Date: 23-04-24  Time: 15:22 pm

Author Topic: Motor insurance experts?  (Read 2991 times)

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Motor insurance experts?
« on: 11 April 2016, 10:55:11 am »
Ok foccers fountain of knowledge...
My wife's car was hit last summer whilst unoccupied and repairs were fully funded by the third parties insurance. Now we come to renew our policy the price goes up because of this incident. She has kept her max no claims bonus.
Surely this increase is an uninsured loss as we will have to declare this for 5 years. I have spoken to the other drivers insurance company who don't consider this to be an uninsured loss. Over 5 years it has potential to be a few hundred pounds.
Thoughts???

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Motor insurance experts?
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2016, 11:11:35 am »
I am on the exact same situation, my bike was knocked over in car park. I was paid out but every year i have to declare it even though no fault of mine.

Its even affecting other policies where i get named as a driver. My partners brother insured me on his wee van, he said adding me with no claims would be £30 extra, he then added my claim and it was £80 extra... Shocking if you ask me.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2016, 11:36:10 am »
I have wondered about a small claims case against the third party insurers but the loss over 5 years would be difficult to quantity at this time.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2016, 01:04:34 pm »
I had this on a no fault claim - 100% the other party and although I had to declare it there was no increase in premiums.
Are you sure that it has gone up because of the incident or its just the usual insurance company trying it on - like they do every year   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2016, 01:11:33 pm »
Definitely because of the incident. I ran the quote with no incidents to declare then when I renewed they checked the quote over the phone and added it as a result of the claim :(

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2016, 01:17:04 pm »
same here mine went up.  its not right.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2016, 01:44:16 pm »

Some insurers’ data shows that drivers who were in an accident that wasn’t their fault are more likely to be in an accident again that is their fault in the next few years.

That’s why if you’re in a non-fault accident, your car insurance premium might rise at renewal.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2016, 02:15:42 pm »

Some insurers’ data shows that drivers who were in an accident that wasn’t their fault are more likely to be in an accident again that is their fault in the next few years.

That’s why if you’re in a non-fault accident, your car insurance premium might rise at renewal.

That's exactly what they said.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2016, 04:25:11 pm »
:agree

The insurance industry are a bunch of bastards.

Despite the accident damage being fully reclaimed, they still load your policy. You still get the no-claims discount for not having an at-fault claim but consider you a higher risk now as you have provide you park your car where its likely to get damaged.

I know this as my mrs had the same thing.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2016, 05:05:17 pm »
My wife's car was hit last summer whilst unoccupied and repairs were fully funded by the third parties insurance. Now we come to renew our policy the price goes up because of this incident. She has kept her max no claims bonus.
Surely this increase is an uninsured loss as we will have to declare this for 5 years. I have spoken to the other drivers insurance company who don't consider this to be an uninsured loss. Over 5 years it has potential to be a few hundred pounds.
Thoughts???

You can't prove its a loss and how much. The increase is with your current insurer, but you can goto someone else. I mean some insurance companies do not use no-fault claims when calculate the price you pay. Means they will argue you can go to such insurer. Which by the way you should do. Just shop around and find cheaper insurance.
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2016, 06:28:44 pm »
Thoughts???

You can't prove its a loss and how much. The increase is with your current insurer, but you can goto someone else. I mean some insurance companies do not use no-fault claims when calculate the price you pay. Means they will argue you can go to such insurer. Which by the way you should do. Just shop around and find cheaper insurance.

Unfortunately this insurer is the cheapest...even when the premium is loaded.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 April 2016, 06:29:57 pm »
:agree

The insurance industry are a bunch of bastards.

Despite the accident damage being fully reclaimed, they still load your policy. You still get the no-claims discount for not having an at-fault claim but consider you a higher risk now as you have provide you park your car where its likely to get damaged.

I know this as my mrs had the same thing.

ha ha....wondered who would be the first to say that about insurance companies!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 April 2016, 08:58:04 pm »
Yep, this is standard and is a load of cock!
Have several non fault claims and you're considered such a high risk you're uninsurable on an SRAD 750 which you have to sell and buy a fzs 600!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Some say...

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 April 2016, 09:11:33 pm »
insurance companies = shower of shite
fire never sleeps

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 April 2016, 10:51:28 pm »
Its interesting that they are happy to use statistics like 'you've had one accident so are more likely to have another' that puts the price up.......what about the statistics that were on here recently ' you ride a bike so you are less likely to have a claim in a car'???

Anyway...the very surprising outcome was I ran the quote again with the same details on a search engine and it is now £140 less (with same insurer) so old renewal cancelled and new quote accepted. I'll never understand this industry!

D

Fazer Forever

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 April 2016, 12:42:03 pm »
I had a classic quite a few years ago. If I added the wife to my policy it got cheaper. Best thing was she only had a provisional license!
The explanation was that when adding your partner you left the car at home for them to use, they didn't, and overall had less accidents.
Under-standable, but as she couldn't drive anyway how they came to this conclusion was beyond me.
Tell you what love, I'll leave the car for you that you can't drive and go walk for the bus in the pissing rain shall I? Crazy.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 April 2016, 02:00:33 pm »
I couldn't understand a couple of years ago when we added our daughters to the policy as learners. It became cheaper and we got a refund when the second daughter was added even though both were learners!
I can only assume that statistics show that there are fewer claims on policies with two learners on than one!