Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:09 pm

Author Topic: gear change indicator  (Read 2265 times)

FLINT

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
gear change indicator
« on: 10 December 2019, 09:28:19 pm »
Hi, could anyone give a bit of advice on the wiring for a gear change indicator I'm fitting.
I guess a few of you have experience of fitting them.

It's mostly done but as it's not on the road till Jan 1st so I cant try it out.
Do I need to set it up on the road as the speedo pick up I see is on the front wheel or can it be done on the centre stand.
The instructions were a bit vague and I don't read Chinese to well !
 I've wired the pick up wire to the yellow as pic do you think this is correct ? 
Thanks
Andy.     

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: gear change indicator
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2019, 11:03:58 pm »
I don’t think that’s right, the TPS won’t be involved. The gear indicator has to do some arithmetic using the speed of the bike and engine revs, so it’ll be the Red/White one from the pickup coil and either the White or Blue/Yellow from the front wheel speedo sensor (not sure which of those has the pulses).

FLINT

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2019, 11:56:04 pm »
Thanks for that, hopefully by chance I could have it right.
These pics are where I joined in as the wire changes from red/white to yellow at the connector block from the pick up coil
and the other end under the tank has the white connectors plugging in between the original  white connectors. Do you think that's correct ?Cheers.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2019, 11:57:28 pm by FLINT »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2019, 10:08:42 am »

Can’t quite make out enough detail in those photos, there’s weird patterning over them almost like they’ve been photographed off another screen.
I think the engine pickup one is correct and the second shot looks as if the triangular connector has the right colours to be the speedo sensor. Oddly, the Yamaha diagram shows White, Blue, Black going to White, Blue/Yellow, Black/Blue… looking at an old sensor I have it actually has Red, White, Black wires coming from it which looks (I think) like what you have there. I’d expect the white wire to be the one with the wanted pulses, but maybe someone else can confirm.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2019, 10:13:47 am »
What brand / model indicator are you trying to fit?

I recently fitted a GiPro X-Type G2 to my Fazer. Tapped in as follows (if this helps)...
As the wires for your gear indicator will likely be different, I wont reference those. However on the bike...

- Ignition 12v switched live for power (Light brown). Plus might also include Black wire for chassis/ground.
- Speed sensor tapped into 3-pole white coupler in electrical box (under tank).
- Crankshaft sensor signal (yellow wire) behind Left side panel (the one with the seat lock barrel).

Speed signal can also be taken from front wheel sensor. Follow the lead back to where it plugs into Bikes wiring loom. Disconnect it. Rotate the front wheel with ignition on. If the speedo remains at 0, you've located the right lead.

FLINT

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2019, 02:23:23 pm »
Thanks for those reply's very helpful.
This was the one from Ebay " cheep but hopefully it will do the job":= 323528535793
Yes sorry about the quality of the pics they were from pc screen so did 2 more a bit clearer hopefully.
Cheers.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2019, 02:39:02 pm by FLINT »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2019, 02:59:26 pm »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2019, 08:29:42 pm »
This was the one from Ebay " cheep but hopefully it will do the job"
That looks like it gos to 8 - everyone knows Fazers only have 7 gears  :lol
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

FLINT

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2019, 08:49:41 pm »
This was the one from Ebay " cheep but hopefully it will do the job"

:D  cheers could go a bit quicker with those extra's !
and yes it looks the same as the go-pro and that wiring looks the same just hope it works as well  :smash [size=78%] [/size]
« Last Edit: 11 December 2019, 08:52:38 pm by FLINT »

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 December 2019, 04:51:21 pm »
I've got the same one which from my instructions has just the two wires.  One to pick up a live feed.

The other picks up a grey cable located in a two pin plug with white and grey cables that sits behind the panel housing the key release for the seat.  You can see them poked down the edge next to the frame.

Others have fitted the exact same one so might be able to offer something more technical than me.

FLINT

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 December 2019, 10:13:32 pm »
I've got the same one which from my instructions has just the two wires.  One to pick up a live feed.

The other picks up a grey cable located in a two pin plug with white and grey cables that sits behind the panel housing the key release for the seat.  You can see them poked down the edge next to the frame.

Others have fitted the exact same one so might be able to offer something more technical than me.

Cheers mate I'll try the grey cable if the yellow fails to work it when I test it on the road, which I'm still not sure is the only way to set it up ?

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 December 2019, 12:28:48 pm »
The heading says 6 speed so what happens when you change up into 7th gear for motorway cruising?  Looks like they didn't set it up for the UK spec 7 gear models

FLINT

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 December 2019, 12:32:20 am »
The heading says 6 speed so what happens when you change up into 7th gear for motorway cruising?  Looks like they didn't set it up for the UK spec 7 gear models

:lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 December 2019, 09:41:44 pm »
I don't see the need for a gear change indicator really other that to tell me I am ALREADY IN 6TH :smokin Even though I have had the bike for 18 years I still go for 7th.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

FLINT

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 December 2019, 12:04:55 am »
I don't see the need for a gear change indicator really other that to tell me I am ALREADY IN 6TH :smokin Even though I have had the bike for 18 years I still go for 7th.

This is one reason I got a gear indicator on my previous bike, getting tired after a long ride on twisty roads thinking I'm still in 3rd and going for 2nd
when I was already there and thinking I'm still in the last century where changing down was a good way to get some braking was normal, hence the gentle
park up to check the underwear  :eek  it was also before I fixed the gearbox as it wasn't going into gear always.

https://s1227.photobucket.com/user/boniface9/media/Lockup/judderlockyup2013_06_11_20_46_07_zps3340c305.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0
« Last Edit: 16 December 2019, 08:15:17 pm by FLINT »

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 31 December 2019, 01:56:53 am »
Any update on the installation?

I'm only asking so I get some reassurance when I come to do mine....lol

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: 31 December 2019, 01:52:03 pm »

That indicator is already fitted to the FZS600 (and many other models) as standard. It is only in 6th gear when the rev counter is further down the scale than the speedo. 5th gear indicator is there already too. That is the one where the rev counter and speedo are almost parallel. All other gears are a bit of a guess as the rev counter is always further round the scale than the speedo.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

FLINT

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 January 2020, 10:03:09 pm »
Any update on the installation?

I'm only asking so I get some reassurance when I come to do mine....lol

Yep seemed to all go ok just waiting to get it in for a M.O.T. so I can set it while riding, shows all the gears on the unit display when ignition
is switched on "fingers crossed" put some air horns, alarm and accessory point on while off road, all just cheap items for Ebay.
Vid of if it works ! cheers.

https://youtu.be/Hi6dnICBoTY

« Last Edit: 10 January 2020, 10:04:58 pm by FLINT »