Date: 19-04-24  Time: 19:52 pm

Author Topic: Full Monty  (Read 7158 times)

Gray fox

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Full Monty
« on: 19 October 2011, 06:01:56 pm »
I am about to get an Ivans carb kit for my Gen 1. Bit confused about this full monty people keep refering to, is this a different kit or is it the same kit with mods done to the airbox, filter, & intake rubbers. I want extract the max performance from the bike, but being a Yorkshireman dont want to compromise the excellent fuel consumption. The bike is fitted with a Beowulf legal can. Any advice appreciated. 

chitsu

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Full Monty
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2011, 06:42:16 pm »
You just want the standard kit that is for a standard bike or one fitted with an after market can only !
Im pretty certain the full monty is a refferal to bike fitted with a FULL race system, either the Akrapovic, Yoshimura or Muzzys.
If you contact S.G Motorsport (the Ivans importer) they will supply you with the right kit.
As for fuel consumption it will be better overall, if ridden sedately it will return atleast 55mpg (well mine did any hows).

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2011, 08:31:13 pm »
The "Full Monty".  Ivan's MB jet kit, modified airbox and intake stubs, high flow air filter.  With a less restrictive end can (a must have - this option doesn't work with the standard can), good for around 138-140bhp.
« Last Edit: 19 October 2011, 08:35:43 pm by karlo »

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2011, 08:36:24 pm »
The original slip-on kit. good for around 130bhp with a less restrictive can.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2011, 10:01:32 pm »
Full monty will work fine with your beowolf can. No noticeable difference in fuel consumption if you ride the same - possibly slightly better but ...

You may have a problem riding the same  ;)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2011, 10:23:25 pm »
The full monty requires just a race can NOT a full system. The full monty also requires a bmc or k&n air filter. The differences between both types of ivans kit are that the full monty requires modification of the air box/ carb rubbers and a different carb kit to the slip on kit(i think! :\ ) The slip on kit requires the original air filter,as it would run lean with a k&n, but a race can or one that lets the bike breathe better than the original is probably required. Get the full monty if you can, as i have two fazers, one has the slip on kit and the other has the full monty. I don't really notice any difference in fuel consumption between the kits. It's really how hard you ride them  :eek Hope this helps... Mike will be along shortly to correct me in case i've cocked anything up! :lol
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GL1800 &amp Commando850
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2011, 10:28:29 pm »
Hi Gray Fox,
I've had the 'Full Monty' done to my '54 plate Genesis 1.
I too have a road legal Beowulf tri oval can.
Mike (falcon269 on these forums) is the recognised expert on the set up here and is highly recommended.
He did mine last year and many others on here too.
You don't need a race system, full or part.
There is an airbox mod included, besides the carb alterations/settings and the intake rubbers are reprofiled.
I didn't have the bike dynoed prior to the kit, but shortly after it gave just over 135bhp at the rear wheel (baffle in the pipe) and it's averageing 48mpg with a best of 55mpg. 
The economy is a bonus with this bike, but the kick out of corners is now something else.  :D
Go for it! :)

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.

Spud

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph T595
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2011, 06:54:31 am »
I have seen a few posts on here about these kits and I'm thinking about treating myself next year. Could anybody tell me about the costs involved ( minus the can), will I need to pay a visit to a dyno center afterwards ?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2011, 07:39:09 am »
Spud and Grey Fox, shoot me a PM with your e-mail addresses and I'll send you all the info you need to decide between the Full Monty or basic Slip-On kit.

Both use Ivan's jet kits.  The former requires the MB kit, the latter the original Slip-On kit.

Mike

dekker555

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2011, 07:28:26 pm »
And it works out of the box, you won't need it dynoed. I did my own (slip on) as Mike couldn't fit me in this time, BRILLIANT! Still regret missing the opportunity to meet the great man!

Spud

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph T595
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 October 2011, 07:17:58 am »
Spud and Grey Fox, shoot me a PM with your e-mail addresses and I'll send you all the info you need to decide between the Full Monty or basic Slip-On kit.

Both use Ivan's jet kits.  The former requires the MB kit, the latter the original Slip-On kit.

Mike

Thanks Falcon but Karlo has beat you to it and forwarded the one you sent to him previously. I am defiantly interested and will keep an eye open for the next time you are doing a batch.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 October 2011, 05:26:01 pm »
I don't think there has been 1 person that has had either the slip on or full kit and not raved at how good it is.

I came from a dyno jet kit to a full monty and even that was a big step forward in useability.
Mike is a pleasure to watch work as well.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 October 2011, 05:33:44 pm »

Thanks Falcon but Karlo has beat you to it and forwarded the one you sent to him previously. I am defiantly interested and will keep an eye open for the next time you are doing a batch.

Thanks, Karlo. :)

Spud, if you'd still care to e-mail me I can put you on the waiting list and I'll contact you direct the next time I'm planning a UK visit.

Mike