msg2583